Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Pro Tools and Garageband

Can Garageband be a client for Pro Tools using ReWire?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Garageband

I kind of have the same question... I know that GarageBand can't ReWire into Pro Tools but is there a way to import my GarageBand tracks into Pro Tools?
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM

I just started playing with garage band. Now I have the same question. Is there any way short of encoding an mp3 to move tracks from garage band to pro tools?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

don't use MP3's

pro tools adds a seemingly random number of samples to the front of an MP3 files when importing and converting to the current session format

this can actually put the MP3 out of sync with the grid (if you're using other tracks in grid mode)

and would put you out of sync again when reimporting back into GB (if that's your intention)

use aif or wav format

but yes, this is possible

and no, you cannot as of now rewire garageband into PT

hope this helps
PT Ultimate
Old 12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Avid

Quote:
pro tools adds a seemingly random number of samples to the front of an MP3 files when importing and converting to the current session format
Just for reference - this is a symptom of the codec, not Pro Tools. Different codecs add different amounts of blank space and, as far as I've seen, every codec has this 'problem'.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:33 PM

I have done extensive testing on this subject when I first ran into it at least 3 years ago

and there seriously seems to be no exact logic to it

an MP3 bounced out of multiple composer programs, be it Digital Performer/Logic/Sonar, etc would all have different amounts of header samples added to the front when importing to Pro Tools. We thought we could figure out exactly how many samples came from an MP3 spat out of one of these specific programs.....

but whenever we thought we knew the amount, it would change

and get this, sometimes an MP3 exported at the exact same settings out of another program would NOT have any problematic added samples when imported to PT

absolutely one of the most mind bolling things I have ever tried to troubleshoot in pro tools.

it has forced me to demand aif or wav files, even if they are just being used for reference, so that I can place them into PT and have them just plain old line up and work the first time around

and in terms of this being a codec issue and not a PT issue, why is it that in our testing, a program like Sonar would NOT add these header samples when importing an MP3 whereas PT would? (though I admit, most testing was in PT since that's where the MP3's sent over the internet were headed for us....PT sessions)

It truly seemed like PT's importing of MP3's was the culprit......and I kid you not that this was very in-depth and time consuming testing.

Even this past summer when working on a film with a composer using Digital Performer, I saw the same exact thing happen on the MP3's he'd give me and me using PT 7.3.1

If you guys at Digi really have some concrete answers for this and how it can be avoided, I would LOVE to hear them!
PT Ultimate