Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-02-2005, 11:42 AM

Default OT: Studio marketing ideas

I run a small project studio and am looking to attract new clients. Though word-of-mouth is the best, I'm looking into other options. I know it largely depends on location, but I was hoping to get some input as to how the rest of you folks are having success marketing your room. I do get some clients from Craig's List (which is free) and also advertise in some smaller local music zines. Was considering using the paid Google service. If anyone can share some marketing ideas that would be great.

www.phuturetrax.com
Old 03-02-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: OT: Studio marketing ideas

One place to start is defining who your target clients are. Do you specialize in one style/genre of music (example: hip hop, folk, etc.)? If you do, then find clubs, places where people who do this kind of music are and get in touch with those people. If not, then try to get a dialogue going with clubs in general. Most musicians who are in need of recording services are usually still perfecting their craft in the clubs.

Word of mouth has changed a lot in the last 5 years... get online to web based communities such as this one, and try to find something that may be more narrowed to your area. Craigslist is a great place to start. Try to connect the dots between the people on their and where they are in your actual community. The one advantage for project studios is that they usually offer a more personal approach to recording... those relationships you build with the music community is ultimately what will spread this word of mouth and hopefully bring you business.

Just a few things to start of with...

matt
Old 03-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Where does one find Craigs List?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:20 PM

its a interweb site. www.craigslist.org or is it dot com? i dont know. Google it.

go left next time
Old 03-02-2005, 01:30 PM

Dopamine,
I found that business cards at the local shops as well as say Coffee shops or other small venues (Music that you would want to track) worked well for me. Just kinda leave them around to be found thing. I also found a local website that had all the recording studios. (www.dcpages.com) and it then had a search tool for studios. I get a lot of hits from there. The word of mouth is truely the best part though. Build a website too and add that to your card.

Good luck,

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to take the advice and put my cards around town and also hit up some local clubs (unfortunately there are not many live venues around here). I just got my website finished, so hopefully that will attract some clients as well. Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:27 PM

Craigslist for Miami FL