Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2023, 10:41 PM

Default Marker behavior broken in 2023.6

I have been using templates with pre-named markers for various tasks for decades. One of the essential features I've relied on is the ability to control-click on a marker in the marker window and change its time location.

I cannot emphasize enough how strongly I dislike the removal of the option to click on the memory locate window to edit the time position of a marker. Trying to zoom in and mark a sample has become impossible. Now, I am required to be zoomed out far enough to see the marker I want to use. Since I have templates with named markers for specific tasks, if I have to name them every time or constantly zoom out to find what I'm looking for, my workday significantly lengthens. Not to mention the added frustration.

Another missing feature is the ability to use a predefined marker on the fly. For instance, when listening to a song and wanting to mark something while it's playing, I used to be able to option-click on the desired memory locate point. Unfortunately, that functionality has been removed. Therefore, I kindly request that you reinstate this essential functionality.

Last edited by Kevin Nettleingham; 06-29-2023 at 10:44 PM. Reason: posted prematurely
Old 06-30-2023, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Marker behavior broken in 2023.6

I might be misunderstanding your workflow, but here are 2 suggestions:

1. Select a marker. In the Marker Timeline at the top of the Edit Window drop your cursor at the new desired location of that selected marker. Then Control + Click on that selected marker in the Marker Timeline and the marker will zip over to the new location. This is not new behavior to 2023.6. This has worked for years. I use it all the time for for spotting clips the exact same way.

2. Let's say the marker you wish to relocate is # 99 in the Marker Window. Drop your cursor at the new desired location of that selected marker. On the numeric keypad hit 9 + 9 + Enter + Enter. The marker will then move to the new/current cursor location. Please note that this requires that your Numeric Keyboard Preferences (Operation tab) be set to Classic (not Transport nor Shuttle).

I have tested both of these on my Mac Pro running macOS Monterey running PT 2023.6.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:13 AM

Thank you for the reply!

I appreciate the different ways to do the function.

#1 as I mentioned in my post doesn't work for because I am unable to see the markers in the timeline to elect them for the timeline change.

#2 is a heck of a lot of entires to do what I used to be able to do in two clicks.

Place your cursor in a new location and then control click on a saved location marker in the marker window. An edit window appears that suggests that the time properties will change once you lick OK. This is the old behavior that I want back. Currently if you do that, nothing happens. I believe they accidentally broke this function when they updated the markers in the new version.

I would love for Avid to chime in here
Old 06-30-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Nettleingham View Post
#1 as I mentioned in my post doesn't work for because I am unable to see the markers in the timeline to elect them for the timeline change.
Why are you unable to see the Markers Timeline at the top of the Edit Window? You simply need to make that lane visible. See attached Screen Shot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 12.25.43 PM.png (21.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:49 AM

Sorry I didn't explain that very well. I can see them but not when I'm zoomed really tight. If I'm zoomed out, they are there as expected but in order to use method #1 you have to be zoomed out far enough to see the markers you want to move.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:02 AM

I was having the same issue. I actually posted my own thread but I wanted to share what I learned from AVIDs support with you here. It seems this is an intended change to the marker behavior in 2023.6 and not a bug. So…
Old 07-02-2023, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply! I'd sure like to hear from Avid what is so great about this change. It crippled markers for my workflow. I would really like that functionality back.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I'd sure like to hear from Avid what is so great about this change. It crippled markers for my workflow. I would really like that functionality back.
Hi Kevin

I’ll ask the team on this and get back to you all on this

Thank you
-Tope

To create a support case with Avid Support, go to https://www.avid.com/learn-and-suppo...-music-support

www.topedomingo.com
Old 07-04-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
From what I can tell in my interaction with Avid the change is due to the updated markers features in 23.6. So while it did cripple both of our workflows it did bring much needed improvements to markers. I know I will use the new features. I do agree with you though, that I wish that we had retained the functionality of control clicking in the marker windows to spot markers to the play head. Or at least retained an option to do so while forgoing some of the new functionality.
Old 07-04-2023, 10:16 AM

I don't know... I'm really struggling with this feature omission. It makes the interface clunky and nearly unusable compared to how I could fly through marker edits previously. Please, pretty please put the old functionality back.

Last edited by Kevin Nettleingham; 07-04-2023 at 10:16 AM. Reason: misspelled word