Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM

Default Satellite LE and Network Config.

Just curious how others run the satellite LE configs with Mac Pro Models with two ethernet ports.

Heres the problem.

Satellite LE system Mac Pro on Network (Ethernet Port 1) 192.168.1.1

Pro Tools HD Rig Mac Pro on Network (Ethernet Port 1) 192.168.1.1 (Ethernet Port 2) Icon Controller 69.45.65.77

Now the problem is The Main HD System is working fine most times but sometimes Pro tools looks at the Ethernet port 2 (Icon controller) for the satellite LE Link. And I don't have the option to say look at Ethernet port 1 not 2. So the fix is to disable the Ethernet port 2 (Icon controller) in MAC OS start pro tools again then it will Ether net port 1 for the satellite LE link and then I can enable Port 2 and set up the Icon.

I hope that made sense. HAs anyone else had this problem? I wanted to try all peripherals (Icon Controller and Satellite Link) on the same Giga switch to fix the problem but would there be any interference? Im worried about information not being sent properly to either the controller of the satellite Link.

Does anyone else run a satellite Link and controller on the same network with no problems?

Hope some of that makes sense.

thanks kindly in advance.

kd
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Satellite LE and Network Config.

First I will start off by saying I do not run either satellite / or Icon controllers. But I do a fair amount of network management keeping our SAN / shared storage systems running / updated.

My first question is 192.168.1.1 Is this your Router (Gateway) or have you assigned both computers with the same IP Address?

After that I would look at setting up some VLANs on your switch (assuming it's managed) to help segregate traffic.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM

Hi Thanks for the reply...

Hey I should have been more clear. 192.168.1.1 is our router. So the actual IPS are something like 192.168.1.180 and 192.168.1.67 Or whatever.

But the problem is my HD rig sometimes doesn't look at the 192.168.1.1 network (On Ethernet Port 1). It for some reason decides to look at the Ethernet port 2 for the satellite link which is not hooked up to any network. It just has the controller assigned IP (Icon Controller). There is a pull down menu in the peripherals page under Satellites which shows Ip address and ports but I cannot select between Ethernet ports like you can when selecting a Ethernet controller under Peripherals.

How Can I tell Pro Tools to only look at Ethernet port 1 for the satellite link system. much like the way I would search for Ethernet controllers.

Setting up a VLan would work but I really don't know much about how they work etc. And it still wouldn't guarantee that the HD Rig would only look for satellite Links on ethernet port 1.

Make sense?

thanks again
kd
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM

I've setup and run this config for a client. ...put the ICON on one network and the satellite on the other. If you're running two rigs with two ICONS I would place the 2 ICONS, and the 2 systems using one of the network ports on their own network, with their own SWITCH, HUB, or ROUTER. OR, just use a CAT-5 with pins 2 and 3 swapped and do direct connects between the systems and the ICONS. I would then utilize the second network port for general ethernet connectivity, along with the Satellite network path. I would keep this on a separate ROUTER ( not a switch or hub ) and then connect off the router to the outside world. This will keep unwanted network traffic from running across the "local" side of the router. Make sure you use a router for the main network and not just a HUB or SWITCH.

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 02-01-2012, 07:16 AM

I have ethernet port 1 of both mac pros and 3 x d-control units going into switch 1 then port 2 of both mac pros going to switch 2, to which is also connected my NAS and laptops.

PTHD mac pro: Port 1 - 192.168.1.1, Port 2 - 192.168.2.2
Satellite LE mac pro: Port 1 - 198.168.1.2, Port 2 - 198.168.2.3
NAS (to switch 2): 198.168.2.1
D-Control units: Default addresses (I don't even know what they are!).

As far as I can tell, this effectively keeps all D-Control and Satellite LE traffic on the port 1 network and all file movements and general network traffic on the port 2 network.

I'm using 2 cheap D-Link 8 port gigabit switches rather than Routers, which was the cheapest/simplest network I could think of which still allowed the maximum efficiency of the built-in capabilities of the mac pros' networking. Gigabit with Jumbo Frames makes the port 2 network speedy enough for my purposes.

As you can probably tell I'm no networking expert, so I can't be sure I've made the most of what I've got but touch wood, I've never had any problems with communication between the D-Control, PTHD and Satellite LE systems.

Not sure if this info is any use to you kd?

Cheers, G
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM

The info is very helpful. thanks kindly

I will tinker with the options.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Are you using DHCP or manual setup for your Ethernet Ports?