Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 AM

Default What kind of iPad do I need to run PT App?

Really obvious question, I'm sure. But very frustrating trying to find the answer through the usual channels.

I'm a 100% lifetime PC user. So, I don't know anything about Apple products, other than their names.

I'm considering swapping out my Artist MC for a Dock. But that requires an iPad. Since I'm ONLY ever going to use this iPad as the screen for this dock, I don't want to overspend buying features I won't need. I'm looking exclusively at used and/or refurbished iPads.

What do I need to run the PT App? Will this work?
https://walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPad-Ai...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM

Default Re: What kind of iPad do I need to run PT App?

I would look at a used iPad 4 retina around 150-250 USD or a new 11" iPad that looked like it was $329 in your posted link.

This one here : https://www.walmart.com/ip/Apple-iPa...b7&athena=true

I think an iPad Mini (any model) won't fit properly But I could be wrong there as I heard there are fit pieces around from Avid but not sure it is for the iPad Mini though. Have to check that if needed. Would want a bigger screen imho like 9.7 diagonal to see properly.

No need for the best but as the iPad CPU is used for the App, NOT the DOCK itself I would make sure that the iPad is atleast from 2015-2016 so you don't buy something that doesn't vibe nicely with the Avid Control App.

A sidenote I know a few who use iPad 2 and 3 models with the Control App but can't say for sure how well that work. I have seen Albee and a few moderators who use a bit older versions for the App but seeing it needs to fit into the DOCK I would look at a normal size iPad retina eityer used or new. If money is a factor here get a used one on Craigslist and for around 200-250 usd You get a perfect newer iPad that has the specs to run the Control app for a while to come

Let us know if you need more specific imfo with links etc.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-19-2018, 11:53 AM

Before I bought the Dock, I borrowed an iPad mini 2 and ran PT Control on it. Worked really well. The iPad mini 2 is also an A7 chip and a 2013 release, just like the iPad Air you're looking at, so my guess is that it would be fine. Leave room in your budget to experiment with a dedicated Airport Express or the Lightning/USB/ethernet adapter kit. PT|Control puts a lot of data on a LAN, so sometimes its nice to run it on an isolated (off internet) network.

Full disclosure, I use an iPad Pro 9.7 (2016 release) which is probably overkill.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks a lot! I'm not actually interested in the mini. I just picked that link to show the specs, which is my concern. I would prefer the 12" model. But everyone said it won't fit. So I assumed I'll have to stay with 9". What I'd like is the largest screen possible, that fully supports the PT App. and WILL FIT IN THE DOCK.

What are your suggestions?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:44 PM

What I meant was that the mini I tried has the same chip as the 9.7 inch one you're looking at (A7). So it'll work. The PT Control iOS app is not a high-CPU thing. Most of the work is being done by the computer.

My recommendation is to get the newest 9.7 inch iPad possible. But since the 2013 models run the app fine, don't sweat it if you don't want to spend on the 2017 model.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:48 PM

And yes, regarding size, the 9.7" models fit best. I think somewhere on this list someone is jamming the new 10.5" model into the Dock. Not worth the hassle IMO. 12" doesn't fit, and mini looks silly.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:53 PM

I'm using an old ipad2 with no problems.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:32 PM

What about horsepower, 32gb 128gb, how much is enough? Does it matter?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM

storage doesn't matter. It doesn't really use any (other than the app size).

Something that is useful is using it wired which needs both the Apple camera connection kit and apple ethernet dongle (must be both -- must be the normal 10/100 usb2 and not the gigabit ethernet dongle which is usb3.) Metering and timecode/counter improves immediately. I also would sometimes have disconnection during heavy automation on wireless but no issues once wired (but that may have been something that has been fixed since)
Pro Tools Ult 2024.3.1, HDX 2, MTRX/SPQ, RME BBF Pro + MADIface Pro • S1 x 2, Fire Max11 x 2, Dock, iPad Air5 • Mac Mini 14,12, 12 core, macOS 13.6.6 • RAM 32GB, SSD 4TB, GPU 19 core • QNAP TVS-872XT 148TB TB3
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
storage doesn't matter. It doesn't really use any (other than the app size).

Something that is useful is using it wired which needs both the Apple camera connection kit and apple ethernet dongle (must be both -- must be the normal 10/100 usb2 and not the gigabit ethernet dongle which is usb3.) Metering and timecode/counter improves immediately. I also would sometimes have disconnection during heavy automation on wireless but no issues once wired (but that may have been something that has been fixed since)
Is that all available on the used market as well, or, if necessary, can I still get that stuff at the Apple store?