Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12.5 is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Its up to you to set your firewall rules to accept and deny applications. Anti-Virus, will always be an issue. Dont surf the internet on your daw and it eliminates the need for it.
And therein lies my issue. Even if you don't have a web browser open, if you are connected to the internet and you're not running a good firewall and good antivirus software you will get infected with something. And for the Cloud Collaboration stuff to work, you HAVE to be connected to the internet.

I did an instal last year, a fresh install with a newly formatted hard drive and between the time that I got the OS installed and the networking drivers installed and the time that the OS did it's updates and I installed the antivirus software, the system was infected with 3 different spyware bugs.

Would be nice if Avid has some recommendations on what firewall setting work and what antivirus software they have validated.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM

i can't believe it. Windows 10 still not supported.
It's almost one year for qualification...
Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewChrist87 View Post
Do you have a link? I don't have it in my products page. Is there a generic "here's the latest version, download it and see if your iLok lets you run it" link?
Account>Products>Annual Upgrade Plan for me. There was a link to manually download 12.5 dmg then install. Seemed to bypass the App Manager altogether.

And now to begin testing. Going to be weird to not have to massage the screen every 10 minutes when the GUI freezes... hopefully...

Oh and hopefully it will stop blowing out my eardrums everytime I stop/start playback on a loaded session.
Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.6
Lynx Thunderbolt Aurora(n) 24
Lynx Hilo
Burl B2 Bomber
Old 03-28-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I'm diving straight in. Looking at the bugs list I'm thinking, I've been doing that and PT crashed.

Trouble free installation here. Loaded up some tracks, no issues. It shutdowns really fast!

Roll on tomorrow and crash free day touch wood.
What OSX version? I had to use 10.9.5 until the GUI issue was fixed. Is it only a fix for 10.11?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Anyone out there and reading this who is running Windows and had big problems with 12.4 having better stability so far with 12.5?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbov View Post
i can't believe it. Windows 10 still not supported.
It's almost one year for qualification...
If you have a W-10 installation and are in a position where taking a risk and trying W-10 isn't going to cause loss of income or hair, you might want to try it. 12-4 runs like a scalded dog when it does work well. For me, it has been much more reliable than running on W-7.

I did turn off what I could here and there. W-10 has lots of automatic tracking crap that may or may not cause resource issues with PT of any version. I cannot wait to see Avid's optimization guide for that OS. Ought to be lengthy.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
What OSX version? I had to use 10.9.5 until the GUI issue was fixed. Is it only a fix for 10.11?
10.10.5. I see no point in upgrading to El Capitan. There are 210 licenses on my iLock and I really can't be bothered checking to see if all my plug-ins are compatible!

Not sure but I think the GUI fix is for El Capitan.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
And therein lies my issue. Even if you don't have a web browser open, if you are connected to the internet and you're not running a good firewall and good antivirus software you will get infected with something. And for the Cloud Collaboration stuff to work, you HAVE to be connected to the internet.

I did an instal last year, a fresh install with a newly formatted hard drive and between the time that I got the OS installed and the networking drivers installed and the time that the OS did it's updates and I installed the antivirus software, the system was infected with 3 different spyware bugs.

Would be nice if Avid has some recommendations on what firewall setting work and what antivirus software they have validated.
Firewall settings wont matter. It has to be accepted on port 80 which is all general internet traffic but you would just be accepting Avid, its not opening the port completely.
Spyware, That is probably from downloading infected software, an infected drive/flash drive, or from somewhere you visited looking for drivers and such. I build tons of computers and they are all online for the installation processes and have never had any issues. You are not going to get malware/spyware from just having your computer online. Its where you take it that causes the problems.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-28-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
10.10.5. I see no point in upgrading to El Capitan. There are 210 licenses on my iLock and I really can't be bothered checking to see if all my plug-ins are compatible!

Not sure but I think the GUI fix is for El Capitan.
You weren't seeing GUI lag with 10.10.5 and 12.4?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:57 PM

Just opened my 'sticky faders test' session on my 10.10.5 partition and it seems to be greatly improved with 12.5. 12.4 was unusable, made a 10.9.5 partition to deal.