Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-18-2009, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnT View Post
I just installed Pro Tools LE 8.0.1 on Windows 7 Enterprise and it installed quick and easy even with IE8. No problems. I like it.

I think I'll switch from XP entirely. I like this new setup.

Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit; Pro Tools 8.0.1; MBox 2 Pro
That sounds good I shall have to wait until the retail release here in the UK but it is sounding like the wait will be worth it. Hope I can get my Command|8to run under Win 7

Adele

(Shadow Lady)

"Fear is that little room where negatives are developed" - Michael Pritchard

PT LE 8
Command|8
M-Box 2
M-Audio Axiom 25
Old 09-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Hey all

So I feel I should share and seek help/advice/solutions for my issues.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate build 7600 via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4 Gig ram. I then installed Pro Tools M-mpowered 8.0 and also the 8.01 update. I then installed the Profire Windows 7 Beta Driver. I also deactivated Internet Explorer 8.

Everything installed fine, Pro Tools loaded up fine. I did a test and imported an audio file (a song) into Pro Tools. During playback the only thing I've noticed so far is some audio glitches (pops, clicks, noise) occur as well as complete drop outs meaning as the song is playing it will completely drop out for some seconds and then come back again.

This also occurs when I load up Amplitube in standalone mode. Would this point to an issue with the beta driver, the profire, the firewire chipset?

It also seems that I am using the Legacy 1394 firewire driver.

Any help on solving this issue would be much appreciated. Or is it even solvable at this point?

Thanks a lot.

PS: I should also mention that I am using the 64 bit version of windows 7. I'm also connecting the Profire 610 with a firewire 400 to 800 cable as the Profire 610 is firewire 400 and I only have firewire 800 on my Macbook Pro.

Everything seems to be running smoothly on the Mac side of things. These problems only seem to occur in Windows 7.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Well i guess we are 30 days away from the release of Windows 7, better start savin' up your pennies.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Pro Tools 8 seems to run fine as a 32-bit app running under Windows 7 64-bit.

I am running Win 7 64 just fine.

I recall previously trying this without much success, but I forgot to take notes down - I was able to get iLok 64-bit drivers, and 64-bit drivers for my new 1010LT. This seems to make things work lovely, even when ReWiring to Reason (both running as 32-bit apps).

PT8 will run fine in Win7 64 bit... the question is if you can get your qualified/required hardware to run in a 64-bit Windows. That question is probably a case-by-case basis, though it would seem more drivers are coming out as time passes.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Since Pro Tools seems to load up and run fine other than the sound drop outs and glitches and the same issues occur while running Amplitube standalone or simply playing a song through itunes, windows media player etc... this seems to point to an issue with my hardware. Am I correct to assume that?

Since everything seems to run completely fine under the mac OS I'm going to assume it's the Profire 610 M-audio driver and not the firewire chipset, the cable, Pro Tools etc...

If anyone else has the same issues using Win 7/Profire 610/M-audio Profire series BETA driver on a macbook pro using Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp please let me know. Also has anyone been able to successfully get this configuration up and running without any issues?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM

why you would waste your time installing and d*cking around with Windows when you have a mac makes no sense to me.

beta 64 bit operating system
Beta hardware drivers
A version of pro tools that is not written for either.

sounds like fun!
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM

I'd like to be able to have the option of switching back and forth if need be. That's beside the point. I'm posting to get some input on my issues with Windows 7 in hopes that I can solve them or at least provide input to help solve them for myself and others (if they are even solvable at this point).

Just pretend I don't have a mac
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 AM

there are some guys around here already working with win7, including myself. But I haven't seen anyone with something else than an USB digi hardware device getting their system to work properly on Win7 64 bit...
Win7 32 bit works fine though on my system.

If you really want to the first to know: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253717 :)

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"
Old 09-23-2009, 04:28 PM

Since this thread is 45 pages long, I haven't followed up entirely...

But I know that, so far, sometimes using Vista 64-bit drivers works great and dandy. If the Win7 drivers don't work out, Vista drivers, or even XP drivers, seem to sometimes manage OK.

Just, user beware... my short stint with Linux way back when taught me that bad drivers can screw aroudn with hardware in not-so-nice ways.

My 1010LT is running great off of Vista 64-bit drivers, inside Win7.

Again, use at your own risk.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvees View Post
there are some guys around here already working with win7, including myself. But I haven't seen anyone with something else than an USB digi hardware device getting their system to work properly on Win7 64 bit...
Win7 32 bit works fine though on my system.

If you really want to the first to know: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253717 :)

Are you using Win7 32 bit with a firewire device? I was considering installing the 32 bit version of Windows 7 to give that a test. What are the main advantages with using a 64 bit system with Pro Tools? I only have 4 gigs of RAM which is the max a 32 bit OS can use (correct?).

I'm faced with the decision of either leaving the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on my system and waiting until everything is compatible (assuming that a 64 bit system will have major advantages over a 32 bit system once everything is compatible) or erasing Win7 and reinstalling the 32 bit version in hopes that it will run ok so I can start using it ASAP.

Also, I've tried using Win7/Pro Tools 8/Profire 610 with the Vista 64 bit m-audio drivers and got the same results. The BETA version of the Win7 M-audio Profire driver is supposed to be 64 bit compatible.