Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-02-2003, 01:10 AM

Default It\'s about the music! not PT 6.0

For me the DUC is like reading the sports page. It's a source of enjoyment for me. More than any other site or forum I've learned so much from all of you. So it is with a humble heart that I ask this one question? Is having PT v6.0 going to make you write a better song or become a better musician? Day after day someone is asking (complaining) when v6.0 will be out or why Digidesign is screwing the PC users. More tracks, more this, blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong...I'm looking forward to 6.0 but I also know that the bottom line is the MUSIC. I can have the best tools that money can buy, however it doesn't make a bad song better. Another perspective...having a new version is not necessarily a good thing. I've read that many of the plug-ins haven't been updated to work with 6.0. There's also the issue of having to spend another $40 for the ilok which everyone will need in order to authorize the plug-ins. In closing, I hope I haven't offended anyone. Just reminding everyone that it's all about the music...not the software. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2003, 04:38 AM

Default Re: It\'s about the music! not PT 6.0

Hello. In the big picture you are correct. But if everyone, including yourself, felt that way no one would show up here. Why bother, if it's ultimately only about the music. First off, Pro Tools is an audio editing software, not music. You can work in movies, sound effects, web audio, etc. 6.1, along with the DV Toolkit, will offer the SMPTE timeline again which greatly simplifies working with picture.

This version will also support Rewire2. This means Reason, and other Rewire2 applications, will work inside of Pro Tools in a simple manner. All the tools in the world don't make a bad song good. Having as many tools available to you significantly improves your options to paint sounds.

As for the plug ins and iLok, Mac's had to upgrade. 6.x is OSX only on Mac, and OSX require a complete rewrite of the code. Which meant ALL plug ins had to be rewritten. This is not the case with Windows XP. iLok implementation is up to each individual manufacturer. So that may happen, no matter what Digidesign does.

I agree with you, the best gear does not a good sound make. A good sound craftsman makes a good sound. But, as I mentioned above, if you and everybody else truly felt this way 100%, why come to the DUC. After all, it doesn't matter what tools you use or how you use them, it's all about the sound anyway right?
Old 06-02-2003, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Is having PT v6.0 going to make you write a better song or become a better musician? Day after day someone is asking (complaining) when v6.0 will be out or why Digidesign is screwing the PC users. More tracks, more this, blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong...I'm looking forward to 6.0 but I also know that the bottom line is the MUSIC. I can have the best tools that money can buy, however it doesn't make a bad song better.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hear what you're saying but sometimes gear improvement makes songs sound better and other times it makes it easier or faster to create a good sounding recording.

I recently upgraded my gear and my mixes are sounding better than they ever did thanks to some new tools. Also, many of us are working musicians on strict time deadlines, and we are anxiously awaiting the ReWire feature that will allow us to access certain programs (like Reason) from within Pro-Tools. It won't make our songs better, but it will cut down tremendously on the time and effort it takes to knock out a production using those programs. And time is money.
Yosemite OS
Old 06-02-2003, 10:28 AM

Yeah, you know what? That fancy-schmansy time stretching tool is going to make me a better musician. So is command focus.

So Feh.
-Olaf