Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2001, 06:42 AM

Default Just planting seeds...

Here's a thought - if Waves managed to make their Direct X plugins usable in PTLE with a Waveshell for RTAS (now included with 3.2), does this not mean that, hypothetically, other DX plugins could also be used in PTLE in conjunction with some clever DX-RTAS adapter??

And if someone were to succeed in writing such an adapter, would this pave the way for the likes of the Bombfactory plugs to be used in, say, Logic??

Just a thought...

Frank.
Old 08-17-2001, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Just planting seeds...

Perhaps,
But, I suspect DIGIDESIGN has such a tight grip on RTAS licensing and source coding information, it is very difficult for "smaller" plugin manufacturers to make such plugins. Waves is the exception due the high demand of their products. They can afford it. And as far as program writing, I don't think it would be that difficult. Wave 3.2 was not in the BETA stage very long.
Personally, I have always had my reservations about anything with the last words "adaptor". Hardware or software. I personally would prefer to have a plugin that would allow me three install versions on three platforms. RTAS, VST and DX.
I too dream of a land where plugins roam free from program to program.
Hopefully that day will be soon.
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2+2=5