Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-09-2006, 05:41 AM

Default Re: playback problems

On the bright side, it's nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. But this bug is really slowing me down too.

With regard to the workaround of resetting the MBOX i.e changing the playback buffer size or the Cache size, this does not always work, and many times results in a system freeze (requiring a Force Quit). Also, yesterday I was at a point where if I added a new Audio track (a mono track), the system would freeze (this was repeatable). I also noticed that the "dyn" button on the offending new audio track was highlighted, very strange.

Digi -- PLEASE -- let's get back to "rock solid" ASAP! Many thanks.

Andy
Old 01-09-2006, 06:12 AM

Try 90%, 1024 and leave the other settings as factory that should do it.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:27 PM

Actually what version of PT and OSX are you using?... Have you done ALL digis troubleshooting thread? Perhaps check your RAM with memtest or something
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 AM

My settings were already posted. No nothing wrong with our settings, os and I don't know what, just an awful bug.

I'm a pro tools user for a long time, and now I must admit that at the moment PTLE Mbox is one of the less stable workstation I know (and I know many...), and RTAS by far the worst plug-in standard on a mac(have problems with G5 HD although).

Can anyone from Digidesign be kind to answer our posts, tell that our playback problem has been understood (hey, it is not a minor bug!!!), and that Digidesign is working on a fix? Or isn't the case and am I losing my time on that buggy soft/hard combination?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:11 AM

Sorry to insist. But during this time we are stuck!!! Please Digidesign answer our posts.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:04 AM

i've got the same problem.....buffering.... i switch over the settings and this works and then it MIGHT happen again!?!?!? and i switch them back.......like the man says come on digidesign..... i am planning on using my mbox with a live setup and I dont need it buffering during a performance...very unstable.... if only we still used 0s9 and the free version of pro-tools... never failed.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:46 AM

Hi All,

Yes, Ive had the same problems since upgrading to 7. So frustrating, I have tried all the suggested fixes ect no luck.

Think I am going to have to buy logic express to get back to work.
Has anyone tried logic express recently with mbox, any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Pat

Imac g5 2.0, osx10.4, 1.5 ram, Lacie firewire, Mbox, ptle 7. Stylus 1.5, Trilogy, GPO, Reason.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
Avid

We have been looking into possible causes for this, but do not have anything solid as of this moment.

For the poster who said this is a 'known bug' - can you please point to where you go that information? I see no specific bugs in our database related to this.

For everyone else please let me know:

1. What your DAE Playback Buffer is set to.
2. Which plug-ins, as well as their version numbers, you're using in the sessions having this problem.
3. If you are getting buffer errors, or any other errors, what the error number is in those messages.
4. Let me know also if you've done all the basic setup and troubleshooting steps and if any of those steps helped at all, specifically if creating a new admin account and signing in under it returns things to normal for any length of time.
5. Try removing ALL 3rd party plug-ins from the Plug-Ins folder located at MacHD>Library>Application Support>Digidesign>Plug-Ins, launch Pro Tools and tell me if you still have the problem.
6. Lastly, list your complete system specs, OS version and Pro Tools version.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:26 AM

I said it was a known bug because I read this in an earlier post in the DUC:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

I'm sure if you look backwards in the avalanche of mails provoqued by PT7, you will find lots of other issues like this.

I can't help you anymore. After days of trying and asking, I downgraded to PTLE 6.9.2. Sorry but I'm no beta tester, but a sound professional who paied his software. I installed and repaired lots of PT LE-TDM-HD in my life, but had no solution to that.

I specially had this issue everytime I activate Reaktor 5.1, even if no ensemble was loaded in the reaktor interface. But that happens from time to time with other plugs, too.

1.The DAE playback buffer was on 1024 or 512

2.Reaktor 5.1 and some others (sorry can't remember: happened so many times)

3.Never had an error message when it arrived: only the stop button activated with the run one

4.Not tried the new account trick. trashed prefs, repared authorisations, repaired disk.

5.I need my third pary plugs: working with synths. of course sessions with only digi plugs had fewer problems (CPU spikes "holding USB..." and other PT7 specialities only).

6.pbook titanium g4, 1ghz, 1024 mb, OS 10.4.3 PTLE 7.0 Mbox, Maudio Oxygen8, reaktor 5.1, synchronic, DINR LE, Waves NPP (last update)

ok sorry I lost too much time. going back to work with my downgraded PTools and... my logic pro. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM

1024 buffer is ungodly high - this is evidence of digi's shoddy optimization.

On my g5, 1024 buffer performance in PT is roughly equivalent to 128 buffer in Logic Pro -