How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2014, 04:58 AM

Default Windows configurations problem

Hi there clever folk.

I have just discovered the wonderful delights of Windows configurations on my ProTools 8LE.

The problem is, I can't get it to work across two monitors, with the mix window on the left, and the edit window on the right.

I have checked the manual (and across this forum) but nothing I do seems to work. The windows configurations will only ever save changes on my edit window, and not the mix window. And don't worry, I have tried ticking both boxes when creating a new configurations, making sure the bottom box says mix window of course.

I really want to utilise this brilliant facility, and I'm getting very frustrated with not being able to control it the way I would like.

I am running ProTools 8LE across on Mac 10.6 with two ViewSonic monitors.

Aaaaargh!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Re: Windows configurations problem

Not sure about Macs but for Windows, you need to drag the edges of the parent window to fill BOTH monitors. Then, you can drag MIX and EDIT windows to the desired screen and drag the edges out to fill each screen.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the reply. I think I have described my problem badly....

I have no problem with running two screens. It's the way that I've run my system from the beginning...

...my problem is with the specific "window configuration" capability, found in the WINDOW DROP DOWN MENU.

I set up a BASIC VIEW named BASIC, then I set up a WINDOW CONFIG which I call HEDMIX, and this changes to view of my SENDS in my main mix window to just show SEND E which is how I configure it. I also have the SENDS showing in my EDIT WINDOW, so that I can stand at my mic and adjust the send levels getting bussed to my headphone mix. Brilliant....

....but if I TRY to set up another CONFIG screen, for guitars, for example, I want the sends on both mix and edit window to revert to ASSIGNMENT VIEW, but with the added plug in on screen, like Amplitude. Well, I can do this, but when i try to go back to the HEDMIX CONFIGURATION, nothing changes....!!!!!

It's like my WINDOWS CONFIG have forgotten what I set up before, as a BASIC set up, and the HEDMIX configuration.

One of us is stupid......I think it might be me.......but I'm still not dismissing the PT8LE.......!!!!!!!!

Again, I'm on PT8LE, Mac 10.6

Old 02-26-2014, 07:46 AM

2.66 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
16GB RAM - 1066 MHz DDR3

Audio Hardware - Coreaudio Aggregate MOTU HD Express & 828mk3 Hybrid

ATI Radeon HD 4870:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120:

I use window configurations routinely, and it appears broken in 11.1.2 on my system.

I have 3 monitors, and typically use both my edit and mix window on the 2nd monitor (plug-ins, sends, etc. on the 1st monitor - video on the 3rd). No matter which way I save my window configurations now, when recalled, it places both the mix and edit window on the 1st monitor. I'm not sure if this helps, but the first monitor is the one that contains the Mac menu bar.

Every time I open sessions, the windows open to that 1st monitor, even though they were saved with the windows on the 2nd monitor.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM

Crumbs Farmer Dave, thanks for your reply.

I seem to have solved my windows configuration problem to a certain degree, and the only thing I can't get to save, is the actual view of my sends and assignments but that's not a major problem. The plug ins pop up just fine, and I found it to be an absolutely incredible time-saving shortcut.

Like you, it also seems that the only things that WILL save, only save on the screen containing my Mac menu. In my case that is my edit window.

Food for thought…!

Sadly pro tools 11 is slightly out of my range of expertise, but have you tried running it temporarily on two monitors and see what happens then?

Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygoboom View Post
Crumbs Farmer Dave, thanks for your reply.

but have you tried running it temporarily on two monitors and see what happens then?

Thanks again.
The same result on 2 monitors. The Edit & Mix windows pop to the 1st monitor.

If I save sizes and positions ON THE 1ST MONITOR ONLY, that saves and recalls correctly to the 1st monitor. Other monitors don't recall.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:12 AM

I am having the same problem with pro tool 12.4 on OS X Yosemite.
Anyone ever fine a solution to this very frustrating problem?
Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 PM

This topic has been discussed before - do a search of the forums. For me, if the second monitor's window is stretched to fill the entire screen, then when the session is reopened it gets moved to the first screen, usually behind the other window. The only way I can get it to stay where it should is to have it slightly shy of filling the whole screen. Sometimes you also have to hit the green fullscreen button and back a couple of times. And then sometimes even THAT doesn't work and I have to move the window to the correct screen, make it very small, save and reopen the session, then enlarge the window - but not all the way to the edges. Never had this problem on pc.

Very annoying that this is still an issue with PT12.6.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-18-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygoboom View Post
but when i try to go back to the HEDMIX CONFIGURATION, nothing changes....!!!!!
Just a shot in the dark, but have you selected "auto-update" in the window config menu ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM

I've just updated to 12.5 same problem. I set up a config with mix on one screen & edit the other & save them & then when I select them from windows config menu & both edit & mix windows just end up back on the Raven screen! Soooo FRUSTRATING !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk