Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2002, 05:33 PM

Default ACPI update re: reboot plague ARRRGH!

You may recall last week some of us discussed how to disable the ACPI and how it may relate to the spontaneous reboot problem, and after disabling ACPI in Windows, I promised I'd post how things were going...

Although quite a bit from being conclusive, the machine has gone an entire week without spontaneous reboot.

This is rather like proving a negative, but the report for the first 7 days is, so far, so good.

The average for S.R. for this machine is about twice a month... so I'll post back next Monday with update #2, one way or another.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:39 PM

Default Re: ACPI update re: reboot plague ARRRGH!

Stone,
I'll bet you were liking that big boom you were getting when your active monitors reacted to that shut down. LOL.
I'm lucky I have ACPI still active and haven't had a shut down like that in a long time.

Allen
Old 06-10-2002, 05:52 PM

No. When you get reboots your speakers don't make any sound, if you shutdown with them ON, then they'll blow your ears.
Old 06-10-2002, 07:40 PM

Well, in a spontaneous reboot they are on. The 001 is running hot thru the Mackie board into the 624's and sub.
They do go popTHUNK. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] A real laugh riot.
Old 06-10-2002, 09:32 PM

I just changed my ACPI drivers to plug and play (fail safe) tonight. I'll let you know if my almost daily spontaneous reboots improve.

The funny thing is, mine NEVER happen when I'm in ProTools.

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 06-11-2002, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRedButton:
I just changed my ACPI drivers to plug and play (fail safe) tonight. I'll let you know if my almost daily spontaneous reboots improve.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you know, i had reboot problems when my matrox g450 was installed. same thing as you: it would never reboot when PT was running, it was very random though when using other programs. replacing that buggy card did the trick. acpi was not installed when i was using the matrox.

i think PT has a problem with video. i wish i was a super geek so i could nail this problem, but i'm only a standard variety geek. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2002, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by BigRedButton:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">you know, i had reboot problems when my matrox g450 was installed. same thing as you: it would never reboot when PT was running, it was very random though when using other programs. replacing that buggy card did the trick. acpi was not installed when i was using the matrox.

i think PT has a problem with video. i wish i was a super geek so i could nail this problem, but i'm only a standard variety geek. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Brian,
The other thing I was thinking of when you wrote that was your Netgear card. I installed a Netgear card about two months ago and was bragging about how great it was and that was when my computer started doing the spontaneous shut down. I never had this problem before. I saw on Newegg that they posted an incompatibility with this card and the AMD761 chipset so I tried the D-Link card and no reboots so far after three weeks.
I agree with you on the video thing too. What card are you using now?
Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2002, 07:11 AM

Hi Stone Knife,

have you already considered this?

"Note that under Windows Me and 2000, and other versions of Windows using ACPI, Microsoft recommend that you set "PnP OS" to "No" in the BIOS."

If yes, just forget about it, if no, maybe it could be worth trying it.

Lalaman
Old 06-11-2002, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigRedButton:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I get these reboots alot myself, but like you, never when using PT. It only reboots when its sitting there not doing anything. I keep waiting for it to reboot when I have a client in the studio, but it never has when I'm using it...Maybe it's just trying to get my attention lol [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-11-2002, 10:35 AM

allen, its funny you mentioned that about the netgear. i'm still using the netgear card. i haven't had any problems with it. i do know about that conflict, though. i think it only applies to the + boards (ga-7dx+ & -7dxr+), i have the original dx7 (rev.3). its funny because i built a system for a friend of mine using a ga-7dxr+ and i bought that netgear card thinking that because i could make it work on my system, it must be a pilot error type issue. i was wrong about that of course and i did, in fact, replace it with a d-link. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

anyway, i'm still using the netgear card and getting no reboots since i dumped the matrox. by the way, the radeon 8500 is a super dopeafresh video card - just don't run hydravision in win98...