Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-05-2004, 02:03 PM

Default If you could write any style, what would it be...?

Ive been thinking about my musical evolution lately. A long time ago I started my interest in music with Pearl Jam. I bought the CD "VS"... Circa 1994. I loved it, to me there was nothing cooler than the guitar on Rear View Mirror. Then I bought my second CD ever, which was L*I*V*E Mental Jewely. It was a mistake, I meant to pick up Throwing Copper because of the recent radio hits(White, Discussion; Selling The Drama). Anyway, I loved Mental Jewelry despite my sadness of getting the wrong CD. It was truly inspiring to me, I was so amazed at how much power a CD of virtually all acoustic or very little electric guitar could have. Time went on, I bought every Pearl Jam CD, every LIVE CD, some other rock stuff, then I picked up Depeche Modes Ultra CD after hearing 'Useless" on the radio. It was around 1996 that I did this. I of course didnt even know who they were really, I knew they did Blasphemous Rumours, and that was about it. I wouldnt even have pegged them for 'Just Cant Get enough'. After buying this CD, I HAD to have everything they did. I was in for a surprise; they had been making music longer than I had been alive. So, naturally, I picked up everything they did, starting from 1980's Speak and Spell, all the way up to 1992's Songs of Faith and Devotion(Which is still on of my Favs). Then I got into more electronic music, it was a natural progression for me. I picked up really obscure stuff. I wasnt into the DJ scene where you have a beat and that it. I wanted stuff with lyrical substance, and beat. I bought some VNV Nation, some Covenant, some other stuff... Time went on, I started getting sick of the Kick-Snare-Kick-Snare routine. I wanted something different. So I got into Clan of Xymox, and Diary of Dreams. Stuff that is really deep to me, but also embraces the power of electronics and guitar. It was good. I liked it. The only think that bothered me was how most of everything still seemed to REALLY be tied to that metronome. So, I went on a search. I found Talk Talk's Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden's CDs. Very obscure stuff. Now I am back on the bandwagon of looking into older music that is really inspiring. At a suggestion from Mr. Roy Howell, I started listeing to The Church. Great Band. I also started listening to a bunch of other stuff, A-Ha, Talk Talk, NIN, Peter Gabrial...

anyway, the point is...

Im trying to define a style I would like to see myself capable of doing. I want arrangement. I love violins and strings, but I have really settled for now on the single violin idea. I would never want to have a song based on a violin, but only use it for a good instrument, much like a lead guitar. As far as drums go, Im open to those, but I want to see myself getting more into beats and breaks. Guitar, id like to incorporate and make important the presence of acoustic guitar. Electric guitar Id like to keep it simple, much like the violin, its there, but it doesnt hold the song together. Bass, I love incorporating real bass and a good synth bass. They go together well. Id like the real bass for more emotion, such as when a slide is absolutely necessary, the bumping of the frets as a slide from 5th fret up to 12th is required. What would the Psych Furs "Love my Way" be without the sliding bass..? Its that type of obscure emotion that only a bass can get.

And electronics.. not to many but necessary to fill in gabs..

you guys?

Anyway, thats it for me now
Old 05-05-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: If you could write any style, what would it be...?

I don't have a particular style I'd like to write in Captain, but reading your post got me reminiscing. I first got into the Church way back in '82 (boy that makes me feel old) with a album called the blurred crusade (when records were records and album artwork was just that art). Anyways, almost with you still remains an absolute favourite of mine with a guitar solo that still rates as one of the best i've heard (or should i say experienced, for the church is a band to be experienced not just listened too) I'm singing that solo as i'm writing this.

anyways enough of my dribbling.

Cheers

"The Scoob"
Old 05-05-2004, 06:33 PM

Of all the songs I wish I had written..'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' by E.H. Harburg and Harold Arlen is the one.May sound corny but it is true.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:47 PM

Hey Scoob, nice to see you. Ive been listening to the church now for about a year. And after about 3 months of deliberating, ive decided to do a cover of one of thier songs. It would be more of a direct cover than a version of it. But, still fun to play.

Anyway, I shoudl be done with it in a week or so.

=-Ben
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 PM

Id like to get into making my own sounds and samples, just to have that full authentic feel, so nobody can say ''He used my stuff to make his songs. Id like to make music where im not limited by barriers, Which is probably the main reason why I like Linkin Park. If they want they can have a song that all rock, all rap, or combined.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:08 AM

I personally wish I could write latin and Jazz, but I'm just not that creative.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:17 AM

1) Get musical gurus from every cultural background you can find in the world.

2) Dump me, with them, on a five star resort tropical island for one year. With all requests met re. food, drink and every personal request...

3) Give me unlimited budget for sound equipment, which, at then end of project i get to keep.

There's my style...

Old 05-06-2004, 02:01 AM

I'll alter the experiment a tad here.
I can't see myself doing only one style. My natural tendencies veer to soul-pop-rock-funk, but I wouldn't mind doing a salsa record or a hardcore techno-dance one.
I like too much stuff, and sometimes it's a problem. I get as much enjoyment from an old Clash record as I do from a Miles album, and it ranges from Crowded House to Joao Gilberto with Stevie Wonder and The Ramones in between.
So, I sometimes find it hard to keep things focused in one style when I'm writing.

Now the good part : I had this very same discussion with a good buddy who's been following my musical endeavours for just about as long as I've been doing it. He cleared it up nicely for me , when he said "What are you talking about ? I could pick one of your tracks out of a hundred in a heartbeat, the way you do this, the way that sounds, that's just you."
Okay, he's biased in my favour (and most of the things he references as being "mine" might be the stuff I'm secretly ashamed of ). But somewhere along the way, without knowing it, I might have found my own little style.
Mmm. Complicated one, huh ?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:15 AM

I HAVE to agree with Paul here ... I find that the musicians that inspire and influence me the most are from a broad variety of musical genres. I was fortunate enough to be turned on to James Patrick Page at a very early age (with my own money, I bought Led Zeppelin's first record when I was 10 years old). The thing that I love about LZ is that they tackled all different styles of music (blues, Middle Eastern, reggae, jazz, Celtic folk, pop, rockabilly, country/western, etc.) and put their own spin on their take of the inspiration. Not that "Kashmir" is a true Middle Eastern song, but the influence is there and yet it is distinctly Zeppelin. I so much appreciate and respect that ... and to an extent I strive to emulate that. Not that I try to copy Pagey, but the IDEA that he represented that to fuse all different styles of music into your own is the only way to create music that is new.

When I go back an listen to all of the music that I have written or co-written in my life, I am surprised at the wide variety of which I have been a part. There are songs that are pop, blues, metal, alternative, funk, and more! It is the main reason that I want to get my studio off of the ground -- I want to help musicians bring their music to full fruition.

CrossFire Studios
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 AM

Well Mr. Paul. That is cool. I have a good friend who claims I have a certain style as well, and he could pick my stuff out of the barrel too, so I understand how that makes you feel.

I guess to better express my question, I should say, Has there ever been an element in your music you would really like to make noticable? For me, it has always been a great blend of a variety of uncommon instruments. True, as of lately, the blend is getting harder and harder to come up with in terms of originality. I would love to write a dancy song with real strings, and real electric guitars, or just the same, I would love to have a nice acoustic ballad that sort of focuses on a great blend of things that all sound so great together. There are a few bands that I really like what they are doing in terms of originality, but the music just isnt quite to my taste, an example would be the local "Black Heart Procession".

=-Ben