Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2011, 12:19 AM

Default My Mac and PC can Share MC Control!

I nearly sold my 13 inch 2010 macbookpro the other day as it wasn't working out so hott as my primary pro tools rig ... toggling between inputs on my external monitor to get between my pc and extended MAC display was getting annoying with the HDMI Audio activating at each toggle, and the built in screen is just too small when dealing with a hundred clips as i mainly record vocal sessions. That and it was not really a heavy hitter for bigger protools sessions with instruments and plenty of plugins.. it runs with low enuff cpu usage but every so often a random cpu error would pop for no big reason (like tweaking a knob too much or changing a preset).... all of that aside, its a fantasic computer and works flawlessly with Logic and my apogee duet. So it stays, basically ill keep it for all the extras and instruments that i can slap together in logic, to bounce as seperate audiofiles to mix/re-arrange/enhance/and voice with my Windows 7 Protools 9 rig (on a core2quad desktop with a RME fireface UC, and a dual monitor setup with BIGGER SCREENS! )

I just upgraded to windows 7 from vista64 last week and its working out very well so far. The EuControl software as been working every bit as well on the PC side as on the mac. actually i have yet to see any glitches on the PC side, over the last couple months with it hooked directly to my mac it wasn't perfect, but usually was working pretty good too.

Enuff background already..I don't know if anyone else is having success with this, but i hooked up the mac, pc, and mc control to a simple network switch, and a new world of goodness opened up! the EuControl software allowed me to flip between the two workstations for the control surface AND for mouse and keyboard!!! THIS IS BIG for me! (and yet another bonus of modern OS's, i was also able to connect to the windows 7 hard drive with absolutely no tweaking of the default network settings for either mac or pc.. so transferring data is going to be a snap... i am not using a DHCP server!!)

i have been endlessly trying to find a way to share desk re-estate between my cool but slightly annoying magic mouse and bluetooth keyboard (no number pad booo!) and my fullsized PC keyboard with a"normal" mouse. I have the MBP up on a laptop stand about a foot too far away to type on the keyboard comfortably from my producers chair (between me and the mbp is the mc control and the pc keyboard) NOW that i can flip between keyboard and controller mapped to either computer it solves a lot of my setup issues. REALLY

I always knew the controller could toggle between "MACS" but now its possible to interact with windows 7 the same way! Thank goodness too, because i would go completely broke(r) buying a MacPro desktop with the same performance and storage i have sitting on the windows side.. Im pretty excited to get back to finding creative ideas in logic ( at this point its my only real reason to keep the MBP) and i look forward to filling up and mixing a terabyte of pro tools sessions on my windows 7 box with the MC control! And now i finally get a numberpad for my MAC (thanks to my beat up old pc keyboard!)

Just thought i would share, sorry for putting it into so many words!