Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Default Pro Tools cannot authorize iLok license

I've searched the threads and checked trouble-shooting. I've also done MANY web searches all to no avail. I've found individuals w/ slightly similar problems, but most involved plug-ins which shouldn't be the case here because I have only the plug-ins packaged with M-Powered 8. I tried to provide as many details as possible but if any more are needed please let me know... Here's the issue:

I have had Pro Tools M-Powered since last October and have never had any issues (current version is 8.0.3). However, last week when I attempted to load Pro Tools, I received the splash screen with the option to either "Authorize" or "Quit". I selected "Authorize" and received a notice which stated the following: "This version of Pro Tools M-Powered 8 requires authorization to run, but the authorization cannot be found in the installed iLok (serial number 0x000B3195). I am than given the option to "Use license card" to authorize the iLok by selecting the check box. However, after selecting the check box and "Next", Pro Tools freezes. I checked my iLok account to verify that the license was still present on the iLok key and it is. I then tried uninstalling Pro Tools, my M-Audio ProjectMix I/O driver, and the iLok driver and reinstalling (Pro Tools first, then ProjectMix drivers, and finally the iLok drivers). However, I am still having the same issue. Earlier today, I tried selecting "Use license card" and left for 5 hours. However, when I returned Pro Tools was still froze. I verified that I have all the latest drivers for Pro Tools, ProjectMix, and iLok. I also double checked to ensure the license was present on the iLok key and that the key's indicator light was on. I cannot imagine what the problem may be. I do not have any extra plug-ins, only the ones that came with the Pro Tools M-Powered 8 package. PLEASE HELP.

Here is some additional info:

Hardware: M-Audio ProjectMix (driver: 6.0.1_5.10.0.5058)
PC: Gateway GT5473E
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2GH
RAM: 4.00 GB
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Any help would be much appreciated! If any other info is required please let me know... Thanks!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools cannot authorize iLok license

You said you checked the ilok driver. Is the ilok web sight able to detect your stick? I would re install Ilok driver and client. And visit thew web sight after to verify detection. If its not being founf you may have conflicting versions of the driver still available on the same usb root hub. You can use windows system manager to remove "goast drivers" they are left behind after system crashes and device stop fails.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Yes, my iLok account does recognize my key and the license. I tried uninstalling the iLok driver and client software, rebooted, downloaded the latest driver and client software, installed both, and rebooted again. I then attempted to open Pro Tools and got the same results.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 PM

did you trash your prefs and the other quickins in the help me help you thread?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 PM

^ I'm not able to run the program your referring to because I have 64 bit software. The program says Pro Tools software cannot be found (probably because Pro Tools is filed in "Program Files (x86)" folder).
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM

sometimes ilok is weird. Pull it out (with the computer off) and plug it into a different usb port and follow the driver installation and what not (if it asks again) and see if that works. I've had to do that myself and it worked.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I'm not a tech, so not sure what to suggest next.
But definitely do not select the option to ""Use license card".

That will not work, and refers to an authorization method from several years ago when a smart card was used to authorize the iLok, not iLok.com.
See the bottom of this page for a description and pictures of that method:

iLok Authorization and iLok.com Information
Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM

Thanks. Well then that means I have a serious problem because my only other option is the "Challenge/Response" method. And as far as I know, Pro Tools does not utilize that method, only iLok does. So I'm really confused now... This doesn't make any sense. I had ZERO problems with this software until last week. If I cannot choose the "License Card", and the "Challenge/Response" does not apply to Pro Tools, what can I do? There's no other option...

I submitted this problem to Digi and they told me to update my iLok drivers. Of course, I informed them in the initial description that I already did that....THREE TIMES, so I guess they don't even read the actual messages, they just send out those generic "catch all" responses.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgwynn View Post
Thanks. Well then that means I have a serious problem because my only other option is the "Challenge/Response" method. And as far as I know, Pro Tools does not utilize that method, only iLok does. So I'm really confused now... This doesn't make any sense. I had ZERO problems with this software until last week. If I cannot choose the "License Card", and the "Challenge/Response" does not apply to Pro Tools, what can I do? There's no other option...

I submitted this problem to Digi and they told me to update my iLok drivers. Of course, I informed them in the initial description that I already did that....THREE TIMES, so I guess they don't even read the actual messages, they just send out those generic "catch all" responses.
The reason this is doing this is because Pro Tools isn't recognizing your ilok. Therefor, authorizing or whatever else will not make a difference. If the drivers are up to date then i suggest trying my above work around and plugging it into a different usb port, reinstall ilok drivers and try again.
Another thing could be a certain plug-in thats causing it but you stated that you only have the stock plugs so i wouldn't think that would be the problem.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM

^ Thanks. I tried placing the iLok in a different USB hub but am still getting the same results. I think Pro Tools does see the iLok because it actually mentions the serial number in the error. It seems to me that it is not seeing the license on the actual key, even though my online iLok account does see the license.

Also, I did try removing all plug-ins just to see it that would work, but still same error.