Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-24-2002, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Why iS Sound Replacer so Crappy?

Munx,
If you want to try it,it comes as a demo on the 001 cd as part of the install.
You will like it.
Aj
Old 05-24-2002, 01:55 AM

I cant understand what some of you guys are on about here, it sounds as though your not using it properley. as far as checking the whole track, for mis-triggers and making sure it's getting all the hits I always write to a seperate track, put it below my snare and then listen to the snare, watching the sample keeping the soundreplacer window open and just redoning any little fill etc that didn't quite make it. As far as setting the trigger threshold, I always just select a small part of the drum track to be triggered, again maybe a fill, drag the sliders to where I want them, then select the whole track and destination track (new track just created). As far as auditioning goes, doesn't battery do that??? I havent seen it yet though, I always just keep the SR window open and do a few different samples in different places within the track. Just glad the S3000 and D4 have been switched off for a while now.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:36 AM

I usually just separate a small region to process first - as a faster way to here it with the whole mix. And then do as Andy said for checking alignment with the original track.

It does however seem that updating plugs is a low priority for Digi these days.
Old 05-24-2002, 08:48 AM

with so many people riding their ***** for OS X support and all that, do you blame them? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2002, 09:09 AM

!

No one here is complaining that it doesnt "look" pretty, or that it doesnt have "neato" graphics.
Im talking PRODUCTIVITY and CREATIVE ENRGY.
Read the fikin post before you respond with things like.. " Who cares what it looks like" or... " you guys are using it wrong"

The preview Im taking about is not the normal audiosuite preview. Think about, im sure you can muster up the concept.
I use the **** out of Soundrepalcer. I understand its every nuance and flaw.
It is OUTDATED and Nedds a rehaul.
This is not an oppinion. This is Fact.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:47 AM

Ajazzie, thanks man, it's good to be back. Our latest record was originally going to be mixed on a TDM system but both of my usual options have fallen through. So I've been spending the last six weeks desperately trying to learn how to mix on a 001 in the rooms I have here. I've been overhauling the rooms and checking mixes for days and I finally have it done. I'll post some stuff later if you guys don't mind giving a listen and some pointers or things I may have missed.

Bassmac, I tried to call you and I got your message but I have unfortunately lost your phone number. If you would be so kind as to email me again with it I would love to chat when you have a minute.

To Everyone Else: I know how to use SR. And all of the ideas on how to use the plug are not new to me or anyone else here. These opinions are not based on some belief that the plugin doesn't work. They simply offer suggestions on how to make it work EASIER. I have come up with my own way of working around this plugin through years of use and it functions just as it should. But the bottom line still remains the same...

You CANNOT preview any of the audio unless you import it into the region bin first or load it into Sound Replacer and preview it AS style. This could be solved by being able to listen to the samples while you are looking for them (like in the Import Audio function). I for one can't memorize the names of all of my samples and although this functions works the "Import" way, the plugin would function easier if it were implemented into SR itself.

Second, There is no way to preview the SOURCE TRACK and the DESTINATION TRACK at the SAME TIME without processing the track first. Yes, it is possible to process a small portion of the track first and then listen and redo if necessary, but again, this plugin could simply be made better by implementing this function straight into SR.

And that is why this post is here...to discuss ways to make this plug more user friendly. Not one person here has said that this plugin doesn't work, and that it doesn't save us all *****loads of time. WE ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO MAKE IT BETTER!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks to those who have offered sound advice and to those who have read the entire posts, no matter how long winded I may get.

To all of the others, If you feel the need to respond to a thread please read the entire post before responding, it makes it easier in the long run [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
Old 05-24-2002, 09:42 PM

Nine always says it better than me.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:37 AM

I read your thread, just trying to help with a few pointers, try triggering from a D drum trigger (the transducer) also, almost no mistriggers and alot quicker. Has anyone seen this battery plug in yet for auditioning samples??? I've seen it on the HD demo cd but not in the flesh so to speak. One thing with SR I've noticed is if your going by the screen within SR for your threshold, even if it shows it's triggering it doesn't always, thats why I never bother trying to see the whole track within the screen, so maybe you have a valid point there. Anyway chaps, no need to get grumpy, just remember what it was like triggering with the old TC unit or the akai and remember to smile today.
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]