Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE really needs ADC

Quote:
For all those saying that ADC uses a huge amount of CPU power, one that was Steinberg's reason for not doing it in VST and SX1, but guess what SX 2 comes out with full PDC and no one notices a higher cpu load. You know? The math necessary to accomplish this is essentially an excel spreadsheet. The only time the PDC has to be calculated is when you add or remove a plugin. Other than that, its a static one time calculation, with track start times adjusted just as if you had nudged them yourselves. A TI83 could calculate the matrix needed for this, I see no reason why any modern computer and for gods sake HD needs a bunch of CPU power to accommodate it.

Shawn
ADC is a huge TDM DSP hog on HD simply because the HD Chips themselves have very little of the memory needed but plenty of processing power..... (Well not really But we can continue that myth for anyone thats invested the approximatly 20,000 dollers is going to take to get 48 stereo HD tracks and the available DSP of a single Intel Quad with the MPTK and then update their plugs and buy a DIGI interface)... Since The delay compensation must occur before any processing it needs to be done first and that kills the DSP chip. The actual delay compensation is simple math and the tracks are delayed the correct amout of samples. There is no reason for ADC/PDC on a native version of PT to take up ANY CPU whatsoever since the process is indeed static and not dynamic. Theres no reason (other than marketing) for ADC not to be in LE and theres no reason for it to consume any processing power other than recalculating while adding plugs/Hardware inserts and the like.

The marketing concept of "Since the Corvette has 480HP, Dual Cams, Four Wheel Disc and Active Suspension the Malibu can only have a oldfashioned carburetor with a manual choke, drum brakes and pull starter doesn't fly when all of the other cars in its class offer standard 4 wheel disc, fuel injection and ABS. I see a lot of happy people driving KIA's and Hyundais. They don't care its a Hyundai, They saved 10 grand-got all the features they wanted and a better warantee to boot.

The compelling PT advantage is pretty much gone at the entry level.

Compared to previous years there seemed to be VERY few newbies around here the holidays this year. Any one else notice that? Freakin Mausoleum...

I think a lot of folks looked at their options and choose the best tool for the job.

FWIW No one in the Pro Audio dept of my local BanjoHut runs Protools... None, Nada, Zip.
Cubase? Sonar? Logic? Yes PT? No.

They will happily sell you the DAW of your choice but they don't go home to Protools.

It's getting harder to recommend LE with the other options out there.

Definately look into some alternative DAWS.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-28-2008, 05:37 PM

A bit of a sideways thought really for PT LE Users.

I move between a HD3 system and an LE system regularly and theres nothing more annoying then the absence of Delay compensation in LE. The phasing is just unbearable and there is no way I'm going to nudge all different audio tracks to compensate just to have to move them back.

So here's an idea for LE to avoid processing power. Under "Tracks" menu add "Auto Nudge"
Auto Nudge - Automatically applies the appropriate nudge required to compensate for Plugin Sample Delay to regions on the selected track/s. Turning "Auto Nudge" off returns all regions to original places.

This could also be a selectable option when PT prompts that the IO has changed when moving from PT HD to PT Le. When moving the other way PT HD can ask to enable Delay Compensation and move all audio regions back to original places. The prompt could also give you the option to leave compensation off and not move the regions, or reset to default which effectively turns off the auto nudge and places all regions back.

k.

MacPro QUAD 3.0Ghz
ProTools 8HDcs3, HD3, 192 IO, Rosetta800,Digi Pre, SyncIO, ICON D-Control, D-Command, Avid Mojo.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
A bit of a sideways thought really for PT LE Users.

I move between a HD3 system and an LE system regularly and theres nothing more annoying then the absence of Delay compensation in LE. The phasing is just unbearable and there is no way I'm going to nudge all different audio tracks to compensate just to have to move them back.

So here's an idea for LE to avoid processing power. Under "Tracks" menu add "Auto Nudge"
Auto Nudge - Automatically applies the appropriate nudge required to compensate for Plugin Sample Delay to regions on the selected track/s. Turning "Auto Nudge" off returns all regions to original places.

This could also be a selectable option when PT prompts that the IO has changed when moving from PT HD to PT Le. When moving the other way PT HD can ask to enable Delay Compensation and move all audio regions back to original places. The prompt could also give you the option to leave compensation off and not move the regions, or reset to default which effectively turns off the auto nudge and places all regions back.

k.
Brillant idea!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Was just reading the DigiRack plugin guide, and on page 13 it says the following: Delay Compensation is automatically enabled on Pro Tools LE systems and cannot be turned off. What delay compensation is this referring to? This is the latest DigiRack manual for 7.4. Hints of something to come, or is there some kind of delay compensation in place? Thanks! Shawn
This page supports that, I think, but maybe just for digirack.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 AM

I use Waves SSL, API 550A+B +Api 2500, Sonnox transient modulator, EMI EQ and Limiter, Tl space, Autotune 5 on channels with no delay. Even Eleven.
I use the Waves Rdesser on every channel, so the delay of 20 gives no problem.

I use ozone3 and Maxim, Sonnox Limiter and inflator on the master, so why bother?

My small problem is the digidesign expander/gate and API 560 I sometimes use on a channel.
So, what do I do? I colour these traks red so I don't forget.

works for me.

Chicken
Old 06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Wow - cannot believe this has not been addressed yet. I came here and searched for this topic before upgrading my LE to 7.4. And I reckon I won't be upgrading.

As long as this feature is missing, the software can hardly be called Pro. Protools "Lame Edition" - that and the pathetic 32 track limitation. In the DAW world now, with so many richer options - cannot imagine how anyone would get into this software today.

WinXP Pro
PTLE MBox
Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM

How about this plugin by Mellowmuse? It's called Auto Time Adjuster.

http://www.mellowmuse.com/

It sounds like a better solution than the Digi rack time adjuster.
The only downside is that it's VST Mac only,but you could purchse
the plugin and the VST-RTAS adapter and still pay around $100 or less.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 AM

wow, cool plugin!

this quote from the website seemed important to note:

"needs to be authorised in a VST host eg: Live, Cubase, Reaper, the "i" authorise button has been removed when using VST-RTAS Wrapper in ProTools, due to a bug that is currently being worked on."

but since it's a bug, sounds like they'll fix it eventually
Digi 002 Mixer
PT 10.3.4 + PT 10 HD

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.8.2
6 GB RAM
Mbox 2 Pro
PT 10.3.4 + CPTK