Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2015, 01:17 AM

Default Protools setup

Hi i was hoping i could get a lil help with my set up i am new to patch bays so if i listed all my gear could someone explain the best solution for connecting it all pls

focusrite c24
pcie core + access cards
Rme raydat 32 digital input pcie card
192 digital + analogue
eleven rack
003 rack +
behringer tube ultra gain compresser 2 channel
digidesign pre protools remotable pre amp
mixdream xp summing mixer
deq2496
behringer composer pro xl
behringer power play headphone amp
digidesign midi 10 channel
alesis power amp
2 x neutrik nys-ssp-l balanced jack bays
moses and mitchell 96 way bantam patchbay i picked up cheap all soldered with xlr and 1/4 trs connections

any sort of diagram or advice will be so gratefully received you can mail me direct at if its easier many many thanks

Last edited by undadogz; 03-24-2015 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Protools setup

Lots of info already on the DUC(and elsewhere) on patchbays. Here's my 2 cents, and please realize I mean no disrespect by it If you have to ask, maybe you don't really need a patchbay And, if its a used patchbay, it may prove to be more trouble than help as patchbays basically double or triple the possible signal failure points(and USED bays are likely sold off because they were causing problems).

I will breakdown some thoughts for you, looking at your list;
focusrite c24-assume you mean Control 24? Mic preamps are not considered very good and most folks don't use them much, if at all
pcie core + access cards-are you running this or the RME? Can't do both at once
Rme raydat 32 digital input pcie card- see above, maybe don't need this, OR use this and sell the 192 and PCIe cards
192 digital + analogue-dandy if you will use the PCIe cards. Useless with the RME
eleven rack-assume this is connected via SPDIF and used as your guitar "amp"?
003 rack + -serves no purpose since you have other interfaces
behringer tube ultra gain compresser 2 channel-you have no place to plug this in and really don't need it as plugins will sound better
digidesign pre protools remotable pre amp -patch to the analog inputs of the 192
mixdream xp summing mixer-feed from the analog outputs 1-6 of the 192, output goes to your monitors
deq2496-don't use it

behringer composer pro xl-don't use it. Plugins will sound better
behringer power play headphone amp-feed from outputs 7&8 from the 192
digidesign midi 10 channel -what midi devices do you need to connect?
alesis power amp
-handy if you have non-powered studio monitors

With all this said, you have 8 analog inputs that can be filled with the Digidesign Pre. No real need for a patchbay(yet). I would sell the items you don't need and buy an 8 channel lightpipe preamp to feed the 192 digital input, to give you 16 preamps for tracking. Some suggestions there include Behringer ADA8200(cheap but decent), Focusrite OctoPre Mk II Dynamic(better, and both of these would give you 8 more outputs too for more headphone mixes and/or feeds to the summing box), Midas XL48(much better preamps, but no outputs added). Note that in all of these scenarios, there is no place(or need) to connect the Control24 preamps. And, if you sell the 192 and PCIe cards, then the Digidesign Pre also has no way to connect because the RME card is looking for all digital inputs. Sorry to be so long-winded, but you have a ton of stuff and lots of it really won't integrate well, so you need to make some choices on what gear to use, before you can set about connecting it

BTW, none of this is cast in stone without knowing which version of Pro Tools software you have, whether its HD or not, and if its compatible with the computer/OS you have(not mentioned)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-17-2015, 12:59 PM

those are cheap bays

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-17-2015, 03:08 PM

Hi many thanks for your advice i am running protools 10 hd
and mac osx lion 10. something
i did hear the pre on the control 24 were no good thats why i bought the avid pre
i also bought the midi as i have a roland tdk drum kit keyboards etc thought it would keep it tidy.
i have previously been using the 003 as my main input /output but came across a opertunity to buy the hd 2 and 192 at a great price
so tense the change ...didnt realise i could use it with the eleven rack thats pretty cool
my studio isn't massive just thought i could connect it all up and learn how to set up a patchbay and have the gear accessible should i want to use it and experiment ...
so basicly i need a focusrite octopre mkii dynamic to make full use of the 192
thanks again :)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:36 PM

I'll PM you some examples

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-18-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undadogz View Post
Hi many thanks for your advice i am running protools 10 hd
and mac osx lion 10. something
i did hear the pre on the control 24 were no good thats why i bought the avid pre
i also bought the midi as i have a roland tdk drum kit keyboards etc thought it would keep it tidy.
i have previously been using the 003 as my main input /output but came across a opertunity to buy the hd 2 and 192 at a great price
so tense the change ...didnt realise i could use it with the eleven rack thats pretty cool
my studio isn't massive just thought i could connect it all up and learn how to set up a patchbay and have the gear accessible should i want to use it and experiment ...
so basicly i need a focusrite octopre mkii dynamic to make full use of the 192
thanks again :)
Well, any 8 channel lightpipe preamp will give you 8 more inputs(with preamps). Many(like the ADA8200 or OctoPre Mk II Dynamic) will also give you 8 more outputs, too(and remember something with 192, those analog outputs can feed unbalanced inputs, BUT...they must NOT ground the cold side of the balanced lines. The OctoPre doesn't care). HD10 with cards and the 192 is a nice step up from the 003 and I would sell off the RME and the 003. The Eleven Rack doesn't act as an interface in this setup. You CAN however, have the rig settings embedded into your session on any track that uses it, and you can re-amp thru it(watch some youtube videos on how that works).

Last note regarding the OctoPre, the Mk II Dynamic has the outputs, the non-Dynamic version does not(making the Dynamic version a much better option). The ADA8200 is a lot cheaper if your cash is tight(but having inputs on the front makes for a messier rack)

Old 03-19-2015, 01:13 AM

Thank you for your reply can you explain this a lil more for me ???..(and remember something with 192, those analog outputs can feed unbalanced inputs, BUT...they must NOT ground the cold side of the balanced lines. The OctoPre doesn't care)??

many thanks
Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 AM

the 192 has an unbuffered output, if you tie low to ground the output shorts out, so you float the low pin if you are going to an unbalanced input

Thank you,

Craig
Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 AM

Generally speaking, I never ever solder cold wire to ground. Either cut it off or solder to hot so there's more copper to deliver the unbalanced signal.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Generally speaking, I never ever solder cold wire to ground. Either cut it off or solder to hot so there's more copper to deliver the unbalanced signal.
cold to hot....doesn't that short and kill the signal? If you do both ends(I understand the "more copper" idea), the twist in the wires creates a capacitor(the length of the cable) and is probably not a good idea(I did this using mic cable on a pedalboard many years ago and ended up going thru and clipping all of the extra wires).