Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2015, 05:40 PM

Default Re: connecting a patchbay to fast track ultra 8r

I get it know, it makes sense, I tried it and it works, I really appreciate your help and all that writing. As far as s/pdif I know it would sound better, I will tackle that next.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frn0003 View Post
I get it know, it makes sense, I tried it and it works, I really appreciate your help and all that writing. As far as s/pdif I know it would sound better, I will tackle that next.
As for better sound, you may not be able to hear the difference(and don't feel bad if you don't). But the other benefit that you probably didn't think about is, going out and back via digital will eliminate round-trip conversion(to analog and back), which will eliminate a bit of latency A nice bonus, in addition to not using up any analog IO

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 PM

I have the m audio ultra 8r and since it is in a rack all the xlr inputs are on the back, Is there something I can get that has the xld's on the front without preamps or do I get a preamp with xlr's on the front. I want to run my 2 channel mic pre amp compressor to a front mounted xlr unit and then into the ultra 8r. any suggestions?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:52 PM

http://artproaudio.com/art_products/...s/product/p16/

Not recommending that particular unit...several companies offer them...but that will show you what to start searching for...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Thanks, I will start my search
Old 03-21-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I have the m audio ultra 8r and since it is in a rack all the xlr inputs are on the back, Is there something I can get that has the xld's on the front without preamps or do I get a preamp with xlr's on the front. I want to run my 2 channel mic pre amp compressor to a front mounted xlr unit and then into the ultra 8r. any suggestions?
Don't run external preamps into your interface on XLR connections! External preamps( with or without compressor) need to be connected via the LINE inputs(the TRS jacks). Connecting an external preamp's line output to a mic input will send a preamp into a preamp...not a good idea(unless you want lots of distortion) Of course, you COULD use an XLR bay like Bill linked, but feed 2 of the pass-thru XLR's to TRS adapter cables. If you have decent soldering skills, you could buy a simple rack panel that is punched for 8 XLR jacks, and solder on "tails" with XLR for 1 thru 6, and TRS for 7&8(for your external preamps)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-22-2015, 03:39 PM

could I use SM Pro Audio EP 84 using the trs out to my ultra 8r in's so I have the xlr's on the front? I like this unit because it has 8 inserts as well as combo jacks, this way I can connect a mic or guitar or whatever. Plus the reviews are good.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
could I use SM Pro Audio EP 84 using the trs out to my ultra 8r in's so I have the xlr's on the front?
You most certainly could. Using a set of preamps with the XLR jacks in front is a good solution, because bringing mic pre inputs to patch on a TRS bay can pose problem if you forget to turn off phantom power before patching in or out.

In that case I would have the preamp outputs brought to patch, normaled to the Ultra 8R inputs. That way you don't have to use the unbalanced rear-panel inserts, you use the patchbay to insert processors - patch a cable to the preamp output to break normal, run to the processor, return the processor to the Ultra 8R inputs at the patchbay.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks, Do you know if my ilok for pt9mp will work with pt9? Im looking to buy a copy of protools 9 so I can use any interface.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:50 PM

No, I don't think a license for M-Powered will work with a different version. Check out the Buy&Sell section to find a used license.