Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-23-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Catalina + MacPro 7,1 + Dante Virtual Sound Card

Is anyone successfully using the combination of Catalina + MacPro 7,1 + Dante Virtual Sound Card?

DVS says it's updated for Catalina, but I'm not getting system sound through DVS into my MTRX. I put DVS on a PC on the same network, and that works. And DVS ran fine on my 5,1 with 10.12.6. So the two new factors are Catalina and the 7,1 MacPro.

Anyone have a similar combination working?

Also odd is the DVS control panel says the network connection is 100mbps. But it's 10Gb. The PC correctly shows the network as 10Gb.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
www.ToolshedAudioPost.com
www.TheToolshedStudio.com
Certified for Dolby Atmos Home Entertainment
Old 05-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Catalina + MacPro 7,1 + Dante Virtual Sound Card

Just got confirmation from Audinate that Dante Virtual Sound Card isn’t working with the 10Gbps ports on the new 2020 MacPro, yet. It works with Catalina, but only 1Gbps ports, so I just ordered a thunderbolt network adapter.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 09-13-2020, 11:36 AM

Have you heard any more on this issue? A while back, I put a thunderbolt network adapter to get things working after realizing what the issue was. But I'm wondering if they've fixed this by now.
Old 09-13-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Have you heard any more on this issue? A while back, I put a thunderbolt network adapter to get things working after realizing what the issue was. But I'm wondering if they've fixed this by now.
I tried to get it up and running yesterday before using a TB to network adapter but still no joy.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 AM

All they told me was that 10GB ports work on Windows, but not on Mac. Yet. No other details or explanation.

Using the adapter isn’t a big deal. The only hassle is that DVS doesn’t always remember to be turned on after a cold boot. About 40% of the time, I have to choose the port and then it on.
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 09-30-2020, 10:02 AM

Has anyone had success with DVS and DADman on a Mac with Catalina and separate Thunderbolt connection yet? I keep looking for resolution on seeing having it come into DADman for playback sources (iTunes, SoundCloud, YouTube, etc). It seems to have issues getting clocking reference which I haven't resolved.
DADman and MTRX St Sync source set to Word Clock (whole production house is clocked to a centralized house source). The only time I get audio is when the Enable Sync to External tik box is unchecked and for a brief moment it comes in but goes away once it reverts back.
DADman/MTRX is on one network port from a Dante switch with it's IP, the Mac is connected to the same switch on one of it's two Ethernet connections with it's assigned IP (the other is used for the S6) and DVS is directed to the Thunderbolt port with it's own IP. (tried both the two internal ports and a Thunderbolt to RJ-45 adaptor). All on the same subnet as the rest.
When viewing the device (Mac Pro via DVS) in Dante Controller, I see no device details in Device View or on the Device Info tab.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:54 PM

As I mentioned in the post before you, I am having success with this. The key is having DVS run on an external 1GB network port via thunderbolt port.

Actually, your described setup sounds like mine. Maybe post more details and I can compare it to mine and see how it differs.

A few thoughts...

1. Are you manually assigning IP addresses or letting them be auto assigned by DHCP?

2. What is the house clock and how is that routed to this system?
AJA Kona LHi, Sync HD
Old 10-12-2020, 12:34 PM

Greetings @lucienpalmer,

I had posted the same question on a different thread but my subsequent reply to that post hasn't gone through.
The one issue that was discovered while troubleshooting after making my post was due to a missed port assignment to our equipment room.
Bottom line; using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter on the new Mac Pro did make it possible to get DVS communicating on our Dante network and allowing for us to have internal apps audio to feed into our MTRX Studio monitoring through DADman.
Still unsure if the issue is with Catalina or the Ethernet ports on the new Mac Pro being 10Gbps.

To answer your questions; we are manually assigning IP addresses for our Dante network (private network currently with 35+ devices connected) and a separate network for our 10Gb connection (fiber card) to NEXIS server (audio post server) and another 10Gb connection (fiber card) to our house production stack.

Below is the typical equipment list for reference.
Thanks for your original post. It helped!

Doug

System Details:
Hardware:
Mac Pro 2019, 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon Processor, 128 GB 2933 MHz RAM with AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB Graphics. ATTO FastFrame NS12 Dual 10GB Fiber Card and HDX (1) card.

Avid MTRX Studio, Avid S6-40 w/3 fader, 4x Knob, 3x Process & 3x Display Modules, Genelec 5.1 Monitoring System w/8040, 8020 & 7040

Software:
macOS Catalina 10.15.6, Pro Tools 2020_05, DADman, Audinate Dante Controller & DVS
Plug-ins:
Avid Complete Bundle
Waves V11 w/Diamond, 360º Surround Tools, Studio Classics & Vocal Rider.
iZotope RX 7 and Ozone 8
Antares Auto-Tune Evo
and more
Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM

I still haven’t seen my previous posts go through so I answer here to say, this issue was resolved with a Thunderbolt to 1Gbe Ethernet adaptor.
Thanks all!

System Details - Multiple Audio Suites with the following similar setup:

Hardware:
Mac Pro 2019, 3.2 GHz 16-Core Intel Xeon Processor, 128 GB 2933 MHz RAM with AMD Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB Graphics. ATTO FastFrame NS12 Dual 10GB Fiber Card and HDX (1) card.

Avid MTRX Studio, Avid S6-40 w/3 fader, 4x Knob, 3x Process & 3x Display Modules, Genelec 5.1 Monitoring System w/8040, 8020 & 7040

Software:
macOS Catalina 10.15.6, Pro Tools 2020_05, DADman, Audinate Dante Controller & DVS
Plug-ins:
Avid Complete Bundle
Waves V11 w/Diamond, 360º Surround Tools, Studio Classics & Vocal Rider.
iZotope RX 7 and Ozone 8
Antares Auto-Tune Evo
and more