Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2002, 08:09 AM

Default PTFree, reFuse,Reason?

Anyone using this combo to stream audio from Reason into PTFree using reFuse?

www.refusesoftware.com
Old 08-07-2002, 09:06 PM

Default Re: PTFree, reFuse,Reason?

I don't use Refuse but a system called REwire. Here is how I do it
1. Open up PTF. You May have midi tracks or not if you do I'll address this later. PTF must be opened first.
2. Go to Midi on the menu and open up the midi beat clock.
3.Check the IAC bus and enable clock box
4.Open up Reason
5. Go to the Edit on the menu and into Preferences.
6.Next to Page scroll to Midi and set the port to the IAC Bus
7. Scroll on to Advanced Midi and set the bus A to IAC Bus as well as midi Remote Control and MIdi Clock Sync. All to IAC Bus
8. Close the window and look at the left hand side of the sequncer. There is a sync enable button hit the enable as well as the play and the midi button.
9.If you have anything in the Reason sequencer it will now be slaved to PTF. Press play and off you go. Make sure the metronome settings are correct.
10. If you want Reason to play midi info from PTF you need to go to the top of the rack in Reason and assign the Buss Select to IAC Bus and then assign each rack module to a midi channel in the Midi in Device

Here are a couple peculiarities. On my G3 Imac I can mix in Reason and the sound plays as I toggle from PTF to Reason. My G4 at work my Imac kills the sound as I toggle into Reason but resumes when I go back into PTF. What gives? I don't get it. It works better to record your midi tracks in Reason and then slave to PTF. There is a HUGE latency of constant drift when recoding Audio in PTF and then recording Midi in Reason. The other way around is no problem.
Today I had Reason, PTF and SampleTank all running on both G3 and G4. The G3 poops out on the bounce to disk after 3:42 with CPU. The CPU is at 85%. I'll just burn the midi into sound and record them onto an audio track. Reason No Midi Out's is just plain silly.Good Luck.
D
Old 08-13-2002, 12:52 AM

Yes, thanks, I've been doing all that for a while.

Rewire does not work with any ProTools product.

I was interested in reFuse to be able to stream audio into PTFree, so that the "bounce to disc" function in PTFree would work while Reason is running in sync. In order for you to include Reason tracks, the audio from Reason must be brought back into PTFree through Aux buss to be included in the bounce.

I downloaded the demo of reFuse and it does work to bridge Rewire and DirectConnect, but seems to be a real cpu-hog, and in fact stopped a couple of times.

Think I'm going to stick to rendering the Reason mix, and importing it into PTFree, until I can get a separate computer to run Reason.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:30 PM

I can get it to work on my G3 Imac bounced PTf and Reason sound are bouced as well exactly as I wrote it out but my G4 Imac is a different story. I import Reason as a sound file or run ir out of Reason asio synced by midi beat clock into my Midi Man Duo and back into pro tools as an audio track. I really don't get the G3 G4 difference. Each is running the sound as an internal built in sound.
D
Old 08-13-2002, 09:37 PM

(Let's try to correct the grammer and spelling)
Sorry!
I can get it to work on my G3 Imac bounced to disk in PTF and the Reason sounds are bounced as well exactly as I wrote it out but my G4 Imac is a different story. I import Reason as a sound file or run it out of Reason ASIO synced by midi beat clock into my Midi Man Duo and back into pro tools as an audio track. I really don't get the G3 G4 difference. Each is running the sound and playing it as an internal built in sound.
D
Old 08-14-2002, 10:39 PM

It is possible to record the Reason audio stream into PT Free.

You can rewire Reason to ProTools Free with Max/DSP. (only two channels at a time) but its cool!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:48 PM

What is Max/DSP? Is it a Reason thing or PTF?
D
Old 08-19-2002, 11:31 AM

Thanks, Jose....I had forgotten about Max, I'll try it. It's available from Cycling54 (?), but you have to get the "bridge" from Peff at peff.com.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:16 PM

Hi,
I use reason 2 with PTFree thru refuse and it works perfect on my G4 powermac.can stream 16 channels of audio from reason at a time but since PT Free doesnt support more than 8 tracks the maximum i can get is 8.I do get a little tight on memory (256 mb)when running all three applications,but its manageable.with 512 RAM it should rock. Refuse is an awesome application.try it is really worth it.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:25 AM

Though i havent used the G4 imac i think the problem with not being to run reason and protools free together could be a matter of getting the right setting in both applications. launch reason and go to edit-prefrences-audio and click "play in background".Quit reason launch ptfree and under the operations menu click on "active in background".Now launch both applications and you will be able to playback both reason and pt sounds.
I would still suggest refuse and you can get rid of all these little hassles.
cheers