Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 PM

Default PreSonus Firebox issues with Pro Tools 10

I just picked up Pro Tools 10 and I can't figure out how to get it to work with my Presonus Firebox. When I try to open Pro Tools it comes up with an error message saying that my "audio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size," and then it tells me to change it in the device control panel. I know that you can't do that with the Firebox.

I've seen that some people have been able to make it work with ASIO4ALL, but I haven't been able to figure that out or seen any instructions on how to make that work. It also does not seem like it works very well, so if the Firebox would actually work with Pro Tools, that would be ideal.

I'm on a desktop running Windows 7, 64-bit.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Default Re: PreSonus Firebox issues with Pro Tools 10

Hi, I got the same issue.

I can use the asio4all driver but not the firebox original driver.
Did you manage to resolve it ?
Old 11-13-2013, 04:21 PM

Sometimes there is a mismatch of allowed buffer sizes between an audio driver and an application.

In this case, you should check your Presonus driver control panel and see if the buffer size is something other than 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, or 2048.

For example, if your control panel was set with a 320 sample buffer, that would conflict with Pro Tools. Set it to 256 instead, and try again. If your Firebox is being used by another application (or if it is set as the Windows system default sound device) then it's possible that the driver has been "taken over" already, and Pro Tools can't take control.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 PM

thanks for your help but i tried with the firebox unplugged and asio4alll, and pro tools 11 start but 10.3.7 just crash.

i uninstalled everything, delete folders in %program files% and %appdata% and reinstalled 10.3.7 but it keeps crashing the same way

I was hoping that 10.3.7 would work with the original firebox driver but it would'nt even launch.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawsig View Post
thanks for your help but i tried with the firebox unplugged and asio4alll, and pro tools 11 start but 10.3.7 just crash.

i uninstalled everything, delete folders in %program files% and %appdata% and reinstalled 10.3.7 but it keeps crashing the same way

I was hoping that 10.3.7 would work with the original firebox driver but it would'nt even launch.
Can we get a SANDRA report please?

Had you been using the FireBox successfully with other software? Have you tried any version of 10 other than 10.3.7?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 AM

Crash on startup Issue :
Managed to make it work.

So the problem was that pro tools 10 was using ASIO full duplex driver at startup.
By holding N at launching I change it to asio4all and it worked. but I have to do that every time i launch pro tools.

Firebox Issue :
But it doesn't with the Firebox ASIO driver, just display a message saying : "Your audio device is configured with an unsupported audio buffer size. Please select one of the following supported buffer sizes in the device control panel: 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048"
The driver of the firebox doesn't allow to change audio buffer size.

But on my Macbook with 10.5 the device is working with pro tools 10.
and with other daw on my windows machine...
But not with pro tools 11. Displays the same message.

Guess I'm going to need thet RME fireface sooner that I expected...

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Just perusing the Firebox manual, I'm not sure how outdated it is, but I think the Latency setting is essentially the buffer. Can you try a different setting there?

"Latency: – Sets the amount of delay time of your FIREBOX (1.5ms – 24ms). Latency is the time it takes for the computer to process audio. Lower latency settings demand more CPU resources. In the case of in consistent audio, (i.e. drop outs, pops andclicks, digital distortion, etc) we recommend that you increase this setting."

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 11-14-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
Just perusing the Firebox manual, I'm not sure how outdated it is"
I had a look as well. It's very strange that the buffer cannot be set explicitly.

What I did find is this: "You can “Right Click” on the FIREBOX control panel icon
to select between three different computer optimization settings. These settings optimize the buffers and audio streaming settings based on the speed of your processor. If you are experiencing audio drop outs, it is recommended that you select a lower CPU setting."

So if you right click on the control panel, you can select low, medium, or high... But it doesn't give any numbers.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM

I tried on another daw with lots of different latencies and samplerate, and audio buffer size was something like 176, 264, 384...etc. Strange values that seems not supported by Pro Tools.

But what is really strange, on my macbook, osx 10.6, Pro Tools 10.3.7, the device works perfectly !

Differences between ASIO and CoreAudio maybe...
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM

So, just to be clear, your Firebox should NOT be selected as the Windows default playback device or default recording device. Check out the Playback and Recording tabs in Control Panel> Sound