Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Default Need some help with new setup... something doesn't seem right...

Hello -

Wondered if someone can help with the following:

Just installed Pro Tools 9 on a new Mac. I've got an M-Audio Oxygen 88 MIDI keyboard plugged in, and figured I'd give it a test drive on Xpand2. Everything installed great, and everything is "playable."

(As an aside, I'm totally new to virtual synths. I've used a Yamaha P-80 and an Alesis QS-8 keyboard for years. I know and like what both feel like sound-wise).

I've tried a bunch of different patches, and I'm noticing something about every single one of them. They all seem to have a low dynamic range "velocity-wise." I.e., the softest notes are just not "soft" enough, and the loud notes don't seem to be quite loud enough. It's as if I'm not getting the whole 127-note "juice" out of it. The sounds do not feel like they do from a the hardware keyboards mentioned above. I'm getting *some* range out of it, but it seems like about 70% of the hardware synth's range mentioned above.

I've tried messing with the attack/release, and there are some changes, but not really happening. I just can't get the expression I want from it.

I really don't know what to do. It's getting me a little worried, as I just spent a load on this setup, and was expecting at least the same type of feedback from this new setup that I've experienced with hardware synths. I've encountered this kind of feeling before on cheap synthesizers with cheap patches.

Can anyone tell me, is this to be expected with this setup? Is it the MIDI controller? Is it some configuration issue? Is there any way to fix this? :)

Any help would be appreciated.

RB
Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Need some help with new setup... something doesn't seem right...

Correction: that should be "...the whole 127-level "juice" out of it"
Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM

Doing a little more reading, I'm thinking this might have to do with this keyboard not having aftertouch. I didn't realize this keyboard didn't have this. It's the feel of the keys that isn't right. Anyone concur? :)
Old 09-25-2011, 06:42 PM

Aftertouch is really just a way to control additional parameters besides velocity, so a lack of that will affect the potential control over a given patch, but would not necessarily cause the symptom you are describing.

Record your self playing a patch that has the problem and then look at the velocity values on MIDI note list view. If the velocities are not getting all the way to 127 or are not registering just above 0 then my suspicion is that the controller's velocity curves are restricting the MIDI note velocity output.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:16 PM

As far as aftertouch goes, for some reason, Pro Tools is defaulted to filtering aftertouch MIDI data at the input. Check Setup>MIDI>Input Filter.

Of course, the VI you play must support aftertouch.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
As far as aftertouch goes, for some reason, Pro Tools is defaulted to filtering aftertouch MIDI data at the input. Check Setup>MIDI>Input Filter.

So I disable the Input filter and I should get the data for aftertouch...???
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
then my suspicion is that the controller's velocity curves are restricting the MIDI note velocity output.
+1
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.