Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2015, 04:28 AM

Default Re: BUG 11.2.2: black wink when using pre-roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Update:

black-wink bug still happening in 11.3.2 also in 12.x.
Same here. As well as other anomalies with 2 years old AVE.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 09-07-2015, 09:57 AM

Its hard to tell where the priorities are. We all want bug fixes and general workflow improvements. And they have to now provide 11.x and 12.x versions, although it seems like a waste to patch 11. The main problem areas don't seem to get improvement in either case.

But there are apparently a lot of users clamoring for new features, some of which were promised and not delivered. Which Avid seems unable to provide so they unlock features for Vanilla.

Presumably they are hard at work both fixing bugs and implementing new features and these recent releases are pushed out to throw the rabble a bone. The "real" release will come later? I don't know, just brainstorming about Avid's approach here. I'd like to think something is happening but every release, be it PT or S6 or PT Control seems unfinished and half-baked.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:57 PM

I often ask my self a rhetoric question: "Maybe a new AVE just a PITA for Avid and a wrong move as there is no way it could be fixed as it is?"
If you were Avid what would you say to your customers after 2 years of attempts to fix unfixable?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 09-07-2015, 01:41 PM

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=371663

Progress really?
Old 09-08-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Its hard to tell where the priorities are. We all want bug fixes and general workflow improvements. And they have to now provide 11.x and 12.x versions, although it seems like a waste to patch 11. The main problem areas don't seem to get improvement in either case.

But there are apparently a lot of users clamoring for new features, some of which were promised and not delivered. Which Avid seems unable to provide so they unlock features for Vanilla.

Presumably they are hard at work both fixing bugs and implementing new features and these recent releases are pushed out to throw the rabble a bone. The "real" release will come later? I don't know, just brainstorming about Avid's approach here. I'd like to think something is happening but every release, be it PT or S6 or PT Control seems unfinished and half-baked.
I 'm not even talking about workflow improvements. This is about fixing things that have worked for years, then break from one release to the next and then just stay that way for months or even years (hope not in this case).

This bug was introduced when 11.2.2 came out and has been reported and reproduced frequently since then.
It was fine before and should be fixed, IMO. It breaks entire work-flows. Obviously not for everyone but for some.

Fixing it will obviously not sell a single additional S6 or other hardware and therefor might be low on their list but I think if bugs are as clearly identified, reported, reproducible and obvious on pretty much every PT rig out there it should not be put at the very end of the cue.

The bizarre roll-out of 11.3.2 for PT12 owners only isn't really clever either.

Frank.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I 'm not even talking about workflow improvements. This is about fixing things that have worked for years, then break from one release to the next and then just stay that way for months or even years (hope not in this case).
I agree completely. I'm trying to be diplomatic because I'd like to think Avid has a plan.

But these stupid longstanding bugs that broke existing behavior are getting old. They've had 4 versions and probably 10 years now to actually complete the "Field Recorder Workflow". Yet its still fussy and half-baked.

By the way, anyone using VCA's with Vanilla? Avid gave you access to them but does not want you to actually use them. If you save and later try to re-open a session with VCA's you're greeted with a prompt telling you your version of PT does not support VCA's. That I believe is proof that this feature unlocking was a rush job to placate the masses.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 AM

I've just re-installed a fresh system and tried BM driver 10.5.4 and was quite surprised to see that the black wink issue seems to have disappeared on my system.

Strange because AJA users reported the same issue and it showed on system without any video cards installed.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-03-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:28 AM

I only see the black wink if I've a video offset configured. Both with BM Intensity Pro and AJA Kona LHi (PT 12.4 Windows 10 - unsupported & unqualified I know ;-)
Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-user View Post
I only see the black wink if I've a video offset configured. Both with BM Intensity Pro and AJA Kona LHi (PT 12.4 Windows 10 - unsupported & unqualified I know ;-)
Ah, what a bummer. You're right. I hadn't put in my offset after the install yet.
Didn't know that was a criteria to reproduce the bug.
So it winks only when you have pre-roll, loop-playback and sync-offet on. Learned something new there.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-03-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:46 PM

Sorry to rain on your parade. Also I see the black wink in the desktop video window as well as the hardware video output. This mis-featurette has been around a while now. It's very easy to repro.