Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM

Default Oh no! incorrect sample rate (clock prob)

Ok, I've screwed this up I know. But hopefully someone can help!

Just finished a six hour VO session only to find that my DAT machine was still set as the external sync (from a previous job). It was set at 44.1K and my VO session was at 48k.

So everything sounds great - and then I turn off the DAT machine and, after saying it has lost sync, (and I get an ill feeling in my stomach) all the voices sound too high. I don't think they are playing quicker - just at a higher pitch.

It'll only play properly with the DAT machine on. But if I do a bounce the voices are too high even with the DAT sync.

Pitch 'n Time? if so, by how much? Anything else? A magic fix?

cheers
-AM
Old 02-19-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Oh no! incorrect sample rate (clock prob)

This has been adressed many times, and I seem to remember a thread a few weeks back that should not be to hard to find withe the search function
Usually this happens in studios with a central wordclock generator.
good luck
Pro Tools Ultimate & Carbon
M2 Max Studio
Old 02-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Tough situation... I've always been told to bounce the tracks to another source and then re-record at the correct sample rate. And yes, that can be very tedious. Check that clock!
Old 02-19-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Ok, I've screwed this up I know. But hopefully someone can help!

Just finished a six hour VO session only to find that my DAT machine was still set as the external sync (from a previous job). It was set at 44.1K and my VO session was at 48k.

So everything sounds great - and then I turn off the DAT machine and, after saying it has lost sync, (and I get an ill feeling in my stomach) all the voices sound too high. I don't think they are playing quicker - just at a higher pitch.

It'll only play properly with the DAT machine on. But if I do a bounce the voices are too high even with the DAT sync.

Pitch 'n Time? if so, by how much? Anything else? A magic fix?

cheers
-AM
Record to an external recorder using analogue outputs to analogue inputs! A CD recorder if possible then drag the files back into PT to edit etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:00 PM

Thanks for your quick replies everyone. (I did a search first but must have missed that earlier thread)

External analog. Yep that does make sense. Might have to use a portable DAT (oh the irony!) - no sync of course...

My condolences to anyone else who has had this happen. (A plug-in for this would be kinda cool)

Cheers
-AM
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your quick replies everyone. (I did a search first but must have missed that earlier thread)

External analog. Yep that does make sense. Might have to use a portable DAT (oh the irony!) - no sync of course...

My condolences to anyone else who has had this happen. (A plug-in for this would be kinda cool)

Cheers
-AM
you don't neede to do this. it is quite simple really.

get SOUNDHACK, you can change the file header.

or

create a new 48k session. import the track from the OLD BAD SESSION, and apply SRC, BUT tell, PT that the source is 44.1 and convert it to 48. then you are good to go.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
-AM
you don't neede to do this. it is quite simple really.

get SOUNDHACK, you can change the file header.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you can also do this right from the ol' Workspace Browser.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Rob, yes, if they are BWF files.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Oh the joys of external clocking.

The tag data can be changed in the workspace file. You set the the sample rate to what the clock was set to, and then either have a new session at the sample rate that the external clock was set to, or apply sample rate conversion.

OR

Create a new session, import session data, apply sample rate conversion, and set the original sample rate, to what the external clock was set to. This will force the audio regions to be sample rate converted.

I don't know how many times I've wished external clocks had a usb connector for auto switching the sample rate with PT. This would be a huge add on for the Big Ben.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:43 PM

This worked great - and is MUCH quicker than capturing in analog again. Whew, am saved!

Thanks to all for ya help.
-AM