Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-29-2003, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Hip hop makers, Akai MPC or softsampler?

OK, I tried to keep my fingers still, but I think it is so funny how much coverage the akai gets. Some people act like if you dont use an MPC then it's not hip hop. With that kind of logic it would be safe to say that it's not hip hop unless you use an Sp 1200, or just two turntables and a beatbox for that matter. I think it's all about the samples and patches you use, and the groove you create, not the equipment you use, that makes quality hip-hop. Some of the best beats I've heard, I've seen made with a Roland 808 and an Ensoniq keyboard sampler. I've made some strong grooves with a Groovebox and a Dr. Sample.

Pretty much everything out there is going to have some kind of step write, a swing/shuffle quant. or some other quant., and a real time recording option. I think it all boils down to preference, and skill. Play around with a few different modules and programs to see what you are most comfortable using.

Right now I prefer using Reason in conjuction w/ whatever other hardware I can plug into PT through midi. I like the Reason interface so much that I've been spending hours recording patches out of my Roland, just so I can keep it in Reason. There are so many combo's you can use w/in the program, it's almost limitless. People complain about the sample quality, but I don't hear it. Play that ish through a big old speaker and it's boomin'. All samplers produce some artifacts but Reason is in mid to high quality, with a ton of programs and hardware scoring below it. And look out for Recycle in OSX(coming soon). All I can say about it is that it's gonna be the bomb, great sample utility.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

/Tito
Old 11-29-2003, 02:50 PM

Amen to that, Tito. As I mentioned earlier, imo, sample quality first, the rest is up to the producer's preference. While I never owned an MPC, I have played around with them, as I did today at my friend's house. He's been using his MPC2000XL for over 2 years and it works well for the stuff he's doing. I took over the tapping duties for a while and quickly realised that there's no need for me to invest in one of these at the moment.

I've been doing all my beats in Reason for nearly three years and this is what works for me. Sure, I love the little rubber pads, but to me that is a pure tactile preference. I can bang out the same beat on my Oxygen 8 or my Korg MS2000 using Reason. Best yet, I love working in different environments (coffee shops, hotel rooms), and doing all of this in Reason keeps everything contained and organized. Drawing notes with a mouse does not bother me whatsoever when it's my only option, I'll make it sound good.

Comparing how easy it is to layer drum hits and change their pitches on the MPC vs. Reason don't quite add up, it takes merely seconds to do all the same stuff you can do on an MPC. Again, I'm not saying Reason or the MPC is the way to go, it's whatever you prefer using. I didn't end up going to GC to audition the new MPC1000 as I said I would earlier, as I realised that my enthusiasm was purely based on trying new methods when composing beats, which is all good, but not necessary at the moment. Reason rocks my world with all it's routing and automation capabilities. Perhaps one day I'll spring for the MPD-16 pad controller, for the sake of trying something different, but man, I've got like two dozen kits all mapped out and saved on ReDrums and NN-XT's, with the most gorgeous, velocity-sensitive samples covering all genres. Having said that, I will never deny that MPC's are absolutely great and fun to play with and if that's what you're used to for your beat creation and that switching to software-only after using an MPC can be rather underwhelming, but buying an MPC now, based simply on the fact that a wide community of producers use them would be silly in my situation.

Visualize whirled peas.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:26 AM

AKAI MPC (1000) is most FUN! for the buck.

best
Old 12-01-2003, 03:56 AM

Another point is that you tend to "play" the MPC, but you "program" reason/logic etc..
I think alot of beatmakers see the MPC as an instrument rather than just a sequencer.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:10 AM

Anyone here heard of Prefuse 73 ? He only uses a MPC and a Moog every once and a while. His sound is amazing (even if you dont like the styleeee). once its finished he uses PT to track what he made and add FX.

I say, try one out at a store, see if you like it. Go back a few times, they aren't going to kick you out. If you like it, get one and spend alot of time with it. Once you spend some time with it and get to know it really good, you can make anything on it.

Its not the only thing to make hip hop on, but its one of the easiest things to do it. There is nothing like plugging it in next to the living room chair, kicking your legs back and making some beats. Smoke somthing while your doing it for added pleasure.

zack
Old 12-05-2003, 11:30 AM

Dude, If your serious about getting an MPC, Great the best. THe MPC 3000. Dont waste time on the cheap ones. THe 3000 you can find for about $2500. Look on Ebay. You might get lucky.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:27 PM

For those that use any model MPC, are you using it for anything besides drum programming?

Obviously you all use Pro Tools. I see some of you use Reason and other programs in addition... all of which have sequencing features. Do you still sequence bass, harmony & melody lines on the MPC?

Currently, I don't sample. Everything comes from my keyboard, guitar, bass and drum machine(DR 770). I would love to sequence drums in a drum machine then send them to PT, but the DR 770 only has 2 outs, so I wouldn't be able to get the kick, snare hats, ect on separate tracks. I'm considering the MPC 1000, but it would only be to sample drum hits and program drums. Not sure if I'd be taking full advantage of the machine. Ultimately, I'm asking if you are satisfied with your MPC's contribution to your music being that Pro Tools, Reason, ect can do the same things. Is it that valuable for sequencing/programming drums?
Old 12-05-2003, 02:55 PM

I completely am satisfied with sequencing with the MPC 90% of the time then dumping the track into PT, though I do program into PT. I'm more of a straight ahead sequencing guy. The MPC, PT, and the Triton's sequencers are totally adequate for me. With the MPC itself, I mostly sample drum hits and little "one shots" into it. The MPC is a great drum machine and a capable sequencer.
Peace