Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-27-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Hip hop makers, Akai MPC or softsampler?

an MPC is essiential to any studio.especially now that u can get one for $1000.i make all my beats on mpc first then dump tracks on to pro tools perfect combination.reason is nice but for me its mpc2000/korg triton/emu proteus for life im kinda old school though.i do use reason at my second studio because their is no mpc or keyboard except for midi controller.another thing is u can use the mpc to control reason so really u can have best of both worlds.i would definantly recomend an mpc though no doubt about it.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:34 PM

another suggestion if u think ur beats r to flat.try adding just snares first then playing a bass line or a melody or adding a sample loop bass or melody.then adding ur kicks and hi hats and fills or whatever else.i have found if i try to make the whole drum beat first it doesnt hit as hard as when i add music then drums.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:14 PM

As much as I love Reason, I'm open to experimentation with new writing methods, and the new MPC1000 looks very appealing right about now. Seems to pack a lot of punch for $850. I never worked with an MPC before but know many peeps who swear by it - I think I may go down to GC tomorrow and try it out. Cheers!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:30 PM

$850. Where at? to you mpc users what makes it so great? All I do is hip-hop and when the new mpc came out I took interest but having reason and my triton and a dr. groove I don't think I would have use for it. Anyone disagree. If it can help me make beats that would be cool. but like I said I don't know anything about it.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:45 PM

I love how the MPC sounds for the exact same reason some people don't: it gives you back almost exactly what you put in. Some samplers will impart their own "character", and that's cool, but Akai's are pretty straightforward. It's just a fantastic tool to work with. VERY quick with laying a groove down, almost without thought.

I recommended the MPD because there are some people who get the job done with their setup, but usually lack on the drum programming end. Keys just don't cut it on kick and snare, at least for me. An MPD will raise the bar in that respect. Is it an MPC? No friggin' way. But it captures one aspect of it.

Bottom line is not just to tap on it at a store. With any gear, the best thing to do is actually make a track or two with it. That's always my advice. If it feels natural, you have a winner. If performing the most basic of functions is a drag, then move to the next. That said, I would recommend an MPC to most anybody.
Peace
Old 11-28-2003, 06:47 AM

Its more about how the mpc makes you program drums than how it actually sounds
For example, your more likely to pitch down a snare, slighly filter it and combine it with another snare on an MPC than you are on EXS24/HALION/KONTAKT. MPC's make that stuff easy and fast to do.

The note repeat button on an mpc is more likely to make you play an intricate hihat pattern than sequencing in reasaon, logic or Tools.

Your more likely to reach for a compressor or an EQ in Tools to beef up your kick than you are in an MPC ( the fix in the mix mentality, steer clear!!!). In the MPC your gonna try and layer the kick with something else to get that sound (cos you dont have a compressor and the eq on the fx board is crap).

Your also more likely to resuse your drum patterns for other tracks if you have an MPC synced to your sequencer. This makes trying out ideas or doing new version of things far easier than having to reprogram a rythmn in logic that you made last week.

The 16 levels function and note slider is more likely to make you vary the tone/level of your hihats when programming than if you used a normal sequencer.

Its true that you can program in Tools/Logic/Reason anything you heard any hip hop producer do on an mpc. It might take you a bit longer but its not impossible.

However, I can gaurantee that you would NEVER have come up with that beat!
Thats the difference between the mpc and computer sequencers ...
100's of hip hop producers can not all be wrong... dont fight it ..

Old 11-29-2003, 08:58 AM

MPCs are not just for Hip Hop. It's great for house and even trance too (Though not many trance guys use them).

It's all about the swing baby!!
Old 11-29-2003, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Get a MPC and a load of records to sample from.

Soft samplers just dont have the punch and swing that the Akai sample engine does. Plus its easier to use than a soft sampler because its all there in one box and you dont have to worry about your track limit or cpu maxing out. Though you are limited on sample ram, most hip hop joints dont need a lot of sampling time.

Its all about the MPC baby, I have had mine for 4 years and would sell everything else in my studio including my digi 002r before I got rid of my MPC. Its the best.

zack

-What about the AKAI s3000Xl?
Is that anything like the MPC?
KK.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:04 AM

The S3000XL is a rackmount sampler. The MPC is a tabletop sampler with 16 pads, aimed mostly for (but not limited to) rhtythm programming.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:58 PM

What about other styles (r&b, rock, pop, blues)? What does the mpc1000 lack compared to the 2000, 3000?