Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2000, 11:49 AM

Default Geek check...

Just curious,
Did anyone else here spend hours and hours on the web, printing out everything they could find on gear, putting it in a binder and taking it to work to read everyday? Hung up the keys when you got home and jumped on the DUC?
Printed out every online manual you could get a hold of? Read every word on every page....twice. Been extra nice to your wife so when you ask her if it's alright to buy a $8,000.00 recording system, she won't kill you.
Actually became 'friends' with some of the guys here on the DUC? Realized you're NOT the only one with those crazy recording ideas? Can't wait to see if the Dual G4's will work?

Just Curious (I'm not like this at all )
Old 08-04-2000, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Geek check...

I also formated all the manuals on a 2-up landscape duplexed sheet at 1200 dpi - AND printed the really important pages on the color laser....on three-hole paper.

I have to cook dinner twice a week (and take her out once a week) in order to get plugins....

Hey, don't you also work out various "sales approaches" to talk her into that new tube <blank> that you want?

Actually, I have NO idea why anything you mention is at all out of the ordinary...I'm just a normal kind of guy.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 08-04-2000, 02:10 PM

I have read every new post on the DUC (just about every category) since January. I got my Mac and the Digi001 beginning of July, and after my big-a** computer crash two days ago, I've been Mac-less (probably in need of a new motherboard) and Digi-deprived. I am still reading everything. And praying my Mac will be up soon (what, a month, two months), until I can start making money again.

Juergen
Old 08-04-2000, 02:11 PM

I hear ya MattStrat. I spent what seemed like forever living just like that. I was putting together a Mix Plus system to make matters worse. I wound up getting most of it used.

At one point I reallized that most of my research had turned into unorganized bookmarks in my browser, and that the big picture was all in my head, which was ready to explode. I'm a programmer during the day to make brain clog even worse.

At that point I actually got a flowcharting program and layed out the whole system, complete with links to a huge html doc I made with links to all pertinent sites etc. That helped me get in gear and actually get up and running.

It's sometimes hard to believe I'm actually recording music now...ain't technology grand.

Fellow geek (and Strat player)
Tom

P.S.: Just ordered a TC M3000 this afternoon...woohoo...ain't plastic grand

[This message has been edited by tld (edited August 04, 2000).]
Old 08-04-2000, 04:42 PM

OH Thank You
I thought it was just me, I'm just so hooked on all of this. Infact it's got to a point where I'm too scared to read posts on new gear.I read it, research on it, then go out to buy it and if I can't make up my mind out of 2 items I buy both.
How do I tell my wife that she may have to move out of her bedroom so I can build the new studio as the old one (studio) is getting so cramped that air space is now being effected. I went out to buy her a birthday present and bought a new mic instead. How hard is it to hide the new Strat and Fender amp, that's like trying to hide a V8 without the muffler. I have to wait till she goes to bed so can take it out of the case, what makes it worse I can't even play guitar I JUST HAD TO HAVE IT!!!
Holidays are up and the GEAR STAYS HOME....Oh no how can this happen! I'll have to buy an iMac. What did you have to buy for the iMac to run Protools?
Regards The Geekest
Nick from Aussie
Old 08-05-2000, 12:21 AM

i have no idea of what you speak.

i guess after sitting in recording studios with engineers that just didn't get what i was talking about the idea of doing yourself without sacrificing quality is fairly compelling.

okay, more than fairly.

fully geeked,
mp
Old 08-05-2000, 12:52 AM

did? did??? I STILL do!!

captian geek

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 08-05-2000, 03:08 PM

I feel your pain. I thought having a girlfriend and doing this was hard. I can't imagine being married. She would have to be into her own thing.
Old 08-05-2000, 05:55 PM

I've always had 20/20 vision, but I think staring at a computer monitor for xx hrs a day is taking it's toll - I'm actually going to the eye doctor - this has definitely unleashed my obsessive side .... and I LOVE IT!
I'm lucky to have a real supportive wife, although she insists on us getting a new roof on the house (it just leaks a little) before I get x amount of channels of high-quality preamp & apogee converters (which will cost about 2x the roof!) . Women can be so unreasonable, no sense of priority!

LW are you talking gourmet -**** or shake & bake? If it's S & B - your gettin' off easy.

I gotta make homemade pasta once a week for the "good graces" - I'm getting big arms from rolling dough!!

We just got internet connections at my job - guess where I go if there's even 5 minutes of downtime? Here

However , you guys are with the 3-ring binders, laser color , hyperlinked web connections are truly not right!!

Geeks unite
Tony
Old 08-05-2000, 07:22 PM

<--- not married

otherwise, she'd think I was nuts for wanting to spend X dollars on all this recording stuff.

I heard about the g4-dual success story in another thread.

Now I'm waiting for Digi's word on the subject before I get back into
Computer Geek Audio Config Ninja Mode.

Can't wait to get my new toys!!!

------------------
Ed Worf
Chicago burbs
[email protected]
(If you need a pro tools assistant in Chicago, drop me a line)