Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-17-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Re: playback problems

probably shouldn't post this but it's not just digi having problems adjusting, here's a letter I got from NI tech support regarding Reaktor 5.1:

Quote:

Hello Konrad Carelli,
the 48 Khz issue seems really to be a problem between Reaktor and the Digi coreaudio. I will forward this and we will fix this with an upcoming update.

As for the RTAS issue: please remember that the dual processor support in Pro Tools7 is rather a new feature. We are sorry that there are still some problems in this area. We are working together with digidesign on that and we have made together with them a decision how to adress the RTAS performance issues.

Best regards,

<-name removed->

-> Native Instruments GmbH * * *-> Schlesische Str. 28
-> D-10997 Berlin * * * * * * * -> Germany
-> http://www.native-instruments.com

Old 01-17-2006, 03:49 PM

RTAS dual processor problem is known, but I have only one... as you read.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM

This totally sucks ... I've wasted an hour today, and my creative momentum is constantly being depleted by this bug, which at this point is giving me the infinite spinning beachball. Digi, I hope you have already been able to recreate this problem and are working on it, because it is crippling. Before this I wouldn't even think of switching DAW's, but now I'm at wits end. I simply don't know what to do about this. Please understand, this isn't a threat .. it's just a fact.

Please, get well soon.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:00 PM

This 7.0 "upgrade" is shameful. I'm pulling my hair out and missing my deadline, losing money ... why? Because my session either won'y play, or it freezes when i try to toggle the buffer/cache settings (which seems to be the settled upon "quick fix"). Well, I'd like to say "quick fix" is exactly the what it ain't. I'm dead in the water. Thank you digidesign.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:17 PM

I wonder why the posting on this thread has stopped, when this bug still continues to be immeasurably detrimental.

Yes, I have followed all the known troubleshooting steps, and then some. I have verified my ram, my system, I have even installed a new hard drive, operating system, you name it.

I have learned to live with starting a session several times before it finally decides to play without hanging up and spinning. But every once in a while, a session is just stubborn and refuses to start. This time, I have finished a mix, and need to bounce it down and send it off to my contact so it will make a deadline of a CD release. And I may miss it. In fact, I probably will.

Digidesign, words cannot express my frustration. That I cannot complete my work that has come so far is your fault. And I'm angry. I'm sitting here wanting to work, and I can't. I am working hard to make a place for myself in this business. I sacrafice alot for this ambition, and I've made some good progress in less than 2 years, just got a prime time use of one of my cues. No a big deal to the more experienced, but to me it's a big step. But not being able to start my latest session that I saved and closed routinely the night before is a shot to me. Losing a spot on a library CD that will get prime time tv play because of a software bug, makes me feel as if I made a rookie mistake by going with ProTools LE. This software has become a road block for me. One minute I'm plowing through the creation of a wonderful dramatic arrangement and feeling like a professional. The next minute I'm staring at a spinning beachball wondering what went wrong and feeling like an amateur. What a pity.

Please understand, I'm not trying to spew anger or hurt feelings. I know (hope) there are talented people working very hard on fixing this problem. I just feel the need to express my feelings and to do it honestly.

If anybody can offer help, I would gladly accept it. And in the meantime I will just continue trying to open my song and get lucky that I might hear it. I will continue to check daily for a software update. I will continue trying to have more patience, and continue wishing I didn't have to.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:58 PM

I have had this very same problem for over a year now. It has come and gone, but only with different PT versions that I've upgraded to. Starting at 6 to 6.4, this happened so bad that I just stopped using PT all together. Some how, when installing PTLE 6.7, all of my issues went away, and that was the best $75 I've ever spent. 6.9 had no issues. NOW, I jump to 7.0cs4, only because I bought a new dual-core AMD and wanted to utilize it...and what happens the first time I start a NEW SESSION?? I have to hit space, or the transport play button (either or) a good 3 to 4 times to get the session to start to actually play. Same issue as everyone else: press play, and both play & stop buttons light up at the same time, while "pause" is displayed in the lower left corner for a 1/10th of a second. I have no clue what causes this...I even tried a new keyboard (eventhough it happens with a mouse clicking play on the transport as well)..no luck.

This is my current setup:
PTLE 7.0cs4
Win XP, SP2 (dual-core hotfix + all optimizations listed in Allenstein Machine post for WinXP)
Digi002r, all sessions @ 24/48 (had power harness replaced)
AMD Opteron 165 @ 1.8ghz (dual-core)
Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
Corsair TwinX2048-3200 DDR400 Ram (2GB, matched pair)
nVidia GeForce 6600 SLI Graphics Card
Western Digital 80gb (System Drive)
Western Digital 74gb Digital Raptor/SATA, 10k RPM - (Record Drive)
Antec TPII 550w Power Supply

The list of things I've tried to stop this is far too long to type, none of which have done any good except get me frustrated. As far as hardware is concerned, these are the other components I've tried SOLEY to stop this problem when I was using PTLE 6.4 and now 7.0 (talk about flushing money!!), no luck and no clue as to what is actually causing it:

