Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Pro Tools essentials - what do you recommend?

Hi Guys
I'm getting a digi002 rack/command8/dv toolkit on monday to go with fcp hd on a g5 dual 2ghz/2.5gb ram/23" cinema display system.
It's mainly going to be used for audio sweetening and soundtracks for short films, maybe some music composition.
Are there any "must have" plugins and/or sample libraries i should be looking at? If I want to do film scoring and audio sweetening, what are the essentials?
thanks in advance!

Lucas Young
Old 07-16-2004, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools essentials - what do you recommend?

Just hire a guy like me to do your audio post. It is more than just using the right plug-in. It is knowing (hearing) what it needs (what it needs to become) and how to get it there. The "must have" is the ear and experience to capture on location and make it right in the mix. The plug-ins don't sweeten. I sweeten.
I'm serious. If you want to get a hold of me, let me know and I'll email you. I took my email out of my profile (for spam reasons, BTW no more spam)
Cut to frame in FCP, choose your music etc. Export an OMF with handles. Have a guy like myself do the sweeting, foley, and mixing, reattach the mix and lay it back through the 002.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:45 PM

lol hey I want to become a guy like you - in the past ive taken OMFs from FCP to a guy to do a mix on in pro tools but I want to learn to do this stuff myself - I like being self-sufficient. as well as good sample libraries (I'm looking at the garritan personal orchestra at the moment) and plugins I guess I'm keen for resources and tutorials on good sound finishing techniques and so on.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:57 PM

I wasn't trying to make myself out be "cool" or anything like that.
It has just been a personal issue with me and my investment in my studio (PT HD Accel and all that goes with it) to do audio post.
But it's true. The plugs don't sweeten. I do. If you are an audio guy than you will do fine. Start w/ something like Waves Gold. Waves, now there's a fire storm this week. But if you are a video guy, than let the audio pros do it. It is nothing to get offended about. Just my opinion. And I sign my name to every post. You can laugh all you want as long as your check clears.
As for finishing techniques etc. do some searching in the Post forum. There are some very knowledgeable people there.