Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Question Pro Tools 8.0.1 adding space on file exports and bounces?

Hi all,

I am trying to export a specific region length of some songs I composed for a video game. It is imperative that these loop perfectly. I noticed that when bouncing, I have some extra space at the head and tail in the final final that I have bounced from my session.

To fix the problem, I thought an export might eliminate the extra 100 - 200ms of silence the bounce was adding, so I imported the bounces into a new session, cut the length, and exported my masters. Unfortunately, the export added space as well. Has anyone come up for a workaround for this?

This causes a lot of complications with sync when composing for video, as frame 1 no longer = frame 1 in the audio file.

Thanks in advance for reading!!

Mark Abrams

tel: 419.610.8107
email: [email protected]
url: www.markabramsaudio.com
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Avid

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.1 adding space on file exports and bounces?

What format are you bouncing to?

If you import the file back into Pro Tools, does it show the exact same length file as the original bounce area?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 PM

I do not know whats the reason but maybe you should consider to record your master to a new track.
This ist the only way with absolutely no problems.
And you can punch into your masters.

Ale
Old 02-04-2010, 09:48 AM

Has anyone come up with a reason why this is happening and a fix? We are having the same problem.

Two Macs, one Dual 2GhzPPC, one Intel iMac , both running 8.0.3 and regular Leopard.

Quote:
"If you import the file back into Pro Tools, does it show the exact same length file as the original bounce area?"
No, there is space at the head. Exporting to WAV. Tried 24/48 and 16/44 AIFFS too, same deal.

So if I bounce a loop (that loops perfectly in loop-play in PT) down to a WAV, then import it into a new PT session, there's .058 seconds of space at the head of the file. Even trimming that space to the exact start of the waveform does not result in a loopable file. So importing, trimming and Exporting Region to File will not work.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 PM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools 8.0.1 adding space on file exports and bounces?

hello there, i do have the exact same problem:

i need to bounce perfect loops created in protools. the result is always around 23 milliseconds "silence" in the beginning of the file. but it is like shifting the audio for that milliseconds, so some is cut in the end. this is why simply cutting the beginning in an other program doesnt create the loop (and this cant be the solution for that anyways).

before you reply with the usual, i tried out anything i know and what i could google:

- i bounced different files (wav, aiff)
- i deleted effects to avoid delays on that side. i even tried out different combinations of the effects.
- i bounced in resolutions of 24 bit and 16 bit (all with the standart cd 44.1 khz)
- i tried track recording instead of bouncing
- i set the "pre-roll" to 0 and deactivated it
- i tried mono and stereo

any of these try outs result in the same litte silence in beginning of the render.

i must do something wrong ! dont i ?
i cant understand and dont want to believe that the whole world of pro tools didnt recognize this problem or simply ignores it.

please, please help ! anyone : )
thank you

here is what i want to do:
- i have a beat created out of 8 different instruments. i need every instrument in a seperate loop. some 2 bars some 1 bar. the track s 103 bpm
- i select the 1 or 2 bars and bounce the region
- recordings are done in 24 bit standart 44.1 khz
- protools LE (mbox 2) version 8.0.1
- win xp computer pretty fast with decent ram (around 8 months old)
- the system is for sound processing only and is working fine with no other problems crashes whatso ever...

ps: my work around for now will be: bouncing out 6 bars (or 3 bars) so the middle will be the full, perfect loop. cutting this in audacity freeware. but i dont like that at all, there must be a correct way out of protools...

>>> this thread here inspired my of a work around i describe there as well, maybe this helps... : http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...74#post1556074

Last edited by ebk; 02-17-2010 at 03:11 AM. Reason: i found a work around
Old 04-06-2010, 12:06 PM

I decided to post an update in EBK's thread too: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?p=1556074

As we know, one of the issues is: when importing a bounced track back into a PT session, there is added space at the head, and even removing that dead space does not create a loop that works properly.

I tried bringing in a bounced track (with dead space) into the original session, chopping off the dead space and playing it along with my original tracks. It matched up perfectly until the very end. That led me to believe some audio information was getting cut off at the end due to the added space at the head, so I tried this:

1. I bounced my track as usual, with all plug-ins (Xpand2, Maxim, Ozone3, among others). However - instead of just bouncing the 64 bars, I added 1 bar at the end, so my bounce would be a total of 65 bars (of course if I tried to play that bounce as a loop, it wouldn't work).

2. I imported my bounce back into a PT session (in this case, the same one, b/c I was just testing it out), removed the dead space at the beginning, moved the file to the start of the session (Measure 1/1), then went to the end of the 64th bar (the start of Measure 65/1) and cropped the end. Now I have a loop that is exactly 64 bars.

3. Played it back and it sounded perfect. So I then highlighted that edited loop, went to the Region bin and Exported Region as File.

4. To double-check, I imported that Exported Region/File back into the session and lo and behold, I've got a piece of music that loops perfectly.

My one caveat about this is that the file I'm trying this out with purposely sounds kind of old and crappy (it's a saloon piano), so I'm anxious to try it out with something different.

Thanks to EBK and everyone else for all your help. This has been awesome!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 AM

Hi!
I got it fixed by changing the compensation engine mode.

see here for details.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=25