Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 AM

Default Re: We need a Thunderbolt HDX system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touchwood Studios View Post
That would be very limiting because you would not be able to have a different interface if you want.
Now you pick any interface you want Avid/Apogee/Lynx
Buy a rack and put it all in one rack.
Maybe, but they'd have a shot at building a system like that in a well integrated and cost-effective way and price it so as to make it both attractive AND profitable.

They could still make a "dsp only" thru box...

Darryl Ramm
Old 05-15-2013, 08:55 AM

Its already been done by Avid... Now just to see if it ever gets released...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtuIFBIFJOQ

Sorry if this has already been posted.. Didnt have time to read whole thread..
Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
You also joined this forum in Dec 1969(pre internet)! Talkin' about being on the bleeding edge.

I'd like to see a Thunderbolt solution from Avid that is basically the HD I/O combined with HDX all in one box. It would take the UAD Apollo concept to a different level, as there would be access to way more DSP plug-ins among many other things. To me, this is an obvious move at some point.

Shane

I've been saying this for a long time as many others........before UAD, HDX......Avid doesn't listen!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:04 AM

+1
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Avid wasting money and time engineering a Thunderbolt box that would amount to a PCI card in a chassis is just plain dumb* and we'd all pay for it. Next. :)

*unless it included I/O but then you'd lose the ability to configure a system to your liking and you'd basically have an Omni with DSP and a Thunderbolt port. Which I wouldn't be interested in.
Really
Old 05-26-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
i've been advocating an external DSP box to replace the TDM cards since early 2010. (long before the HDX cards were launched.)

there's a list of good reasons why giant PCI cards (which are going the way of the dodo bird soon), and antiquated DSP chips should have been abandoned before the HDX transition. neither of these two choices were logical from a technology perspective.

unfortunately, there's also a list of good reasons why HDX appeared in the format it did. and they all make perfect sense from a dollars and cents business perspective.

in avid's defence on the clunky "card" front, don't forget that still to this day, there is no replacement for the Mac Pro, and the latest available models don't have thunderbolt. avid's HD products are aimed at professional facilities, none of whom are running their systems on TB equipped laptops! (and very few running windows machines!) so at least avid has a good excuse on that point.

IMO there's no excuses for the dinosaur DSP chips though. to me it's akin to selling day-olds as freshly baked...

YMMV
Many have been advocating about moving away from PCIe.......Avid doesn't listen?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Many have been advocating about moving away from PCIe.......Avid doesn't listen?
Thunderbolt/Light Peak is an extension of the PCIe spec
PCIe is the path that data uses to move between the storage memory and RAM/CPU and the Video card

just because there are not extra PCIe slots that the end user can access does not mean the protocol is not being used

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-30-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Thunderbolt/Light Peak is an extension of the PCIe spec
PCIe is the path that data uses to move between the storage memory and RAM/CPU and the Video card

just because there are not extra PCIe slots that the end user can access does not mean the protocol is not being used
Tell me something I don't know.......

I believe what people are advocating is a unit with TB which connects to a laptop or desk top, being mobile, additional unit linkable, links to A/D D/A.....
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Wow, as of this post I had 107 replies and 13,788 views! I started this thread a year ago. I think there has been enough interest on this subject for Avid to take notice. The PCI standard is alive and well. It's the concept of cards being placed into big boxes that is being phased out. The concept of big boxes is also being phased out. Soon we'll have laptops with 8, 16, 24 cores ("soon" is a relative term). iPads with 8, then 12/16/20/24 cores. A new Mac Pro - a server size Intel in a yet to be known package. It's coming. My laptop is still running 2 external monitors at 2560 x 1440 each, plus its retina display. It really is amazing. When Avid finally gives me the product I want, then maybe I'll start another thread!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 PM

We are effectively there now, just waiting for the full commercial release of the elements.....Was at a pt11 demo event last week in Glasgow and the Avid guys demo'd the new PT11 software on a mac laptop using a HDX2 in a Magma Thunderbolt chassis with a I/O interface. So just a few cables to link it up, Thunderbolt from computer to Magma, then standard link cables from HDX cards to I/O. Great sound and they did a live recording to demo the ability to work in real time with low low latency.

Also they showed a video which had a PT10 vs PT11 session which showed how the new engine played a 100+ track session with less than a 1/3rd of the CPU and DSP power of PT10. So the streamlining under the hood is huge!!

The PT Expert guys were there so the video should show soon.

So not quite 1 box but nearly

Regards
Scotsman