Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 07-31-2017, 12:12 PM

Default HD Native + HD Omni + SSL Delta-Link + SSL Alpha-Links (Solved)

Need specific help on this system setup where everything works great except adding the HD Omni to the party.

The setup is an HD Native card connected to 2x SSL Alpha-Links through an SSL Delta-Link using ProTools 12 and Cubase 8.5. This setup seems to work flawlessly so far.

The only issue I have is with the HD Omni.

Since the Delta-Link does not have Expansion ports, my only option is to put the Omni first on Port 1 on the HD Native card and use the Expansion port on the Omni going in to one port on the Delta-Link. But the Delta-Link which emulates 192 interfaces does not show up in the configurations. Only the HD Omni connected to Port 1 and one port of the Delta-Link connected to Port 2 on the HD Native.

I've found information stating that people have trouble adding a 192 interface to an HD Omni and other people are saying it works great, so any help or insight anyone can give on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT:
This was due to the DigiLink License not yet having been implemented. With the DigiLink license in place, everything worked well.

Last edited by Plec; 08-05-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:22 PM

Default Re: HD Native + HD Omni + SSL Delta-Link + SSL Alpha-Links

How well do the SSLs work with PT 12.8? I hear they have clocking issues but I can't find anything on the SSL website about that. How do you clock them? Do you use a sync HD?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-05-2017, 05:20 AM

Hey!

They work perfectly here. I hear people who've had issues with earlier versions of these converters but I've had these for 6 years now without a single issue.

I'm clocking the entire system with an Antelope IsoChrone.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec View Post
Hey!

They work perfectly here. I hear people who've had issues with earlier versions of these converters but I've had these for 6 years now without a single issue.

I'm clocking the entire system with an Antelope IsoChrone.
Thank so much for the help! I am going to have to buy 4 madi ios and if I can go ssl I can save a ton of money.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-05-2017, 02:41 PM

I have never touched a DeltaLink but why do you think this will work? The DeltaLink is emulating 2 x 192 IO, so a full Digilink connection worth. Can you disable one of the 192 IO being emulated? (I'm not talking about the Avid IO setup in Pro Tool, but in the DeltaLink box to control what is physically talking on the Digilink cable).
Old 08-05-2017, 03:38 PM

Well actually it emulates 4 x 192 I/O. When you set an Omni in the chain what happens is that when you connect something like the DigiLink or even HD MADI on the expansion port of this, you can only get 16ch from the expanded interface.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec View Post
Well actually it emulates 4 x 192 I/O. When you set an Omni in the chain what happens is that when you connect something like the DigiLink or even HD MADI on the expansion port of this, you can only get 16ch from the expanded interface.
2 x 192 IO per Digilink, which is what I'm talking about and all Pro Tools sees and knows about.

Then sounds like is working. You want to do more you need more Digilink connectivity and use the ports as documented.

Digilink is dumb as a rock, you can't just connect stuff up and hope to use odd size combinations of IO ports. If it works at all I sure expect the Omni to wipe off one virtual 192 IO worth of IO, but it also may not work at all (but sounds like it does).
Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 AM

HDX + Deltalink and Alphalink works very well for me !
Win 10 Pro + HDX + Akitio Thunderbolt 3 Chassis + Razer Blade laptop + 1 Deltalink + 1 Alphalink MADI AX