Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Recommended 2 channel interface?

I'm going to be running PT 9 on an HP 8540W laptop. I need a good interface with two mic preamps that isn't too expensive. I've read that even though PT 9 works with 3rd party products, some people have had issues. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:21 PM

Default Re: Recommended 2 channel interface?

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro-...dware-checker/

it's a fairly complete list

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 06-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Certainly is--thanks. Can anyone recommend a good 2 channel (2 mic pres) interface for a budget price?
Old 06-22-2014, 03:49 PM

These kinds of questions with very little information provided are often a waste of time, including yours. We don't know what you need. What gear you have already. What type of music you want to record/what mics you are working with (and therefore how much mic gain you might need). How portable the system needs to be. What max sample rate you wan to run at. What your budget is. Whether you need hardware monitoring, How many if any headphones you need to drive, etc. etc. etc. etc.

You should also be asking yourself how many separate outputs you need (e.g. do you need dedicated talent cue mixes?). Can it be mains powered or do you want USB Bus powered. (I'd avoid Firewire anything on a PC if possible). How much latency can you tolerate (if you can't use hardware mixing/monitoring and expect to want to track though plugins).

But for a near zero value opinion... For a low-end low-cost/good value interface I like Focusrite USB interfaces. e.g. http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-in...s/scarlett-2i2. I specially like that Focusright support staff will step in and help on DUC if you have problems. These days I'd run far to avoid any Avid (consumer == Mbox interface) and poor Avid support, except for the wonderful Eleven Rack--and if you do want to record say mono vocals and electric guitar the Eleven Rack may be worth looking at.

At the other extreme you want a high-end interface, and OK on spending a few $k it is hard to beat a UAD Apollo but that does not fir your budget requirements, but gives you an idea of what a super-capable interface can do.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:09 PM

The focusrite scarlet is ideal for me, but I have heard that some people have had trouble running it with PT 9/Windows 7.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=318433
Old 06-22-2014, 07:07 PM

It is difficult to work out in that thread what is going on in many cases, some folks seem to be using the ASIO4ALL driver when they should be using the Focusrite supplied native ASIO driver.

Almost all interfaces will have problems at times, most are software/drive related. Focusrite had some ones recently but I think they've been resolved and it was good to see customers getting support.

Also look at their support pages, etc. they do a good job of making information clearly available. http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/c...y/scarlett-2i2

Buy a 2i2 from somewhere with a good return policy and support (e.g. Sweetwater) and test that it works as soon as you get it.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 AM

IMO, don't skimp. Even if it's just a two channel interface. If I were to buy a 2-channel interface for windows it would be the sound designs USBPRE2.

If you were on a Mac, the same thing or a metric halo ULN-2, if you wanted to have some more feature built in.