Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload (error 6101) on intel macbook pro

I have also been getting a 6101 error while running M-Powered Pro Tools 8 (8.04) using 2 different M-Audio Firewire Interfaces (Firewire410 and Profire 610) and a USB Fast Track Ultra. I am only playing back 3 audio tracks (waves files) w/no plug ins. CPU usage hasn't gone over 5% and I am getting a Hardware Buffer Error, which I have changed numerous times to no avail. I have new, clean installs of Snow Leopard, ProTools, and the Interface Drivers with all of the latest updates.
Hardware Settings: (1024 Samples, 1 Processor, 95% CPU Available)

Is there any known conflict between Snow Leopard, the firewire/USB drivers and, the latest ProTools/M-Audio components? And, is there a workaround/new firewire/usb driver that will fix this problem??

Thanks,
JIM

Black Macbook
2.15GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM
Snow Leopard 10.6.4
M-Powered Pro Tools 8.0.4
M-Audio Firewire410, Profire 610, Fast Track Ultra
Old 08-18-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribedescribe View Post

I am going to soon buy a old macbook pro with the express card slot. These computers have two seperate firewire hubs so you can dedicated one to audio and one for storage. I would like a mac pro but I cant swing it.

This is exactly what I do....and it works a treat. Very stable.

I'm running 8.0.1 with 2 profire 2626's. I'm worried about updating to the latest version of m-powered because my system is 100% stable currently on many large sessions.....why fix what aint broke?
- Yamaha HS80M
- Axiom Pro 49
- 500GB Sarotech Hardbox external HDD plugged through express card, FW800
- Waves Gold bundle, L3-16, Eddie Kramer
- 2 x Coles 4038, Royer 121, 2 x Shinybox MXL, 4 x SM57, 3 x SM58, AKG D112, SM81, Shure 16A, sE 2000, 3 x Audix D2
Old 08-20-2010, 02:46 AM

Default Is there a policy of silence now?

I have put a lot of information up about my set up on the previous page and spent weeks now, searching for a solution and no reply.

All of the equipment that I have purchased has been recommended by Avid (The MBP was purchased just for PT) and I have followed all recommendation's even with Avid's broken links on their site.

This has left me with no options and a lack of faith not just in Avid but also M-Audio who on their Forum seem to follow a similar policy, if they have no solution, keep silent and hope no one notice's.

Seriously you guys are the first and last line of defense, if you can't help, who can? A tech support phone line will be no different to you, this isnt a HD system, so any solutions should be apparent and limited.

Yes some people just need to follow some basic advice to get their system up and running but some users are a little more tech savvy and can solve more serious issues with just a few words of advice, this is not one of them.

In an earlier post it was mentioned that there was no problem with the multitude of MBP's you and your colleague's use, so asking for our set up's makes sense but when that is done, there is still no reply.

We are asked to try different firewire equipment etc. but some us have limited finances and cannot try multiple set up's or buy "new" old MBP's to make this work, have you tried replicating this issue with new MBP's?

After spending a couple of thousand on this set up, i expect it to work or at the least some response to a call for help, I'm sure it is expected that the new version of Pro Tools will deal with this problem but I and I'm sure others are at the end of their financial tether and cannot afford to spent just a few hundred more.

At least give some observation's or speculation, please don't stone wall us.

Do not mistaken this as a flame, this is a customer who has spent far too many weeks trying to resolve a problem rather than working on music.

After leaving college I had high hopes for gaining some recording experience this summer unfortunately I have been trouble shooting App's and Programs rather than troubleshooting a poorly tuned kick drum.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 AM

I had the same problem and couldn't get DigiTechSupport to comment either. I eventually resolved my issue and am grateful for the attempts to help from my fellow users, but I am pretty miffed that I didn't get an official response. It took me weeks to resolve my issue. In case you're wondering, my laptop's internal hard drive had less than 10GB left and that was causing the problem. After I freed up some space all was well. I don't think this applies in your case unfortunately.

Funny how the mods always seem to have time to delete threads though.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Im running a fairly basic set up,

iMac, intel core 2 duo, 2.66 Ghz, 1 processor, 2 cores, 2GB RAM, OSX 10.5.8
Mbox 2 with pro tools 8.0.3

Im running like 4 instrument tracks and 2 audio tracks with about 4 plugins all together and after about 3 seconds of playback ... it appears (-6101)

Now, i know its not the most hi-tech of systems but SURELY this can't be right???

I've used the exact same setup in colleges and universities and i have been able to do so much more and it comes no where near a 6101. I am really struggling to keep patience with this and seriously need some help on how i can clear up this annoyance.

I've tried every option and possible combinations in the playback engine but its still no good.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 PM

What external drive are you using for audio? (Brand, chipset if possible), also if possible I would think about doubling your RAM, 2 GB is pretty easy to chew up these days.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 09-10-2010, 04:52 AM

Im not sure in regards to external drive, all i have is an Mbox2 straight into mac then using pro tools 8.0.3. I know 2Gb RAM isn't alot but money isn't one of my strong points at the moment haha. I will be increasing it soon though. The thing is, i have used the exact same set up before with different stations but they have absolutely no problem running almost 5 times as much as i am using but even with only 2Gb, 4 instrument tracks and 2 audio tracks with the use of 3 plugins in total shouldn't be causing this frustrating scene?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Default Re: CPU Overload (error 6101) on i mac

Hi, I am having the same problem.

My G5 died on me and now got an imac 1.3, intel core 2 duo, 3.06 GHz, 4 Gb of ram (can add up to 16).

I am listening to around 30 tracks with pro tools 8, no plug ins, and keeps on stopping with buffer errors. tried to increase CPU power, sample rates etc on playback engine and nothing, same thing...

Should I get more ram? should I have the session on an external hard drive? My hard drive has 900 GB available!

Will appreciate very much any input, a bit desperate at present.:
Muriel
Old 12-21-2010, 02:41 PM

Save yourself the headaches! Follow my advice below. I have been a long time user on both windows and mac. I have had several problems, all were solved with help from this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some I solved in seconds. Others took several months. (the Firewire daisy chain bus thing) just be patient and persistent!

1. If you are having issue's read the set up guide and trouble shooting thread very carefully and try everything. Did I say read it carefully!! If that does not solve your problem, go to step 2.

2. Do multiple searches on the DUC forum! Take a couple day's to sift through the threads as far back as 4 years for both le and m-powered!! Don't be afraid to search google either. Didn't work? Go to step 3!

3. Get your audio on a external firewire hard drive (one with a digi approved chip) like a glyph external hard drive. NO USB!!!! Although recording to the internal works much better now, I still get the occasional errors when using the internal drive(especially at 5400 speed) Try it then go to step 4!

4. Do not daisy chain with m-powered. This is a known issue for many. Either buy a new computer with a express card slot(or mac pro). Another solution is to buy a USB audio device and use the firewire bus for your external drive. When I was on 7.0 daisy chaining worked, It no longer works with 8.0 m-powered. I think digi rewrote something.

The new 17' MBP has a express card slot. I have a 08 pre unibody mpb with a express card. I no longer get these errors and pro tools just purrs along like my kitten.

later,

scott
Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Funny how the mods always seem to have time to delete threads though.[/QUOTE]

aiiieee. lol