- Motherboards: Asus K8V-SE, K8N
- Every HDD that I own to try playback from (all different size, ATA/100, USB2.0, and 1394 WD drives + current SATA WD Raptor drive)
- Processor: AMD Athlon64 3700 @ 2.4ghz (single core)
- Power: Antec 350, 480, 550 TruePower supplies
- Rosewill ATI Radeon AGP graphics card
*- Corsair RAM has remained the same since day 1, matched 1gb sticks (what RAM does everyone use?)
- Always used XP Pro, both SP1 and SP2, every hotfix I could find that might relate to this

Also tried:
- Switching the order of RAM sticks, also tried using only one
- Every H/W Buffer setting, only temp. fixing the issue like everyone else
- Every DAE playback setting from 1-8, same...only a temp fix
- Restarting session does not help, clearing DAE Pref's,etc. does not help either, nor does restarting computer.
- 2 Different mBox's, Digi002r before and after having power harness replaced
- Disabling any and every XP program/service/option that might interrupt PT performance
- Reformatting system drive/reinstalling Windows XP
- Praying. that doesn't work either in this case.

I have absolutely no clue what causes this. The only thing I haven't tried yet as noted above is trying a different brand of DDR400 RAM, or messing with any RAM timings in the BIOS setting to try and utilize it better.

DIGI~~ All I ask is that you guys PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF ALL PT USERS just help us along here, and lets try to pinpoint this problem!!! What would cause this to begin with? Is the playback disk choking up? Would RAM settings or anything it has to do with cause playback not to start? How does PT process a "Play" command, and what happens internally with the software and how data is pulled from the HDD to process and use for playback? Anything will help, nothing i've read so far really gets this technical on the data flow from my finger pressing spacebar, all the way to sound coming out of the speakers as a successful playback, so trying a bunch of random and tedious "fixes" isn't going to solve anything!!! I tried to call, no one knew what I was talking about and I was simply told, several times, the fixes that usually cure PT issues that everyone knows, and that no one could help me. I've also been told by DigiTech Support that apparently I was the only person on Earth with this issue, which is not the case. If MAC and WIN users have this issue...it's really got to be hardware related or something way off of clearing our DAE Prefs, trying different plugins and session settings, and clearing databases.

I used to get quite a few 9093 errors as well, even with my new install of pt7 and WinXP/SP2... this is why I purchased the WD Raptor Drive to totally rule out a slow HDD as a possible issue. So far no 9093, but obviously my playback issue remains.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If everyone can agree that if this happens across platforms, the OS can't be at fault. If it happens across version numbers (6.4 and 7.0!!), it's not just a PT7 issue or anything that has to do with 3rd party plug-ins or session types. Either we have the same Digi Hardware in common or some similarity in system hardware that would cause this to happen.

Honestly, the only time this was never a problem was on 5.x with the original mBox...that setup was more stable than this new super-setup has ever been! HELP HELP HELP!!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:30 AM

ANDREW -- Thanks for replying. That's alot of info and I really appreciate it. You make good points, especially noting the existence of this bug in version 6.x. I also had this problem with 6. Not sure I experienced it with in 6.4. Also not sure what version of 6.x I was using immediately before moving to 7, but I am sure that whatever version it was (6.9 I think) I was experiencing that bug, and hoped it would be solved in 7.0. Also, I am SURE that there was a time during 6.x where this bug wasn't a problem at all. I guess I should switch back to 6.7 for the time being. I'm going to go lookup what back-compatibility issues I'm likey to face (I'm thinking the tempo editing functionality will be a bummer).

DIGI-- if you could acknowledge this once again, perhaps let us know what you know, it would mean alot to this customer. Please respond to RSSstudio's paragraph that he directed to you. I'm a software programmer, I certainly could understand and would very much appreciate any details you could share at this point.

EVERYONE ELSE -- please post here if you have been affected by this bug in any way. It seems that the priority of fixing this bug is being set pretty low, and if more people can acknowledge it and share some info, that would be good. Even you don't experience the bug but instead you are waiting until it's fixed before upgrading, saying so would also be helpful.

Andy
Old 02-24-2006, 09:56 AM

This bug is killing me as well... i had it in version 6.1 and now again in 7.0, i never upgraded to any versions inbetween those 2, it's alot worse in PT 7 and i nearly lost it last night smashing my 002, it's very crippling and annoying and lately there's many days of question of why in heck did i bother trying to go with "the industry standard", this can't be the standard!!!...

the only component in my system that isn't on the Digi compabtible list was my firewire card, so i ordered one today that is on the list (ADS Pyro). I have a feeling now after reading all these posts that the $55 i just spent isn't going to matter????... but i wanted to rule out any and all possiblities in regards to computer components. Everything else is all Digi approved stuffed and all the digi required tweaks in XP have been done.

I'll let ya know if the new firewire card does anything?