Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Ran Out of CPU (conventional fix did not help)

Hey guys,

I used to use Pro Tools a lot and I remember it had its quirks on Windows, but recently I have had to return to using it for a studio collab and I don't think I'd ever had this much trouble fixing an error.

The error message is the standard, run of the mill "Pro Tools ran out of CPU power, try deactivating or removing Native Plugins," except even when I removed all plugins and the click track, as an empty project the error still happened. My project worked fine until this happened and now I can't get it to work. Once the file "breaks," the file(and associated backup files) never works again, and it can't close without force quitting from the task manager. If I bounce all the midi and reload every Virtual Instrument in a new project it works...but eventually the new project will "break" too. Why? In the System Usage window the CPU is sitting consistently at a comfy 15%, RAM never tops 45%.

I used the Trasher app for prefs. I'm on a Surfacebook 2 with Windows 10, 16GB i7 processor. I've optimized my drives and power settings, always run without virus protection, I use a Mackie onyx interface and in the project I'm using Kontakt, PLAY and iZotope plugins. It's ProTools Ultimate, currently in the free trial period.

I was using Nuendo and Studio One up until now. My hard disk is at about 80% capacity (SSD)

I've been scouring the internet for clues...Am I missing something?

Last edited by Keidiek; 04-27-2019 at 10:33 AM.