Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on El Capitan

The reason why many drivers are not working anymore:
Apple extended the "kext signing" to drivers and only drivers from trusted sources are loaded by the El Capitan kernel, no bypass option here (like for applications in the control panel).
Old 09-22-2015, 09:28 PM

I haven't been able to get Fast Track C400 drivers working on 10.10.5 either. Has anyone else had any luck with this?
Old 09-24-2015, 08:12 AM

Hi Hoss33 not sure if "kext signing" is the complete story here. I have disabled the "System Integrity Protection" which includes disabling the ""kext signing" and re-run the driver still the same issue. Will just have to wait until a newer driver is released I think.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbojim View Post
Hi Hoss33 not sure if "kext signing" is the complete story here. I have disabled the "System Integrity Protection" which includes disabling the ""kext signing" and re-run the driver still the same issue. Will just have to wait until a newer driver is released I think.
"Regular" kext signing applies to applications only, the new thing with El Capitan is that the kernel only loads verified drivers.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:15 AM

I just have updated mine to El Capitan and realized that it does not support Fast Track C400 driver.

So, should I wait for a while or pick another one up?
As I know, this driver support issue has been happening whenever OSX upgrades itself and I don't believe this fragile support would be continued later on.

Your suggestions?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Lee View Post
I just have updated mine to El Capitan and realized that it does not support Fast Track C400 driver.

So, should I wait for a while or pick another one up?
As I know, this driver support issue has been happening whenever OSX upgrades itself and I don't believe this fragile support would be continued later on.

Your suggestions?
I also don't believe, but I hope.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM

I found how to get it working on el capitan

reinstall latest driver

Copy the Driver from

/System/Library/Extensions (Backup first!)

to

/Library/Extensions (Backup first!)

Restart

et voila'

works for m-audio fast track usb too.

First weird thing is that System Information > Software > Extensions shows that I have two kexts both unsigned and apparently unloaded. Before one was loaded and one was not, but there was version mismatch.

It seems I had old version of the driver in /Library/Extensions, which is the second weird thing because the latest installer doesn't put anything there. I guess it must be old driver install left it in there.
You may not have a driver to replace in /Library/Extensions

3rd weird thing... apparently even works without setting kext permissions... http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/ho...all-kexts.html if you have no idea what I'm talking about

You may want to do that before rebooting

Im not sure if its just that both drivers have to be the same in each folder, can't tell you what version will definitely work, but I downloaded latest from avid

Report back here please. and good luck

Last edited by aesc; 10-01-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-01-2015, 02:46 PM

ADDENDUM:
After more tinkering... it seems the Kext need only be in /Library/Extensions (for me)

It seems for Userland (i.e. unsigned kexts) - put them in /Library/Extensions to make it work... I suspect this for all hardware that was working under Yosemite but not in El Capitan.

It also seems that the latest kext that worked with yosemite is required.

REVISED INSTRUCTIONS:
So for any kext... get the latest and install it.

1. Go to System/Library/Extensions
2. copy the required kext
3. paste it to Library/Extensions
4. Open Terminal
5. type "cd Library/Extensions" and hit enter.
6. type "sudo chmod -R 755 copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter again.
7. type "sudo chown -R root:wheel copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter one more time
8. Reboot

Good luck

Last edited by aesc; 10-01-2015 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-01-2015, 04:01 PM

Hi aesc, thank you for looking into this.

I tried your instructions, but it didn´t work with Fast Track C400. It would not load because of kext signing, which I thought I had already disabled through nvram boot-args=kext-dev-mode=1.

However, this command does not affect El Capitan, and the only way to disable SIP (System Integrity Protection), is to boot into Recovery (CMD+R at boot), entering terminal and running the command csrutil disable.

This finally loaded the kext, but I am having the same problem as I frequently had in Yosemite; console says "VDCAssistant: Found a camera (0xfd12000007632030) , but was not able to start it up"..Any input would be appreciated. My solution in Yosemite would be to restart, but that is not working anymore.

For others; copying the kext didn´t actually do anything for me, it actually made OS X load the kext twice (one from each location). In order for you to get the driver to load, you must disable System Integrity Protection with csrutil.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesc View Post
ADDENDUM:
After more tinkering... it seems the Kext need only be in /Library/Extensions (for me)

It seems for Userland (i.e. unsigned kexts) - put them in /Library/Extensions to make it work... I suspect this for all hardware that was working under Yosemite but not in El Capitan.

It also seems that the latest kext that worked with yosemite is required.

REVISED INSTRUCTIONS:
So for any kext... get the latest and install it.

1. Go to System/Library/Extensions
2. copy the required kext
3. paste it to Library/Extensions
4. Open Terminal
5. type "cd Library/Extensions" and hit enter.
6. type "sudo chmod -R 755 copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter again.
7. type "sudo chown -R root:wheel copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter one more time
8. Reboot

Good luck
I tried everything but this way is not working for mbox 3. Still waiting for a solution or hardworking from avid.