Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 02:32 PM

Default VEPro Plugin not found in ProTools 12 Session after upgrade from VEP 5 to VEP 6 PT12

Note: This question involves Vienna Ensemble Pro and ProTools 12. I posted on the VEP Forum and members suggested I post here, suspecting this is an RTAS 32 vs AAX issue. So here goes...

I am upgrading from ProTools 10 to ProTools 12.6, and from Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (VEP5) to VEP 6. I have two boot volumes, one with PT 10/VEP 5 and one with PT 12.6/VEP 6.

I have a PT session that is coupled to VEP 5. This session opens and plays correctly after launching VEPro Server 64-bit and using the PT10/VEP 5 combo in the volume where it was originally created.

When I attempt to open the same session after booting from the second volume with PT 12.6 and VEP 6 and launching VEP 6 Server 64-bit, x, I get an error saying the Vienna Ensemble Pro plugin is not found. If I click OK to dismiss the error and let the session open anyway, I can see the greyed out plugin assignments, all of which reference 'VEPro". I can click on the insert with the greyed out 'VEPro' label and select the instrument option for 'Vienna Ensemble Pro (stereo)' -- so the VEP 6 plugin is, in fact installed and visible to PT.

If I do this, what appears in the Insert is labeled 'Vienna Ensemble Pro' and not 'VEPro', I get a AEA error -20007 (which I cannot find in any PT docs or by Googling), and there is no sign of the coupled VEP instance. I can load a new instance, but, as expected, the setup associated with the coupled instance is lost. Thoughts on how to proceed?

2010 MacPro (5,1)
Mac OS 10.11.6
ProTools HD 10/11/12 (HDX)
Avid HD 16-I/O

Last edited by z_jerry; 12-28-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Add system data
Old 12-29-2016, 04:17 AM

Default Re: VEPro Plugin not found in ProTools 12 Session after upgrade from VEP 5 to VEP 6 P

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_jerry View Post
I have two boot volumes, one with PT 10/VEP 5 and one with PT 12.6/VEP 6.
Welcome to the Community!

Does each drive need its own eLicenser/Vienna Key?

You can use VE Pro 6’s 32bit Server for 32bit VST/VSTi in Pro Tools 10.
(You mentioned you’re OK in PT10 with VE Pro 5’s 64bit Server)

Why not install VE Pro 6 on both boot volumes? "70% less CPU usage & new features!"

https://vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software...a_Ensemble_PRO

“Please note that you need a valid license for Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 on your ViennaKey to apply the Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 license upgrade.
The software installation of Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 will overwrite Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. All Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 projects are fully compatible with Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.”

eLicenser Control Center - Version 6.10.5.1203 – released DEC 14 16
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company...elicenser.html

Relevant update for VE Pro 5 users:
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 - build 5.4.15566 – released DEC 5 16
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 12-29-2016 at 05:54 AM. Reason: "70% less CPU usage & new features!" = VSL quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:16 AM

Default Re: VEPro Plugin not found in ProTools 12 Session after upgrade from VEP 5 to VEP 6 P

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
Welcome to the Community!

Does each drive need its own eLicenser/Vienna Key?

You can use VE Pro 6’s 32bit Server for 32bit VST/VSTi in Pro Tools 10.
(You mentioned you’re OK in PT10 with VE Pro 5’s 64bit Server)

Why not install VE Pro 6 on both boot volumes? 70% less CPU usage & new features!

https://vsl.co.at/en/Vienna_Software...a_Ensemble_PRO

“Please note that you need a valid license for Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 on your ViennaKey to apply the Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 license upgrade.
The software installation of Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 will overwrite Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5. All Vienna Ensemble Pro 4 or Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 projects are fully compatible with Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.”

eLicenser Control Center - Version 6.10.5.1203 – released DEC 14 16
https://www.steinberg.net/en/company...elicenser.html

Relevant update for VE Pro 5 users:
Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 - build 5.4.15566 – released DEC 5 16
It's nowhere near 70% more CPU efficient. I noticed little difference. This is their claim:
Quote:
New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations
I'm not sure exactly what that means except to say I was disappointed.

But then I only had it on my Mac for a couple of hours. Initially it seemed fine but then Pro Tools started crashing whenever I loaded my template session or a session based on the template. Total show stopper. This was loading my old VE Pro 5 Metaframes, (they're not called that in VE Pro 6.) I don't have time to troubleshoot or rebuild my template from scratch so it's back to 5 for me.

You say you have a second volume with PT 12.6/VEP 6 installed. Is this 2nd volume completely self contained i.e. it has a full OS installation? If it's booting from that you need to install VEP6 on that partition/volume too. Sorry if that's obvious! Just checking! You only need one Vienna Key per computer. If the plug-in is greyed out it means it's not installed or in the unused plug-in folder.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It's nowhere near 70% more CPU efficient. I noticed little difference. This is their claim:
"New code base for about 70% less CPU usage for all internal Vienna Ensemble Pro calculations "
I'm not sure exactly what that means except to say I was disappointed.

But then I only had it on my Mac for a couple of hours. Initially it seemed fine but then Pro Tools started crashing whenever I loaded my template session or a session based on the template. Total show stopper. This was loading my old VE Pro 5 Metaframes, (they're not called that in VE Pro 6.) I don't have time to troubleshoot or rebuild my template from scratch so it's back to 5 for me.
I was quoting "their" 70% - sorry to hear you were disappointed.

I guess to use old Metaframes, you’d have to keep the pertinent plug-in versions that you used installed – I reckon it’s probably easier to just make new Metaframes with updated plug-ins!
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
I was quoting "their" 70% - sorry to hear you were disappointed.

I guess to use old Metaframes, you’d have to keep the pertinent plug-in versions that you used installed – I reckon it’s probably easier to just make new Metaframes with updated plug-ins!
Indeed except I was using same, (latest,) version of Kontakt I was using in VEP5 and VEP6 in Pro Tools 12. There were no other Vi's.