Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-04-2003, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Mastering at home vs. professional studio

Quote:

Idealistically you should use a great sounding, well equipped, well staffed studio. As previously stated, budget will determine where a project is tracked, mixed, & mastered.
Before, it seemed as though you were suggesting that even the lowest-cost low-budget home-project deserved "top notch" mastering...which to me is a misappropriation of resources.

Quote:
But it should be sent out to affordable ME for mastering, if the project so requires. If the project has great songs it still deserves the best treament. Period. There are many of Professional level ME's out there for reasonable prices.
I see your point, but I'm coming from the standpoint that my work equals or betters many "budget" mastering guys, so I'd rather take the time and do it well on my own (for a given project that cannot afford "better" mastering options).

Quote:

Many ME's also like to make special deals with local bands/unsigned bands since they make their 'real money' on big, major label projects. So my statement DOES hold water.
So long as you're NOT stating that any given project, regardless of budget, should be treated to expensive mastering services, there is no argument. I'm just trying make it clear to people who might not know any better that they can still produce a fine product on their own, without shelling out an unbalanced sum of the budget toward "mastering" as if it's some magic bullet that will make them famous. It's not and it never will be.

Quote:
Would you want clients video taping your tracking, mixing, & related techniques?
I wouldn't have such a problem with it that any of my clients would indicate that I'd bitch slap them and charge double. I just don't understand the pervading attitude these days that quality engineering is somehow linked with being an @sshole.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:44 AM

qoute: - 'I see your point, but I'm coming from the standpoint that my work equals or betters many "budget" mastering guys, so I'd rather take the time and do it well on my own (for a given project that cannot afford "better" mastering options).'

Sure. As long it benefits the project, not one's ego.

qoute: - 'I wouldn't have such a problem with it that any of my clients would indicate that I'd bitch slap them and charge double. I just don't understand the pervading attitude these days that quality engineering is somehow linked with being an @sshole.'

Because there is a trend of some engineers thinking mastering is a unneeded step in the scheme of the project. Regardless of budget level or profession level of expertise. Putting themselves ahead of their clients. At any budget level, this is the wrong attitude & unltimately the project will suffer.

Let me make this very clear to you Chris, I am saying you are in this group. I'm NOT calling you an [blank].

Old 09-05-2003, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Putting themselves ahead of their clients. At any budget level, this is the wrong attitude & unltimately the project will suffer.

Let me make this very clear to you Chris, I am saying you are in this group.
Are you kidding me with this? You think I CARE who's name ends up in the "mastered by" credit? The idea of putting myself "ahead" of my clients has never crossed my mind. I'm busting my ass for my client, sometimes at a financial loss, just to make sure they get superior product in their hands. You've got other things going on man, I don't play those games.

If anything, I'm taking one for the team because I'm giving the client much better bang-for-the-buck than can be received elsewhere. I AM the pro/budget mastering guy in this case.

It comes down to this - if they've got a proper budget for proper mastering, I have NO problem handing the project off to someone who will do a markedly better job than I could - that is money well spent. I DO have a problem giving it to someone who will charge more than I will and end up doing a subpar job.
Old 09-05-2003, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Because there is a trend of some engineers thinking mastering is a unneeded step in the scheme of the project.
I also want to address this ridiculous inference that I'm somehow in the above school of thought.

Mastering is an extremely vital final step in the creative process of album production. What I have tried to communicate in this thread is that mastering is NOT a magic bullet that will turn a poorly written/arranged/recorded/mixed project into pro-quality material. As such, money/budget/time should proportionately be spent on all aspects of the production to achieve the best possible result AT EACH STAGE - NOT JUST MASTERING. This is all I'm trying to say. I'm NOT saying that one shouldn't master their projects.
Just wanted to clear that up.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:00 AM

Whoah!! ...it seems a fight has broken out in my thread, if not yet a brawl...

Damn, here I was hoping that you were all going to say "oh yeah, with the right software you can just about do it all these days - and for a mere $500 dollars..." I guess that was wish-think. Y'all seem to think that pros are the way to go. Well, thanks for all the feed back!!

On that note, anybody know of some reasonably priced, high quality pros in the NYC area who they'd like to recommend?

and P.S. Anyone have any experience mastering at The Lodge, NYC?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:15 AM

What do YOU mean by reasonably priced? What's your budget? That will help folks make meaningful recommendations. BTW, "NYC reasonable" may be VERY different than "not-NYC reasonable", but if you live there you already know that!

The Lodge? No personal experience but I've only heard good things.

Damon
Old 09-09-2003, 10:45 AM

oybunny, hey-- go to Valves site and listen to a few of those mp3's!!!!!!
Mastering is what HE DOES. If you hear something you like ask him about mastering your stuff. You keep ...excuse my language....d*cking around looking for the lowest prices, your material will be really old to you guys by the time it's packaged.

Just from browsing Valves site, looks like you could either get Waves Platinum package and go thru a learning trial period(could be a loooong time). Or go to him and let him do it! Might save you some dough!
Or.......get a loan...............I heard Andy (Wallace) is out there in New York!!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:29 PM

Oybunny,

Did you download the Waves Masters suite and give it a try??

People master their own stuff and do a fine job but it takes as much time to learn to do a good job mastering as it does to learn to record and mix, at least. It all depends on your ears and room, the software will do a good job if you can use it properly.

Good Luck,

Jason