Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 02:32 AM

Default Getting a Laptop (Need advice)

Hello,
I'm getting a laptop early next year in the States (probably). I have a 002 Rack. I have to ask the age old question, Mac or PC? Any particular model/caracteristics? Thanks for the help!

I've seen the recommendations indicated. Thanks! I'm still not sure which will be the best performer and the most stable. How does the 17" Powerbook compare to top of the line PC Laptops (like Pentium 4 3,06 GHz)? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-21-2003, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Getting a Laptop (Need advice)

well, first, the 3.0 GHz and 3.2 GHz Pentium 4's will both outperform the older 3.06 GHz models. It's a long story, but just trust me on that one.

Second, as you can see in the laptop thread (search for "laptop"), you'll see that many members are getting wonderful results with laptops based on Intel's Centrino package. With a laptop like that, you can get 32 tracks plus a good handful of aux tracks all running at once, with 5 plugins on each track. In other words, all the speed you could want.

In comparison, the Macs will probably cost more than twice the money for speed which at best might be comparable to the Centrino or high-end P4's. Judging from what I read in the Mac forum, the PC options will crush the G4's. I'm reading posts where people with 867 MHz G4's can't even run 30 tracks with a couple plugins each. So unless you really can't stand PC's, there is no reason to get a Mac other than to look cool. Make sure you get a laptop with an Intel chipset though, as SiS chipsets will NOT work with Pro Tools. Then spend the money you save on other recording gear!