Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HDX useless?!?!?! major RAM usage problems 32bit

VIs use much more RAM than regular plug ins so if you are composing with all VIs one would get more memory errors than one that doesn't use them.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-22-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But if you stay with PT10 you're always going to be running into the ram limits of PT10. I don't see what running zero vi's has to do with going or not going to PT11.
I generally do not have RAM problems with PT 10.

VIs can address far more RAM in PT 11, than with 10.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
I generally do not have RAM problems with PT 10.

VIs can address far more RAM in PT 11, than with 10.
But you do run into low memory problems in PT10 right? You would, especially if you're working in something like 24/96 with large sessions. Sample based vi's can address more ram in PT11 than 10 - pretty much everyone knows that.

QAPLA!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
But you do run into low memory problems in PT10 right? .
After trashing all prefs, repairing permissions, and a full shut down... then the rig went back to performing well.

no, i dont run into memory problems.

28 GB. 6 gb usually allocated for ram disk.

10 HD

works great
Old 10-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_m View Post
Our current system is:
12 core Mac Pro
24 GB of RAM
OS 10.7.4
PT 10.3.0 HDX 3
3x 192
1x HD I/O
Sync I/O
OCX external clock

With the loss of TDM and the fact that most plugin manufactures have yet to make AAX DSP versions means we are relying heavily on AAX Native. This means when mixing and loading up a big session we are constantly bumping up against the 4GB RAM limit of 32 bit applications. We've been utilizing the 3rd party app VEP (Vienna Ensemble Pro) to not completely stop our sessions. However it seems being this close to the 4 GB ram limit Pro Tools starts having other odd problems. Here are a few things we have been experiencing:

Zoom crash- do a bit of editing and fades, then zoom into a region. Just as the waveform display should change, spinning color wheel followed by crash.

Tracks not playing- working away then suddenly where did that BG vocal go?? look at the track all signs point that it should be playing. Make track inactive, reactivate, track plays fine again. Sometimes stereo tracks seem to only play out one side, deactivate / reactivate and all is fine again.

Bad mute automation causing regions to mute where they shouldn't be muted- after a " cut time " operation (where some mute automation was cut causing about an 1/8 note of a quick mute) regions before the mute sometimes don't play or play quietly. After deleting or moving break points of the mute at the cut time area all plays well!

Delay compensation slop- after working for a while on a session near the memory wall, with delay compensation at maximum, the timing of some of the tracks seems off by a bit. Something that's really hard to put your finger on but after a reboot the groove of the track works again!!

I'm not sure all of these are related to low RAM. I would love to hear from other Pro Tools 10 users who are working in sessions that are pushing the RAM limit. Sessions where you occasionally get the " Pro Tools is Critically Low on Memory and could not save the session. " error.

I believe there are a few things Avid could do to help this situation.

One, it would be nice to at least know where you stand with ram usage. Add a meter that gives some feedback before we get into the danger zone.

Two, FREEZE TRACK. I know certain things like hardware inserts make this more difficult to implement but on tracks like that if there was a pop up dialog that said "unable to freeze track - hardware insert" or something we would still be able to freeze other tracks in the session. Currently our only alternative is printing the tracks that have a lot of plugins on them. However, printing these tracks gets much more complicated when working in professional mix session. Plugin keying, pan / send automation, grouping, vca masters and others make printing the tracks much more of a chore. Also freeze track would eliminate the need for VEP ( Vienna Ensemble Pro )

Obviously fully 64 bit support would be ideal but I understand that would be a ways off and will take more support from 3rd party plugin manufactures.

Same could be said for AAX DSP plugins

We're in the middle of a major mix session and HDX has completely crippled us. The switch to HDX is costing us tens of thousands of dollars in down time and may result in our record being delayed. Pro Tools doesn't really feel very "pro" anymore.

The most info I've seen on this topic has been here: http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ror/31640-3779
HI there!!! I'm having the same output issue (tracks not playing and gets normal after deactivate/reactivate plugins) and some stereo tracks plays just one side... Using HDX and DSP plugins ...
Do you guys know what could it be?
Best!!!
Old 10-10-2019, 01:45 AM

Are you running PT10 as well? This thread is from 2013
Old 10-10-2019, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Are you running PT10 as well? This thread is from 2013
No... Pro tools ultimate... but having these issues...
Old 10-10-2019, 03:07 AM

these and many of these issues are existent in 12.3.1, 12.8.3, 2018.3 ... pro tools loses ins and outs.. sometimes i open sessions and i see my master insert which is assigned to a specific pair in ALL my sessions either doesnt work or is playing out different outputs (can see on my meters on my burl)... closing sessions and reopening sometimes fixes.. sometimes pro tools has to be restarted... pro tools just arbitrarily moves inputs and outputs ... its not just pro tools. it is the avid hd driver.. because i find the same issue happens with LOGIC if i use the hd driver. they're my observations anyway
Old 10-31-2019, 05:34 AM

interesting to read this.
I've had a lot of these problems in the past and always thought it was related to my 3rd party I/O (Symphony MKI).

Wonder if it happens with AVID I/O too...

What I still have a lot (even on 2019.6) is that my sample rate sometimes jumps to 192KHz and locks there, resulting in me having to do a complete reset of both my interfaces (using 100ft Digilink cables). Happens every three days or something like that, really annoying.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:55 AM

Have you updated to latest firmware? FWIW, my Symphony MkII does not act like that.