Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-23-2002, 11:37 AM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.
Default Outboard Reverb WHILE Tracking Vocals

Hey- I am in the middle of searching about this and wanted to see if anybody has valuable experience that I can borrow from.

When I'm tracking someone that's doing a vocal, and I'm running them directly into PT thru the Digi 001, I cannot apply effects to them (like a reverb or delay) because of the latency situation. (right?)

I am thinking of grabbing a little Nanoverb or some outboard type of effects box that CAN process effects that the singer will be able to hear. Is this possible AND if so, what are you guys doing it with and HOW??

As usual, I appreciate the help if there's some wisdom to be had on this one. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 09-23-2002, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Outboard Reverb WHILE Tracking Vocals

Just get a small mixer, any cheap one will do for monitoring, combined with reverb.

Mixers still have their uses [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

John K

London N19
Old 09-23-2002, 07:31 PM

What I usually do is, creat an "aux input", set the input be your Mic pre, then you can insert plug in or out board effect on it when live track from this channel, but you won't get effects when you play back your record (of coz you don't need to listen to the effect when you want to check out what you recorded)

of coz. you need an audio track for recording
Old 09-23-2002, 09:19 PM

Location: Middle of Virginia, just far enough away from civilization to be able to relax.

I think that will work . . . now I just gotta get an effects box!!! Hmmmmmmm- I'm not completely sure what he said.
Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.6, using Pro Tools LE 7.4.2/Digi 003/Digi C24 w-DV Toolkit 2, a pair of Avalon 737 VT-737sp's, Great River MP-2NV, RME OctaMic II, pair of Mackie HR-824's, my best mics? a Neumann U87 and a Royer R-121 . . . best amps? Bogner Ecstasy 101B and a Bogner Uberschall-Revision Blue . . . All my drums are BFD2 triggered by Roland TD-20s kit, with live Zildjian cymbals, Korg Triton LE 88 with weighted keys . . . lots of other toys that make beautiful music . . .
Old 09-24-2002, 09:05 AM

Yeah, it works, you can test it by inserting an plug-in reverb,

If you want to buy an effect box, not sure about your buget, but a TC M300 is really cool.
just $250-!
Old 09-24-2002, 10:38 AM

Yup. I do it just like that. Cheap reverb on a boards aux send. It's just enough to give the singer what they need.

Chris
Old 09-24-2002, 11:16 AM

I track vocals all the time in PTLE while using the Dverb supplied by Digi. Depending on your computer, you should be able to keep the hardware buffer at 128 or 256 samples and should experience practically no noticeable latency in the typical mixes. Try that before you go buy an outboard reverb. I got rid of my outboard reverb gear with the exception of the reverm in my digital mixer (which I hardly ever use).
Old 09-24-2002, 06:07 PM

I'll have to check that "buffer" thing . . . . I've tried this a few different ways and always end up reverb-less.

I was under the impression that I either have "latency" ON or OFF . . . I wasn't aware that there are degrees of it available.
Old 09-24-2002, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Zone:
I think that will work . . . now I just gotta get an effects box!!! Hmmmmmmm- I'm not completely sure what he said.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In my project studio I have all sorts of high end processors (H3000,PCM 70's,etc) but if I may suggest a wonderful processor that can be found used and cheap ($150-250): Rocktron Intellifex. One of the first 24 bit processors to come out. Originally designed to be used in the 80's guitar rack systems....but ultra clean reverbs and delays...8 voice lush chorus',ducking reverb or ducking delay, plus rocktron's HUSH noise reduction system(useful to gate noise). Used to list at $1200...$700-800 street price. Now you can find them under $300.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:15 PM

Sounds nice, where can I have a look of the Rocktron Intellifex?