Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Digi001, Lucid A/D, FMR RNP, FMR RNC...for your review

Congrats on the RNC, I would love to hear it in action! I've been wanting to try mine on a stereo mixdown, as well...

As far as your next purchase, I don't think I can be of much help, because I don't really know your needs (I think I would have started with the converter, myself). For me, the two-channel front end upgrade was just the ticket (Lucid, RNP, RNC). Didn't you mention you were a drummer? More I/O may be a priority then, so a combo pre-amp/converter unit may be appropriate for you...just make sure it really is a step up from the 001, which might cost you a bit more. If you do want to skimp a bit on cost, check out the Octopre or the Digimax....I've heard good things about both these units (but have never tried them myself).

Holler!
Old 01-04-2003, 08:52 PM

Quote:
If you do want to skimp a bit on cost, check out the Octopre or the Digimax....I've heard good things about both these units (but have never tried them myself).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i have. they're a waste of $. they're all about marketing & advantageously placed reviews, not about what's inside them. keep in mind, some of the all-time great drum trax in times past were done with 4 mics or less. for 8 ch's of rather lack-lustre converters & pre's, those 2 units aren't REALLY all that cheap. mighty's onto something VERY inventive (AND intuitive) with his rnp & lucid ad9624 (as a clock source) scenario! spend another $300-350 on lucid's genx-6 wordclock generator, & use THAT as your ad9624 & 001's clock source, & make do with the 001's pre's until you can afford a few more mic pre's that are actually worth your parting with more of your hard-earned cash. when you "UP"-grade, you really wanna try & make sure that that is, in fact, what you ARE doing. stop-gaps always wind up costing you more, in the end. i feel for ya!

ml
Old 01-05-2003, 10:15 AM

so your sayin, my ART Pro MPA (2pre's) my dbx 376 (1 mono pre) and my 001's (2 pre's) 5 total, clocked by the the Lucid (using the stereo ART with the Lucid for overheads), would fare better results for drums than purchasing a Digimax or Octopre for everything?

I realize my mic pre's arent the best!
Old 01-06-2003, 12:50 AM

Just use your best pres and converters for the overheads and use the Octopre/Digimax for the rest of the kit.

CL
Old 01-07-2003, 12:04 AM

Quote:
so your sayin, my ART Pro MPA (2pre's) my dbx 376 (1 mono pre) and my 001's (2 pre's) 5 total, clocked by the the Lucid (using the stereo ART with the Lucid for overheads), would fare better results for drums than purchasing a Digimax or Octopre for everything?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's all sbjective, so you're likely to get a wide variety of opinions...but depending on the drum sound you're going for, a Digimax or Octopre may be a better bet. The Digimax LT is relatively inexpensive, and to my ears a big improvement over the 001's preamps and converters as well as the 376. I'd put it on about the same level as the Pro MPA, although it has a different sound to it. You could use it along with the Digimax LT, or even run it through two of the LT's inputs to take advantage of its better coverters.

Quote:
can you sync ptools via the spdif at the same time as you track through it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not only can you, but you have to...if you record via S/PDIF but don't sync to it, you'll get all kinds of clicks and pops (in a best-case scenario...sometimes it won't work at all).

Quote:
I still havent ruled out the mini-me for same price, I'm just not sure how its converters match up with the lucids
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The Mini-Me is a great little box...it's amazing what they've packed in there. Two very pristne preamps (not much character to them...but that's by design) and two channels of some of the best conversion out there...

Quote:
the Lucid only accepts word clock...it does not generate it
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's not quite right...it does generate word clock, it just doesn't have a dedicated word out. The word clock is generated, though, and transmitted along with your signal via S/PDIF.

-Duardo
Old 01-07-2003, 12:30 AM

the way i look at it, with a digimax or octopre, you're spending too much $ on average pre's & average converters. why would you want to do that? that's what you already have. using the lucid's converters & clocking the 001's to it as well IS giving you heaps better conversion quality. you pre's haven't gotten any better in this scenario, but at least you've drastically improved your converters. what option looks better to you?

ml
Old 01-07-2003, 12:43 AM

thanks for coming in here as well. I know I've beat this to death in 2 threads now. yall make a lot of sense.

this helps narrow it down. thank you
Old 01-07-2003, 01:00 AM

Quote:
you pre's haven't gotten any better in this scenario, but at least you've drastically improved your converters. what option looks better to you
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think it depends...I don't disagree that the Lucid/RNP combination will sound better than the Digimax or Octopre, but I disagree that they're not an improvement over the 001's preamps and converters...I find both to sound significantly better, and if you're close-miking a drumset, or recording several musicians at once, more may be a better investment than less that are another notch up in quality (and in the case of the Digimax LT we're talking significantly less money as well). Even if you did upgrade to a higher-end two-channel scenario down the line, you can still get good use out of your eight-channel box.

I guess one of the most important things would be to make sure you can take it back if you don't like it...who knows, you may not like either, or you may love both.

-Duardo