How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2020, 04:04 PM

Default Issue With 1st Sound Fading In

Hi, weird issue, I've never had before.

Hard to explain, and this doesn't seem to happen all the time at all, just randomly per song, BUT if it does happen on a song, it will always happen on that song/track and not just magically go away.

If not solo'ing anything ever, all is fine. But when this happens, the issue is, if I solo a track, lets say a kick track. Then play, the first kick will kinda fade in, then after that all kicks are fine UNTIL there is a pause of kicks. Then same thing happens to the first kick coming back.

Tried this with zero automation on anything and 0 plug ins or processing on anything. Sad thing, is this translates to the bounce to disk. So this is completely unacceptable.

To help understand what it is, do you guys ever have that issue when starting and stopping over and over in a certain area as your working, seldom the first sound made will either fade in quickly, or only come out the left speaker ? This I know is a common thing, I heard lots experiencing. But its a no harm no foul thing cause all sound comes back quickly and never is effected in a recording. Its like a playback glitch PT has had for years.

Ok, well that exact thing has somehow just crept its way into permanently effecting certain tracks sometimes in certain songs for me ! Anyone else experience this and what is the problem ? And is there a fix ?

Thanks guys -
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 12-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Issue With 1st Sound Fading In

Only time I’ve experienced this was due to to a plugin - Slate FG-X. It too would be in the bounce and not just on playback.

Never had it (that I’m aware of) any other time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Only time I’ve experienced this was due to to a plugin - Slate FG-X. It too would be in the bounce and not just on playback.

Never had it (that I’m aware of) any other time.
Sardi, thanks for the great input ! Cause you must be onto something. I happen to have had Slate FG-X on the MasterFader originally !! But I took it off and it still did it (that was part of the plugins I was talking about when I said I removed them). Maybe I will try to save it with the plugin removed, and quit and relaunch.

Thanks again though ! Excellent insight brother !
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 12-25-2020, 07:01 PM

NP.

It shouldn’t happen when the plugin is removed though. Maybe create a new session and import session data without FG-X instantiated and see how you go.

The issue for me (and others) was a fade in from one channel only. It was said to be addressed in the last update, but it wasn’t. I even made a video for Steven showing him the issue. Nothing came of it and we all know what happened with the FG-X v2 update.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Assuming "Fade-in" in the transport bar is off/set to 0?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 12-26-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
NP.

It shouldn’t happen when the plugin is removed though. Maybe create a new session and import session data without FG-X instantiated and see how you go.

The issue for me (and others) was a fade in from one channel only. It was said to be addressed in the last update, but it wasn’t. I even made a video for Steven showing him the issue. Nothing came of it and we all know what happened with the FG-X v2 update.
Yea that was indeed the problem. IDK why or how it was still doing it with it removed, but after saving, quitting and relaunching with that particular plugin removed, problem was solved.

For me I notice it changes. Its not always the left channel, but for the most part is. Other times is just both channels and sometimes its not just a fade in but like a barely there thing.

Either way, removing the plug in does indeed solve the issue and also putting the plug in on does CAUSE the issue. Oddly, the issue doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks so much for spotting my thread, and then connecting the dots to help me.

Also, I am real surprised its taking this long for Steven to address this issue. Totally unacceptable. I was going to ask if anyone has reported this. Cause I sure am asap now.

Do you know if this is only PT related ? Cause I can't see how they would put this off for so long if its effecting everyone across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Assuming "Fade-in" in the transport bar is off/set to 0?
LOL, yes of course. And to reiterate, if that was the case, it'd do it on every track evenly. Not just random ones time to time and differently each time.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 12-26-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Issue With 1st Sound Fading In

I don’t recall if it’s related to PT only or if it affects other DAWs and plugin formats.

There’s a few older threads on Gearslutz discussing the issue. You could check there and see if people using the VST/AU version suffered the same issue. I don’t think it was just PT.

Also, the issue has been reported. Slate are well aware of the issue. It won’t get fixed. If you must use the plugin, add some silence to the start of your session or try using a time adjuster plugin before the FG-X insert.

Old 12-26-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
the issue has been reported. Slate are well aware of the issue. It won’t get fixed. If you must use the plugin, add some silence to the start of your session or try using a time adjuster plugin before the FG-X insert.
Interesting. Because I had silence before my track and it was still doing it. Unless you mean it has to be the same audio clip as the audio is on and a clip of silence and not just total absent space silence ?

That said, what in the world is a time adjuster plugin ? lol I never heard of them.

So after playing around with it, I came up with a half-ass solution. It actually worked for like 90% of the tracks but for some reason did it just one time I one of the tracks. What I did was take the plugin off the master fader, but put it on a new aux bus. Then routed the track to that bus, so same processing was happening. Then routed that new aux to the masterfader and bounced from the master fader. And it worked.

Not sure why, but maybe try that too and tell me if it works for you. The issue seems to be if you are bouncing from the same track the plugin is on. (but could be wrong )
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 12-26-2020, 11:16 PM

I wouldn’t do that. The issue is intermittent, so your fix might appear to work but it may rear its head again the next time you open the project.

Pushing all the audio along the timeline a couple of seconds is what consistently circumvented the problem for me. But, I’m mastering not mixing, so it’s not going to cause any sync issues etc.

Time adjuster is a delay plugin in PT that allows you to delay the audio of the track it’s inserted on in samples.