Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-08-2020, 12:05 PM

Default AUX Sends making my signal louder at 0Db (Duh, 2 signals), How do I avoid this?

How do I change my busses so that they do not make my signal louder, as if the bus is there to process it yet not make it louder when I set the Send to 0db.
I only went it to send out the entire signal for a sidechain compression, and I thought there would be some kind of Dry/Wet option for the bus...I have seen this setting on other's personal setups (Maybe they automated a setting) however I do not know how I can make this. If Dry/Wet isn't what I'm explaining, then let me know a method. Currently, I have tried to send the aux send bus (11) out to another bus (13) , and muted the second, so that 11 can be processed while 13 is silent, making it less, however I dislike having cluttered busses like this...

Please let me know, I am suffering from an unknown source of clipping.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Re: AUX Sends making my signal louder at 0Db (Duh, 2 signals), How do I avoid this?

Okay...I've read this thru twice and still have no idea what you are trying to do here I'll start by guessing you have little experience with a real mixer and so, you don't have a clear understanding of what a bus is or does? It also sounds like you might be over-complicating things("I have tried to send the aux send bus (11) out to another bus (13) , and muted the second, so that 11 can be processed while 13 is silent")....again, this make no sense to me(and why I ask for an explanation on what it is you want to do). If this is about side-chaining, you don't need any AUX track, you only need a send to a virtual bus(which is what the buses are in any DAW).

In the hope that I'm not completely on the wrong path, here are a few more things to consider:
1-Sending a track(thru a bus) to an AUX track will(if the AUX track fader is at -0) essentially double the volume(because you added another source of the same audio to your mix). IOW, it seems to me that its doing what I would expect, based on your description.
2-to side-chain, you only need a send(from the source track) on any bus, which you then would select(in the plugin) as the side-chain source.
3-Since any send can be PRE-fade or POST-fade, its up to you to make that choice(depending on your needs)
4-An AUX track(or ANY track) doesn't NEED to route thru your main mix to still be useful(but read 5&6 for reasons to be careful)
5-A send that feeds "nothing"(like a bus that goes nowhere) can cause delay compensation confusion(example: you send to bus "x" intending on using that as a side-chain path, but you never set a plugin to USE that signal, or you removed the plugin, the "orphaned" bus can cause unexpected latency
6-sending an AUX track thru a bus to another AUX track can also cause delay compensation confusion.

Think of buses as pipes that allow you to feed some "water"(audio signal) to another destination(so you can treat(process) that separately from the original source(and audio or instrument track). If you feed that bus("pipe") with a send, the send acts like a faucet(crack it on a little to send a little signal down the pipe, crank it wide open to send a lot).

Hope something here hits the target

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2020, 01:55 PM

Default Re: AUX Sends making my signal louder at 0Db (Duh, 2 signals), How do I avoid this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Okay...I've read this thru twice and still have no idea what you are trying to do here I'll start by guessing you have little experience with a real mixer and so, you don't have a clear understanding of what a bus is or does?

In the hope that I'm not completely on the wrong path, here are a few more things to consider:
1-Sending a track(thru a bus) to an AUX track will(if the AUX track fader is at -0) essentially doubles the volume IOW, it seems to me that its doing what I would expect, based on your description.
2-to side-chain, you only need a send as the side-chain source.
3-any send can be PRE-fade or POST-fade, up to you to make that choice
4-An AUX track(or ANY track) doesn't NEED to route thru main mix
5-A send that feeds "nothing"(like a bus that goes nowhere) can cause delay compensation confusion; the "orphaned" bus can cause unexpected latency
6-sending an AUX track thru a bus to another AUX track can also cause delay compensation confusion.

Think of buses as pipes that allow you to feed some "water"(audio signal) to another destination(so you can treat(process) If you feed that bus("pipe") with a send, the send acts like a faucet(crack it on a little to send a little signal down the pipe, crank it wide open to send a lot).

I'm just really terrible at explaining stuff bc I've been mixing for like 7 months but have tried learning almost everything about mixing and audio engineering. I'm a big computer guy so audio engineering is like right there and I tried a lot of things but for some reasons I always kept busses simple but now I'm trying to side chain more different types of plugins and creating bussed delays...
You know the deal.

As for your advice, 1 is exactly what I was saying and I understood that. I sidechain like 2 as well...
On 3, that is probably just my lack of pro tools mastery...I don't know how to set the pre-post fader to PRE or POST. Is clicking the pre setting it to pre and if it isn't clicked, post?
5 Familiar with 5 as well, always accidentally dong that. 6. On that note, what is the best way to send a main vocal, to another bus, how would I then route THIS OUTPUT, from Main->Bus 1->->->three different sends of THIS SIGNAL to reverb/delay bus, and PRE-reverb blending (I do this trick to give a nice space in the mix, I'm sure you're familiar with its effects...

Your faucet analogy is also amazing, really helps me visualize it a whole lot better...that explains the "dry/wet" thing a little too :)

Last edited by ZacMenton; 01-10-2020 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to Add some Text
Old 01-16-2020, 11:42 PM

Personally i use side chain’ing mainly to let the kick control the low end of the bass and the bass control the lowend of any other instruments wich could interfere with the lowend of the kick and bass. Usually use a multiband compressor/eq plugin to only duck lowend.

I do this by inserting one bus send from the kick track, and another bus send from the bass track. I set both to pre fader and set the fader to 0db on each bus send.

If i want more creative ways to side chain i use the LfoTool plugin instead of dealing with all the routing and multiple plugins.

For lead vocals i send the main output of that track to a lead vocal effect bus wich i put delay, reverb, or whatever i want on. I let the plugins control the dry/wet signal instead of using multiple bus sends on the vocal track and dealing the dry/wet signal of them.

But thats just me. I like to keep it real simple but effective.