Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Default Blocking the "P" and "F" sounds in vocal tracks.

I can't find the plug in, but I KNOW I had it before, it helped the "f" and the "p" sounds from being so powerful or help block them in the vocal tracks. Does anyone know what plug-in I'm talking about plz let me know! its driving me crazy!
Old 03-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Blocking the "P" and "F" sounds in vocal tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice0-5 View Post
I can't find the plug in, but I KNOW I had it before, it helped the "f" and the "p" sounds from being so powerful or help block them in the vocal tracks. Does anyone know what plug-in I'm talking about plz let me know! its driving me crazy!
A de-esser and a pop filter might get you on your way?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:48 PM

de-esser ! haha thankyou!
Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 PM

You might also try backing the singer off the mic a bit more and/or double up the windscreen(popper stopper) or even angle the mic slightly so the singer is singing by the mic instead of straight at it. Sometimes the De-esser kills too much so I end up using AudioSuite EQ and treat the region directly. If you highlight the "P" sound and hit preview on the EQ plugin, you can take an EQ bad and set it very narrow and boost to +9 and sweep it around. When you find the frequency that jumps out much louder, cut that frequency and hit process.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-16-2011, 02:23 PM

An old engineer's trick (and fyi I am an OLD engineer) is to clamp a pencil about 4 - 6inches in front of the mic. The pencil takes the 'p' sounds and 's
' sound and dissipates it (what you hear of course is the wind hitting the capsule). Also, this will not change the sound, like a windscreen might.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:32 PM

If you've already tracked the vocals here's a trick for you. Duplicate the vocal track, invert the phase of it, trim it so that this track has just the offending sounds (the p's, f's, etc.) then mix it (lightly) with the original. The flipped phased of the duplicated track will lower the volume of the offending sounds.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM

And when all else fails, you can always go in and manually draw the offending sound down a few dB in volume automation.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11