How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krabbencutter View Post
I guess so. But it was a bit hard to hear through the laughter coming from the Steinberg, Logic and Ableton communities.

We wanted AI and they gave us folder tracks....
Old 01-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Looks great to me! ARA support would be my next wish.
Oh - 1-click to expand/collapse all automation on all tracks (or now - per folder!). Dare to dream!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
1-click to expand/collapse all automation on all tracks (or now - per folder!). Dare to dream!
You can already do that. Option+click the little lower sideways triangle on any track for all tracks. Or Option+shift+click the same for selected tracks.

If you see the NAMM demo, selecting the folder selects all the tracks inside. So the second way above would do what you want.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:44 PM

OMG it’s happened, wow I have to eat my words for sure

Bravo Avid it’s great that’s it’s here but it took too long
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
I guess so. But it was a bit hard to hear through the laughter coming from the Steinberg, Logic and Ableton communities.

We wanted AI and they gave us folder tracks....

What is this "We " Lindbergh ?
Ya that darn AVID went and responded to the exponentially most requested feature rather than a much less requested one

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-17-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
OMG it’s happened, wow I have to eat my words for sure
We all do every now and then
Old 01-17-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
We all do every now and then
And why I try to keep my words to small bite sized chunks and limit the mul ti sa lab ic

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 01-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
I seem to recall that the tech demo of the MacPro was running ProTools Ultimate, many months before Catalina was stable, and months before Avid had Catalina compatibility. Protools couldn't even be installed on a Catalina machine when that demo took place. That would imply that Apple specifically coded a version of Mojave for the MacPro, or the drivers could be added to Mojave.

Or, it works just fine installing Mojave. I don't have one, so I can't try...

Tech companies have seemingly determined that the rolling update is the best model to keep people hooked. Consider the way Facebook runs its updates as a model. It's a scary world were bugs are made obsolete rather than being solved.

Catalina is a disgusting strong-arm move by Apple to force companies into their way of operating. Apple obsoleted the codecs: it is up to third part vendors to find backward compatibility for what was part of the system 6 months ago. Apple could relax the security/notarisation issue for this whole release cycle so developers could focus on just getting 100% 64bit compliant, but notarisation, copy protection schemes etc. all require reworking to be compliant, all while dealing with new ways to access the system. Avid's products simply cover too much ground, even if you as an individual use only the 20% of the software that is relevant to your workflow.

The next OS is promising to be worse, with Apple changing the way system level drivers and kexts work from what I understand. Anyone manufacturing hardware and software will have a terrible year for compliance. Drivers that work for Mojave might require some level of 32 bit coding, while requiring 64 bit only for Catalina and beyond, while accessing different resources. Effectively there will be two versions of macOS for developers to code for once that happens.

Comparing PT and Logic in this scenario is relatively pointless. Apple don't have to make any hardware drivers work for Logic, as they rely on the third party hardware developers to do that piece of homework.

Apple are the evil party in this whole Catalina mess, not Avid. Avid and ALL developers are being forced to respond. Avid are trying to find ways to secure as much backward compatibility as they can to keep their user base's previously created assets usable. That is why 2019.12 only mentions partial compatibility.

I am completely happy to blame Avid for other things, but I find it distasteful to blame Avid for the mess Apple created in this case.

Anyway, just thoughts to add to the pile. I'm personally glad I'm no one's tech support.
So then why doesn't AVID just take the computer out of the equation, ala RADAR? Why are they letting Apple screw with them every year? Develop a stand alone rack mounted processor that just run Pro Tools. Many of us would gladly give up computer based recording. All we need is for a company like AVID to develop a system that takes the computer out of the loop. Problem solved. Considering all the resources they have to put into OS compatibility every year, why not develop their own proprietary computing ecosystem? Can't be anymore expensive then what they are charging for MTRX. Maybe they can make it similar to the cost of a reasonably priced computer. Most of us use our powerful computers to run audio software and plugins anyway. I'd love to not have to upgrade my computer every few years.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-kalman
Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Well, I laughed at them when they had to use Pro Tools cards and I/O in order to have audio in their sequencers.... but most of the ones laughing are probably too young to have experienced that.
Old 01-17-2020, 01:49 PM

Well I thought of that too, design your own off the shelf thing with Linux and just stabalize the thing perfectly. But do you cut your own throat by doing that, a la NEVE and the Audiofile or Fairlight. Theyre so tied into the Mac thing with madia composer etc etc, and all these pulgins and addons that people rely on, they'd have to re invent the entire wheel....they should do it concurrently, with testing until its perfect/solid, then go thier own way. Its really the only way to control these OS update insanity EVERY YEAR......why contunue that way....i dunno.....all this mac/windows bla bla just make a UNIX build with a computer box/audio combo and let er rip......BUT, its gotta work better, and not need the constant OS repair foolery...