Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 06-24-2014, 05:40 AM

Default Elastic audio or Beat detective ?

I have been using Elastic audio to bring tracks into grid alignment and click track synchronization and for drum parts it works great. My problem is with live recorded rhythm guitar parts. I really try hard to play in time with the click and I use the delay compensation control on my Focusite 2i4 set at mid point.
Even so it's impossible to keep the entire recorded track in sync! Elastic audio, although it tries, doesn't do so well. Is Beat detective/quantize a more suitable app for this particular application? If so, what is the proper procedure? I do a lot of vintage style, Country Rock and I'm in need of a solution. (Pro Tools 9.0.6, Windows 7, 32 bit.). Thanks.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Elastic audio or Beat detective ?

Is this not a valid question ?
Old 06-25-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I have been using Elastic audio to bring tracks into grid alignment and click track synchronization and for drum parts it works great. My problem is with live recorded rhythm guitar parts. I really try hard to play in time with the click and I use the delay compensation control on my Focusite 2i4 set at mid point.
Even so it's impossible to keep the entire recorded track in sync! Elastic audio, although it tries, doesn't do so well. Is Beat detective/quantize a more suitable app for this particular application? If so, what is the proper procedure? I do a lot of vintage style, Country Rock and I'm in need of a solution. (Pro Tools 9.0.6, Windows 7, 32 bit.). Thanks.
I would tend to use Beat Detective on drums as Elastic Audio messes with the transients. Elastic audio is more suited for guitar IMHO. Maybe if you could post a sample of your guitar and track we'd be able to tell what's going on.

Chris
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P / i7 6700K 4.1 GHz / 32GB Crucial DDR4
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Pro Tools HD 2020.5
Old 06-26-2014, 05:30 AM

Thanks cwsand, {chris). Not being experienced with Beat Detective I can't dispute what you are saying. I've had great results with Elastic Audio, especially on drums. Can you please elaborate on, "it messes with transients" when recording guitar. Perhaps it's my untrained ear but I had not noticed this. Then again it could be my playing. If I knew how to post a sample I'd be glad to. Maybe you could also give me a leg up on this. Thanks.