Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2009, 01:25 PM

Default Weird problem with pro tools & Radium keyboard. NEED HELP!

Hey all

I'm desperate for help with this situation. This is a little hard to explain but it's been happening for awhile now with a few different versions of pro tools.

When I plug in my M-audio Radium Midiman 61 keyboard with either a M-audio Midisport Uno (the usb port on the back of the keyboard is not working so this was another option) or straight from the midi out to my ProjectMix via a midi cable for some reason when I load up various virtual instruments to use with the keyboard it detunes or changes the pitch in the virtual instrument randomly by itself. I suspect this has something to do with my keyboard because when I unplug the midi connection from either my projectmix or from my usb port on my computer the problem stops. This is affecting my sessions with myself and with others as I have to manually draw in anything and cannot use my keyboard as it continues to randomly drop the tune and/or pitch of notes by itself. Has anyone experienced this before?

I have installed the Midisport Uno drivers as well as the drivers for the Radium 61. My specific keyboard isn't advertised on the M-audio website anymore. I'm not entirely sure if they even make them anymore but I believe the drivers are still compatible.

Can anyone please lend some suggestions or help with this matter? It's been ongoing for months and months now and I can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks a lot

Pro Tools M-powered 8 (latest CS update)
M-Audio ProjectMix
OS X 10.5.6
Powermac G5 2.5 GHZ
2 Gigs of ram
Old 04-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Avid

Default Re: Weird problem with pro tools & Radium keyboard. NEED HELP!

It's not absolutely clear from your post, but do you possibly have both the MIDI to the Uno and the ProjectMix connected to the keyboard at the same time?

If so - that's likely the problem. You should only have one connection at any given time.

If that's not the case, can you give us a more specific description of how you have it connected and the symptoms? Do you have the proper input selected on the track? Are you using an Instrument track or a combination MIDI and Aux Input?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks for your quick reply.

I only have one connection at any given time. For instance the problem is there when I go from the midi OUT on the keyboard via the Midisport Uno into my USB port on my computer and it is also there when I use a midi cable and go from the midi OUT from the keyboard into the midi IN on my projectmix. I never have both connected at the same time.

I believe I have the proper input selected on the track. I use an instrument track and a midi track and route the midi track to the instrument track. I've also tried just using an instrument track without a midi track. Again, when I disconnect my keyboard from the computer or the projectmix the problem goes away. It seems like it has something to do with the keyboard interacting with Protools.

The symptoms are exactly what I described. It's hard to describe fully but like I said, it randomly detunes the virtual instrument. For instance if I load up a synth or patch in Xpand, I could be playing the keyboard, everything is going fine but then without me touching anything else but the keyboard, Xpand will all of a sudden drop in tuning to a pitch that is now completely off with the song. This will happen even if I am not playing the keyboard but if it is plugged in. This will also happen if the keyboard is plugged in, I draw some notes in through the song, play it back and some time during playback I will hear the instrument detune by itself.

This has been happening before Protools 8 as well. It hasn't always happened though. That's the frustrating part.

I will be more than happy to answer any more questions if it helps you help me better.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Avid

Try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:54 PM

Hi

I tried what you described and it seemed to have worked for a bit but I'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it takes a bit for it to actually happen but it's now doing the same thing. Any more suggestions or thoughts on why this could be happening?

Thanks a lot
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Avid

In Audio MIDI Setup, is the Radium showing up properly? Do you have anything connected to it in that window? I would also just try creating a new configuration - do not change anything in the new configuration (such as cabling or any parameters for the keyboards/interfaces) and test again.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:41 PM

Hi

The Radium has never shown up in the audio/midi settings in os x. I was never sure why. I'm pretty sure I have the right drivers installed. When I create a new device M-audio isn't even in the drop down menu. But when connected via midisport UNO USB or simply by a midi cable from the Radium to the Projectmix the midi test goes fine. It's giving me sound output when I hit the keys. That has never been a problem.

I noticed the other day as I was using Kontakt in standalone mode that it would detune but this time i noticed it was the pitch wheel in kontakt moving by itself. i read somewhere that this could be a hardware problem with the keyboard and nothing to do with my computer or programs.

This is the thread I read that in http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?t=995
Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 PM

I use a midiman radium 61 key controller with reason and it moves knobs within reason by itself all the time. Its been doing it for the passed year or so now, i've just been working with it but im fed up with it. Im trashing it tomorrow and getting a midi controller with no midi knobs