Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 08:20 AM

Default question about EQ and limiting

Hi Duc'ers,
I posted about this a little while ago and got some interesting feedback, but I'm going to throw the hook out there again with a bit more information in hopes that I can actually figure out exactly what's going on...

I have a mix for which I would like to raise the overall level. In my "mastering" session, I used the Massey 2007 limiter to do the job. It is a somewhat dynamic mix, and all i really want to do is raise the level so that the peaks fall just under 0 (-1.5 db or so). I really do not want to compress or limit the dynamic range.

The problem is this- I can get the level up, and on my speakers (all of them) it sounds great, but when I listen back on my iPod, I get some crackly distortion when the bass comes in.

Should I just lop off the low bass in the mix, at around 40 Hz or so? The bass instrument part (which has all the low frequencies) in this project comes and goes, and is not playing all the time. It's really important to me that when it comes in, you really be able to "feel" it, so I'm hesitant to just cut all of that low goodness out, especially since it sounds great until I listen on my Pod...

I A/B'd against some other mixes, and am convinced that I can get that super full, bassy sound without sacrificing my overall levels, I'm just not quite sure what to do. I'm guessing that there are some frequencies in there that are just eating up either the headroom in the iPod's D/A converters or the small headphones are incapable of handling thos frequencies.

Do any of you have any suggestions on what kind of EQ (or compression) surgery I should perform? I should say that at this point I am more concerned with figuring out why I have this distortion than I am with raising the levels!

Thanks as always for any advice...

Cheers,
Andrew
Old 04-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Default Re: question about EQ and limiting

When you mixed the track what was your monitor setup, are you actually using monitors?

Cheers
Old 04-14-2007, 11:41 AM

hi Dougfather,
Thanks for the reply- I monitor through a pair of Genelec 1031 A's and a pair of inexpensive KEF bookshelf stereo speakers for a second opinion. i also do listening from time to time on my AKG 240 headphones. I use the latter mostly for editing and/or zooming on little details, but in the process I often get enough info to make a third evaluation of what's going on in the mix...

Best,
Andrew
Old 04-14-2007, 12:31 PM

Does the 'crackly distortion' persist when the iPod itself is turned down?

Yes, it might help to roll off the low-lows (maybe 35 Hz). An EQ III plug set to HPF (with a 24db/Oct slope) will do this nicely, and it's not likely you'll hear a big difference. If you lose some "energy", then boost broadly around 55Hz to regain that "thump". You could insert the HPF directly on the offending track(s), or over the mix buss prior to the limiter.

Bear in mind that if you decide you do want to limit the whole mix harder (without compromising the transitions from the quiet moments), you can always automate the level of the master fader (i.e. have the master fader drop by a few dBs at the quiet moments, and then return to zero for the loud ones).
Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Hi Naagzh,
Yes, the problem goes away when i turn the volume on the iPod down. i'll try cutting out some of the super low stuff and see if that helps... Thanks again for the replies...

Best,
Andrew
Old 04-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Make sure the bass boost or any eq is disabled in the ipod too. The onboard eq adds distortion!

[SIZE="1"]Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Acer B326HUL 32" 2560 X 1440, VIZIO video monitor
Mojave 10.114.6, Pro Tools 20.3.0.163
Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt), MOTU 2408 MkII (x2), MOTU MTP AV USB (x2)
Old 04-15-2007, 08:26 AM

Hi Tim,
Yes, I have played with the bass boost on the iPod, but rarely does this setting ever make something unlistenable when it's on, as in my particular case! While i usually check with it off, I always try and make it so that if I turn it on, it doesn't distort or the bass doesn't become too overwhelming...

Cheers,
Andrew